• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Africa

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
New Zealand to tour Africa in Tests and ODI's.

Schedule:
One Day friendly
NZ vs Namibia, Jaffery Sports Club Ground, Nairobi (neutral), February 10th
1st ODI
Kenya vs NZ, Gymkhana Club Ground, Nairobi, February 12th
2nd ODI
Kenya vs NZ, Ruaraka Sports Club Ground, Nairobi, February 14th
3rd ODI
Kenya vs NZ, Gymkhana Club Ground, Nairobi, February 16th

South Africa vs New Zealand
Schedule TBA

Zimbabwe vs New Zealand
Unconfirmed

Last edited:

NZTailender

New Zealand to rest 4 players for first leg of African tour.
Stephen Fleming, Daniel Vettori, Shane Bond and Brendon McCullum are to be left out of the initial NZ squad to tour Africa it was confirmed today.
The four 'high profile' players will join the squad after the series against Kenya is complete.
Coach John Bracewell explained this decision: "I believe that by resting our best players and not giving them any game time, they will be fit and in form to play South Africa, which is more important to us than the series against Kenya."
"Peter Fulton will be trusted with the captaincy, and (Scott) Styris will be his deputy. Peter McGlashan replaces Brendon McCullum behind the stumps, Michael Papps will open the batting while Brendon Diamanti and Mathew Harvie will be rewarded for good domestic form." he said today from his air conditioned, bullet proof robot-man suit while getting stuck in to a bucket of deep fried chicken.

NZ 15 man squad to play Kenya and Namibia
1. Peter Fulton (c), 2. Scott Styris (vc), 3. Peter McGlashan (wk), 4. Brendon Diamanti, 5. Mathew Harvie, 6. Ross Taylor, 7. Lou Vincent, 8. Jeetan Patel, 9. Michael Papps, 10. Jacob Oram, 11. Michael Mason, 12. James Franklin, 13. Mark Gillespie, 14. Craig McMillan, 15. Andre Adams.

Team expected to take on Namibia:
New Zealand XI
1. M Papps
2. L Vincent
3. R Taylor
4. P Fulton*
5. S Styris
6. J Oram
7. P McGlashan+
8. J Franklin
9. B Diamanti
10. M Harvie
11. J Patel

Last edited:

NZTailender

Kenya announce team to play New Zealand.
Kenya today announced their team to take on NZ in the first one day international on the 12th.
While the team is enthusiastic, they've hit out at NZ's coach John Bracewell who labelled the series "unimportant."
"We love our cricket and enjoy playing against the top level teams" captain and star batsman Steve Tikolo said at the nets in Nairobi today "We were looking forward to playing against guys like Daniel Vettori and Stephen Fleming. These are guys we look up to and yet when there's an opportunity to play them, we're not able to due to pig heads like John Bracewell. In any case, we're looking forward to the challenge."

Kenya XI to take on NZ
1. M Ouma+
2. D Obuya
3. R Shah
4. S Tikolo*
5. T Mishra
6. C Obuyo
7. T Odoyo
8. H Varaiya
9. J Kamande
10. P Ongondo
11. L Onyango

Namibia announces team for friendly.
Namibia also named their team to take on the Black Caps.
Namibia XI
1. D Kuelder
2. M Karg+
3. JB Burger*
4. D Kotze
5. G Snyman
6. B Murgatroyd
7. L Burger
8. S Burger
9. B van Rooi
10. B Kotze
11. R van Ruuren

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain

Namibia announces team for friendly.
Namibia also named their team to take on the Black Caps.
Namibia XI
1. D Kuelder
2. M Karg+
3. JB Burger*
4. D Kotze
5. G Snyman
6. B Murgatroyd
7. L Burger
8. S Burger
9. B van Rooi
10. B Kotze
11. R van Ruuren

Pulled straight out of your 'Guide to the 2003 World Cup' book I see. ;)

Blaze

Banned
Can't see how Fulton could get the captaincy over Styris or Oram. Not really captaincy material...

NZTailender

IIRC Fulton is captain of Canterbury (or was) and has been talked up as a future captain of the Black Caps.

There has been no indication of Styris or Oram becoming captain, though.

NZTailender

Namibia vs New Zealand, One Day Friendly

Scorecard
Ball by ball

Black Caps unconvincing against the Namibians
New Zealand kicked off their tour with a win against Namibia in Nairobi today.
The morning started badly when it was revealed rookie quick Mat Harvie was injured during a a quick training session before play. Things went from somewhat bad to slightly worse when Lou Vincent fell for just 7 runs with the score on 25, beautifully bowled by van Vuuren.
Solid contributions by Ross Taylor (79), Michael Papps (51), Peter Fulton (45) and Jacob Oram (35) ensured the Black Caps posted a respectable total against the minnows.
The Kotze brothers nabbed four wickets between them, with van Vuuren's 2-38 the pick of the Namibian bowling.

Harvie's last minute replacement Mark Gillespie struck early to clean bowl Karg for six and 19 runs later, in his first over to boot, Brendon Diamanti removed Namibia's (arguably) best batsman JB Burger for 8, fittingly caught behind by another new face - Peter McGlashan.
Kuelder and Murgatroyd then stuck it out, denying the Kiwi bowlers any easy wickets with a 147 run partnership. Kuelder was on 91 in the second last over when he was a denied a century by Jacob Oram, who caught him off the bowling of Mark Gillespie.

The Black Caps won't worry too much about not running through their weaker counterparts, but they will want to beat Kenya with a smoother performance.

New Zealand 8-256
R Taylor 79, M Papps 51
R van Vuuren 2-38, B Kotze 2-48

Namibia 3-179
D Kuelder 91, B Murgatroyd 65*
M Gillespie 2-29, B Diamanti 1-26

Man of the match: D Kuelder

Attachments

Last edited:

NZTailender

Scorecard
Commentary

New Zealand easily overcome Kenya
An un-spectacular but solid performance by New Zealand saw them take out the first one day international by 58 runs.
Batting first for a second time on the tour, Lou Vincent fell early as did Ross Taylor both victim to the impressive quick bowling of Peter Ongondo.
Michael Papps looked in fine touch, shuffling his way to 72 from 95 deliveries.
Peter Fulton (43) and Jacob Oram (4) contributed well while debutant Peter McGlashan impressed pundits with a hard fought 37 not out that included no boundaries.

As expected, Steve Tikolo was the only batsman to put any serious fight to the Black Caps. He too fought hard like McGlashan in making 43 with one boundary before he succumbed to Scott Styris's medium pace.
Brendon Diamanti picked up his first international wicket, trapping Collins Obuya in front for 13.
Overall, it was an good bowling display by New Zealand, with half of the wickets coming from the bowlers effort (LBW or bowled).
James Franklin was easily the stand out, pipping Papps for man of the match when he finished with the figures of 3-26. Off break bowler Jeetan Patel cleaned up the tail to end up with the figures of 5.4-0-23-3.

New Zealand 5-224 (50.)
M Papps 72, P Fulton 43
P Ongondo 2-37, H Varaiya 1-38

Kenya all out 166 (40.4)

S Tikolo 43, T Odoyo 30
J Patel 3-23, J Franklin 3-26

MOTM: J Franklin

Both sides unchanged.
It was confirmed after the match that both sides would remain unchanged leading into their next match.
However, John Bracewell hinted that he may make changes for the third ODI if NZ wins the second and wrap the series up.

Attachments

NZTailender

Scorecard
Commentary

Kenyans smash New Zealand in Nairobi
Any hopes the Kiwi's had of clean sweeping Kenya were dismissed by a top class bowling effort lead by Thomas Odoyo and finished by Jimmy Kamande.
Batting first, New Zealands top order was rocked by quick and accurate bowling by Odoyo who dismissed both of the New Zealand openers with a couple of pearler's.
Michael Papps was clean bowled with the ball finding a gap to take out middle stump while Lou Vincent did manage to get something behind the ball, unfortunately for him it was his pad and he was duly given out LBW.
New Zealand fought back well from the early blows with Ross Taylor and Peter Fulton putting on a partnership that looked like burying the Kenyans.
Steve Tikolo brought himself on to bowl and soon after got the wicket of his opposite number, Peter Fulton caught by Collins Obuya.
New Zealand never really recovered after that and the rot set in. Jimmy Kamande's and Hiren Varaiya's accurate spin bowling cleaned up the New Zealand lower order - all out for just 164.

It was a defendable target, especially against a minnow, but New Zealand found it hard going against a determined opposition.
Mark Gillespie, in particular, bowled superbly in taking 1-16 from nearly 7 overs. However, the rest of the bowling was ineffective to say the least as Kenya chased it down in easy fashion.
A very mature innings from David Obuya (60* off 101), helped along by Ravi Shah (32) and Steve Tikolo (41), dealt New Zealand an embarrassing defeat.
Jimmy Kamande was awarded man of the match for his superb off break bowling, and was highly praised by his captain.
"He bowled better than I could ever dream. He showed real control and really gave us a great chance of winning the match, which we did" Tikolo said.
"I'm so proud of my team. We've shown we can compete at the top level. I think we surprised the Black Caps today and I hope we can roll on with our confidence and claim a series win."
An emotionless Peter Fulton spoke after his counterpart; "Err, yeah, well...the game was ours for the taking when we were 2 for 90 odd. Rossy and myself were cruising fine and then we lost wickets quickly and never recovered" he said "I think we're definitely missing the expertise of some guys like Stephen and Danny. But we have to try and win games with who we've got and we did it in the first match and I'm confident we can do it in the third. Full credit to the Kenyans, though. They were hungry for the win while we just sort of had a cruising attitude and never gave it much thought. We will only be making minor changes for the next match - Lou Vincent will face the first ball of the innings while James Franklin will bowl at first change."

New Zealand all out 164 (44.5)
R Taylor 55, P Fulton 34
J Kamande 4-26, H Varaiya 2-23

Kenya 2-165 (36.5)
D Obuya 60*, S Tikolo 41*
M Gillespie 1-16, S Styris 1-34

Kenya won by 8 wickets

MOTM: J Kamande

Series: Kenya 1 - New Zealand 1

Attachments

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would never happen, I mean the Black Caps are hopeless but they are still a class above Kenya.