• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Match Previews Four Day, Round 2

nibbs

International Captain
i'm helping slats out by the way...

Division 1

Kent vs South Australia

Some players are bound to enter the wrong dressing in what might just be a turbulent class between Kent and South Australia. Ben Allen, who spent three freely successful season's at Kent earning, is the only player that might actually head into the home team room, but it'd be pretty funny none the less if he did by mistake.

"It'll be good to see some of my old mates, but I'm afriad I'll giving 110% to see them beaten. I'm a professional so I won't let emotion get in the way." People are expecting a rough reception for Allen when he makes his return to Canterbury.

On the other hand its gonna be rather emotional for R Stratton. WCC's premier allrounder plays his old team, although according to the player that wont really be the case. "The new manager has really played around with the side. There'll be several unfamiliar faces in the squad. I'll be sure to say 'hi' to my old pal Hugh [Alexby] but thats about it really"

South Australia have to be regarded favourites in this match. They are attempting to make it a three peat in the four day game. Kent in their first dig at top division four day cricket wanna make something of it.

In my honest opinion there's not seperating these two teams. Kent has got excellent depth in their batting line up. With Manjrekar batting at eight, the South Australian bowlers are going to have to work hard to bowl Kent out. Batting at eight for South Australia is Ferguson (i'm assuming that btw, cause K French is listed at 8 for SA) who is a couple of steps down in batting class from Manjrekar. Kent have got the advantage with the bat.

Both bowling attacks are similar but I think again that Kent have the egde here. Ferguson, Graham, Axelby and Taylor are the main stays of the SA attack and it's hard to give them an edge over the likes of an attack featuring Stratton, Onley, Khan, Hawkins and Dyer.

It's going to be close, but I'm picking Kent by a nose...

Karnataka vs Yorkshire

Yorkshire's time in the top flight is now more than ever in serious crapola. Looking across a talented division one, it's hard to see them winning anything, especially against Karnataka. It'd be fear to say that there are teams as low as division 4 that would fancy there chance against a team once consider the UKs best.

Across the park its a simple case the Karnataka have too much talent. Kale, Wilkins, Maxwell, Keegan, Rangnekar, Benkeistine and Jones makes for a formidle batting line up. W Tendulkar will carry the burden for Yorkshire. He is going to have to fight off the likes Ali, Wadekar and Malinga. No easy task by all means. If he always weight will fall upon S Weir, so hope is indeed thin for Yorkshire.

Not much more can said of this game except Karnataka by ten lengths

Lancashire vs Surrey

Last edited:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
you doing any more nibbs? if so I look for to them:)

The ones done so far are very good...

nibbs

International Captain
Lancashire Vs Surrey

ummm, yeh. I've never really liked Surrey as a team much, but hey, I can't help what I think. Lancashire are very underrated, but imo not the best British WCC team. Both these sides are packed with potential and will probably be happy with consildating their division one status for another season.

Expect the cool heads of Lancashire like Hayden and Dravid to be too good for Surrey bowling attack. They don't honestly think they've got a bowler who can relied on week in, week out. But hey, that's my opinion, I could be wrong

Surrey have Pandit (i think that's his name) and he's going to have to go nuts if Surrey are to get any from this game. They've got their work cut out for them here, and he's going to have lead the Surrey batting charge. Lancashire have a good bowling attack and they should be troubled here.

Lancashire to win, and come the end of the season Surrey will probably be back in division 2

nibbs

International Captain
Division 5

Mashonaland vs Auckland
After seadily rebuilding over the past few season Auckland seem ready to begin their charge. They're in top form in the one day and I wont be surprised if that continues in this four day round. Mashonaland although promoted to division 4 in the one day, just don't seem to making much progress. They're going to need to pull something out of the hat here against Auckland. They've finished runners up in division 5, for 2 seasons running, a run that imo, is gonna end this season...

Auckland's batting led Smith and Roberts should have a field day. An attacking featuring Mushtaq, Sami, J Barnwell and H Bradley is hardly one to make batsmen drop their nuts. Auckland should be gunning for the 5 batting bonus points on offer.

After Mongia Mashonaland have no one that can be relied on. Bravo, Kemp, Liyanage and Plummer should be able to rap this innings up in reasonable time.

Auckland should crusie to an easy win here.

nibbs

International Captain
Northern Districts vs Guyana

Northern Districts, yep its a name which make me laugh out loud. Where'd they go wrong? They had a manager who was just plain dumb. While most teams steadily grew better in WCC, Northern Districts steadily grew worse. What most predicted has happened, they sit in division 5 in both divisions, the only side to have dropped in both forms to this low low division. It's comments like this that might just make the long suffering Guyana manager Mister Wright smile...

Yep, Jenkins and Jayawardene are a dream combo to have 4 and 5. They'll probably be laughing a fair bit when noticing who they'll up against, Perera, Kitson, Khan, Lacey and Zaheer Khan just to name a few.

Guyana, still have a long to go before the can reach the great heights of other teams in WCC. Their bowling for instance is nothing flashy. But neiter is NDs batting. The weight goes on Fleming, Smith and Manhus to pull something off. They are the players who hold the key to success for the ND side. If they fire, it might just inspire they're bowlers and anything is possible.

Guyana haven't won a single four day match under their current manager, however I'm expecting that to change this weekend

Jamaica vs Free State

Due to Neil Pickup's bizarre obsession with one day success the Free State four day side, is not one in good shape. Jamaica have not amounted to much in WCC to this stage.

Jamaica to win...probably...(nb: can't be bothered writing anymore)

Slats4ever

New South Wales V Mumbai

Definately Mumbai's batsman sternest task of the season. The NSW bowling line up is almost the best in WCC, and has only been strengthened this season by the addition of Q Moore. It's very hard to see Mumbai getting anything out've this game.

If Mumbai are a chance their top order has to fire. The game could quite easily be decided in the first session. If Mumbai can stand firm through the NSW bowling onslaught then maybe they can come away with some points. However I can't see this happening. Even if Moore can't reproduce his heroics of last fortnight, Ferguson, Bullbeck and Eaton all wait.

Mumbai were definately shown up last time by Tamil Nadu so it'll be interesting to see if they crumble again when things start going wrong again. Admittedly the NSW batting line up is a little out've place in Div 2 and the Mumbai bowlers have to bowl with heart if they are to be in with a chance. I just can't see however the Mumbai bowling line up which is a little weak themeselves getting on top.

NSW should get this one pretty easily... If there batting line up does fail then there bowlers will be inspired to bowl with even more venom.

Tamil Nadu v Western Australia

With Western Australia's manager on a long holiday in hospital visiting his sick elephent the Tamil NAdu side should have it easy here. They're class all round and will win.

Hampshire v Queensland

Queensland are going to have their best cricket to this match. This match however should produce a lot of runs from both teams bats. However I think Hampshire are going to get more. There isn't a weakness in their batting line up. They have a lot of experience and a lot of youthful excitement.

There bowlers are going to have to put it on a length consistently or otherwise they will pay. The key for them really rests in Salvi being able to bowl good consistant line and lengths and mix it up a lot. If Salvi can get going the QLD side usually lifts aroudnd him.

Hampshire's bowling strength lies in former NSW spinner McDowell and whilst he hasn't set the world on fire at Hampshire yet he might be in store for something this round. The wicket just might turn enough for him and consistenly enough as the game gets on that he might take 10 or more wickets. Even if he doesn't fire though the QLD batting line up isn't strong enough to put enough runs on the board against Hampshire and Hampshire should run out to a victory.

Slats4ever

Worcestershire V Western Province

Both of these sides have totally different motives. Western Province want to win promotion this year, Worcester wanna avoid it. As a result both will be playing with heart. Can Province keep their early momentum going and will Worcester slump to another big 4 day defeat.

It's hard when you look at the Worcester side to see how they're going to do it,. In the past they have proved to be one of Province's bogey teams who always pull out their best cricket when playing Province.

All over the park however in every department Province is far stronger. The middle order of Worcester are really going to have to bind very well if they are going to get anything out've this one. Lovell needs to continue his form going and Bowler is going to have be strong and resilliant. If this happens then Province's bowlers will just have to remain strong and know the wickets will fall. They have 6 bowlers all who can destroy oppositions and I think this might be too much for poor Worcester.

The Worcester bowlers have got a tough and long job and they have to understand they might be in the field for a few days. If Province can get on top from the start with Llewellyn and Darden then there will be no looking back and Province will pile on the runs.

Province are expecting to lap Worcester here even though it's only the 100m freestyle.

Glamorgan V Tasmania

These sort've games are so important to these teams as they are ones where they can realistically win. And they'll need to win if they are to avoid relegation.

To me Tasmania are a more finely tuned engine than Glamorgan and they should this one.They have three main stars in their side in FLower, Canning and Akram. If one of these play to their full potential then Glamorgan will struggle.

Y Engineer is the main draw card for Andre and his Glamorgan boys. He'll need to fire here because there are too many players in the Tasmanian side that if they are playing against poor bowlers will rip them to shreds.

Canterbury V Warwickshre

The match of the round in my opinion. Both these sides are right in the mix of it for this division and it's the first game of this nature in division 3. where the two of the big 3 are playing against each other.

Canterbury at home... On a turning pitch with O Clarke might be a tough proposition for most... Not for Warwickshire. The key lies with skipper Sriram for Warwicks. If he seems unsettled by Clarke and co then the rest of the young order might to. They can however bat down to 9 which could be a big saving grace in this game. Clarke better put his skates on and lift the rest of the bowlers or they could struggle here.

It's going to be grat to see Nelson and Gregson bowl against a good batting line up. Nelson has always struggled in the past and never lived up to potential. but now that he has someone of Gregson's class hurling them down it'll be interesting to see if they can extract nything out've this pitch.

If they can and either of them takes wickets it's game set match. But they have to get something out've this spinning pitch.

DJellett

International Debutant
nibbs said:

Northern Districts, yep its a name which make me laugh out loud. Where'd they go wrong? They had a manager who was just plain dumb. While most teams steadily grew better in WCC, Northern Districts steadily grew worse. What most predicted has happened, they sit in division 5 in both divisions, the only side to have dropped in both forms to this low low division. It's comments like this that might just make the long suffering Guyana manager Mister Wright smile...

Yep, Jenkins and Jayawardene are a dream combo to have 4 and 5. They'll probably be laughing a fair bit when noticing who they'll up against, Perera, Kitson, Khan, Lacey and Zaheer Khan just to name a few.

Guyana, still have a long to go before the can reach the great heights of other teams in WCC. Their bowling for instance is nothing flashy. But neiter is NDs batting. The weight goes on Fleming, Smith and Manhus to pull something off. They are the players who hold the key to success for the ND side. If they fire, it might just inspire they're bowlers and anything is possible.

Guyana haven't won a single four day match under their current manager, however I'm expecting that to change this weekend

Jamaica vs Free State

Due to Neil Pickup's bizarre obsession with one day success the Free State four day side, is not one in good shape. Jamaica have not amounted to much in WCC to this stage.

Are you calling ME dumb?
For your sake I hope not

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats4ever said:
Worcestershire V Western Province

Both of these sides have totally different motives. Western Province want to win promotion this year, Worcester wanna avoid it.
:-O :-O :-O

Worcs wanna avoid Promotion??? do you have proof to back these allegations Ian?? Match Fixing i think :p :p :p ;) ;) ;)

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
nibbs said:
Jamaica vs Free State

I'm hurt deeply by your comments nibbs.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
nibbs said:

Well, I'm here to sort it out now.

Slats4ever

Victoria V Leicestershire

A game taht both teams really want to win! Both teams have slim promotion hopes this year and a win here would really see them in with a chance. The revamped MCG is offering 2 for the price of one tickets so a big crowd is expected!

The batting line up for the Vics looks strong with skipper Hodge running down the stairs at the fall of the 5th wicket. Laurie Yapp moves down the order as brother Freddy moves up.. Is this a sign that things aren't as they seem at Victoria. The Leicestershire's bowlers will look to exploit that with Thomas Baig and Chapman looking to destroy them twice! I don't think however they'll be able to do it. There's a lot of strength in thin the Vic batting line up with Matthew Elliot perhaps hinting this might be his last season during the week. He'll definately be keen to go out on a wining note and taht starts here.

Harwood wasn't overly impressive in the match against the Comets it's important that he bounces back here. Like the Leicester bowlers I think Victorias will also struggle with young Cometer putting together a good batting line up for this one. Young Underwood will be looking to perform at three so the rest of the long batting line up can prosper. This game I think could get really interesting and close.

I'm tipping the Vics by a nose only because I think that the patriotic home crowd will lift a side and lift their captain Elliot to a good performance.

Somerset V Colts

When is the Colts side going to get going? Will it take a trip to England to get them into gear. I think it'll take more than that. Their confidence is riding so low right now and as much as skipper Age tries to turn the ship around I sense that things are rife in Sri Lanka.

Somerset have risen as a team who might surprise a lot here even the over confident Blewy who is so sure of himself. The two Indians at the top of the order are good... real good. Then the middle order is ultra strong led by nuggety Aussie Justin Langer. Cook was good last time he played first class but can he do it again. Age has gone with a very strong bowling line up in the hope of destroying this batting line up but I fear that it may not be enough. To get the Somerset line up out twice a big push has to come from Lee and Cook, otherwise it could be tough.

The Colts batting also looks a little weak this round as their confidence has been shot to pieces. Troughton, given the aded pressure of opening seems to be the only in form bat and he's gonna have to lead the side here. If he can get going the game might be closer than thought as he might effect the others confidence.

Age will be praying for a result here. Colts future as a 4 day side i think is resting on it. They're just too down at the moment in the four day game to do it i think. I hope they prove me wrong, because they're a good team and a win here would go so far.

Karachi v ACT

Was Colts a fluke? This game is going to answer a lot about Karachi... If they stand up and fight and maybe win, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility they'll be riding a huge momentum wave. I wonder as just a mediocre journalist if Blewy even cares about Karachi.. or if he thinks they're a chance to defeat his mighty team. I get the impression he's sitting in the dressing room celebrating already he's that confident.

Rumours have been rife in the cricketing world all week that Karachi captain Sean Pollock has been holding a burning desire to smash Blewy for the past 3 years. IT was alleged Sean Pollock wanted to revive his career at South Australia and would play for free, however blewy had nothing of it. Sean continued to ask however Blewy then returned with threats on Seans family. It's a wonder this rumour has taken so long to come to life however Sean is ready for this game... And it's personal

As captain of the Karachi side he has stressed this is Karachi's most important game ever. Kears and Sean addressed the boys and told them that this one's for Sean! Blewy sat with his boys and told them they were going to win. It's worked in the past why wouldn't it again.

This match is going to be ruled by the ball I think. Karachi's bowlers are ready to stand up and put the ACT bats under a lot of pressure. Ponting and Lara now dad's in this game are slower than they used to be and they will struggle against Karachi's raw pace.

I think Karachi could pull off a big upset here and Sean will exact revenge on Blewy.