• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Match Previews 4 day Round 1

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
I'm starting these early this week... I'll add your matches as soon as both managers have given there teams in...

Division 1

South Australia V Karnataka

A new week, another mouth watering clash between the two giants. If fans hadn't seen enough last week, this week they're at it again. Last week Dawson stole the show in guiding SA home, however this week he's out injured and Karnataka will be looking to exact revenge.

The lead up for South Australia wasn't ideal, with Broncoman spending much time on the phone to his old players at ACT, it was rumoured that on Tuesday night he actually drove down there to be with them not his current team. The South Australian team however have vowed to put this behind them and take this weeks big clash.

Once again I see Karnataka going in as favourites despite last weeks loss. Their batting strength an experience should shine through over 4 days. The young South Australian side doesn't have the years in WCC that the Karnataka boys do. Keegan, Wadeker and Jones all looked potentially dangerous with the bat last week and it's hard to see not one of them standing up and holding the SA attack at bay.

Much has been said about the Karnatak bowling line up, especially by those close to the South Australian side in Blewy and Broncoman. This, I only believe will make them stand up even more this weekend. Also I see the South Australian batting line up as being vulnerable to high pressure, and a 5 day match against SA's strongest rivals is as much pressure that there is in WCC.

This game should live up to all expectations, a showcase of top cricket. However Karnatak should win comfortably without being pushed to hard.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hmm very interesting, i think ill prove u wrong and get the cash, but on a side note, dawson is my 2nd choice keeper for 4d so we wont feel his loss till we get back to the 1 day games....

keeper up the good work though slats...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nibbs said:
i'm rooting for karnataka.

btw, ian get onto d3...stat
of course you are, cause after everything you said about my side in the off season ur gonna look like a complete goose if i win the titles....

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
of course you are, cause after everything you said about my side in the off season ur gonna look like a complete goose if i win the titles....
Thats the same reason i thought Simon...

HAHAHAHA

Slats4ever

Division 3

Tasmania V Canterbury

"God Save the Tasmanian 4 day team" is not what Tasmanian fans wanted to hear after their drubbing last week in their first OD encounter. It seems as though Ash Chaulk has lost all hope already.

Canterbury's 4 day side however is looking hot. Over 4 days this side is going to be tough to beat for Tasmania. It has a lot of experience with guys like Chanderpaul, Jaffer and Mills stepping up to the plate this season as well as young stars like Clarke and Ezard.

This game should pretty much go to script I believe. Canterbury will dominate on every part of the paddock and Tasmania has to hope for either one or two spectacular efforts from individuals if they are to get close. They do however have the guys in Akram, Kaye and Flower. The pressure however of this game may be too much for one of these three to really stand up.

The top order of Canterbury I think should dominate, once they have negotiated the likes of Akram from Tasmania there's little there to really trouble them and runs should flow, so expect some runs from this team.

A convincing win should be had here by Canterbury with Tasmania looking to brace themeselves for a long season ahead.

Warwickshire V Worcstershire

The Prefontaine cup is probably the highest team honour in English cricket. Each year these two fierce rivals go at eachother looking to dominate.

Last season the event was one which was fought out quite evenly, however over the past season I believe Warwickshire has built up superbly and put a few metres on their opponents.

Both sides looked impressive last week however showing that this game could be closer than first thought, Warwickshire played brilliantly as a team to defeat the more fancied Kent, whilst Worcester defied critics and pushed Hampshire all the way, thanks to Lovell's 150.

Warwickshire's bowling department here however holds the key. Habib, Walker, Andrews and Lowe all have their work cut out at the top of the Worcester order with the likes of Nelson and Gregson both running at them. Both have had 2 great seasons in WCC and will hopefully guide Warwickshire to a title this year. They will most likely succeed against teams like Worcester who have a few little batting problems. If Lovell doesn't shine again I think this game could be over fairly quickly.

Worcester's bowlers will also have to have a lot of self belief if they are to make any inroads against the Warwickshire batting line up. The task however may well be a little easier than what's being predicted. A lot of these Warwickshire guys are "raw" and for them to succeed guys like Hemaneth Kumar and Sriram must stand up. Here really lies the key in whether this game is a walk over or a tight affair.

If Sriram and Hemaneth struggle.. Worcester are a chance. If not the Warwickshire side will grow and grow in confidence and will march towards the title.

Western Province V Glamorgan

A warm South African afternoon at Newlands watching the pride of South Africa play Glamorgan, what more could spectators ask for.

This Western Province side has much to prove, years of being in the lower divisions not playing to expecations, now they're in divisions 3 they get their chance and it starts against Glamorgan.

Glamorgan have a tough battle if they are going to get anything from this match. N Khan and Youssef Engineer have to be on their game or they're going to be ripped to peieces by Llewellyn and Darden. This opening partnership is possibly the most exciting thing to come out've South Africa since apartheid. Once broken however the middle order will also stand up. However if Engineer and Khan can get on top somehow early then they might run through them. Province do have a long batting line up however which could make things interesting with Friend showing great form in the friendlies.

Glamorgans batsman have to fire. It's the only way they're going to get close and Samuels and McDonald are the two who look the most dangerous. Both are great exponents of quick running between the wickets and if they get going could lift the rest of the side.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
DJellett said:
What about Div 5 and ND, dubbed affectonately as "the worst team in the league"?
I'm not handing over that title until Guyana start winning consistently. :@

Hands off!!!

Slats4ever

it was nibbs fault.. he told me to hurry his up. i'm at work now though so should all be up within about an hour

Slats4ever

Slats4ever said:
I'm starting these early this week... I'll add your matches as soon as both managers have given there teams in...

Division 1

South Australia V Karnataka

A new week, another mouth watering clash between the two giants. If fans hadn't seen enough last week, this week they're at it again. Last week Dawson stole the show in guiding SA home, however this week he's out injured and Karnataka will be looking to exact revenge.

The lead up for South Australia wasn't ideal, with Broncoman spending much time on the phone to his old players at ACT, it was rumoured that on Tuesday night he actually drove down there to be with them not his current team. The South Australian team however have vowed to put this behind them and take this weeks big clash.

Once again I see Karnataka going in as favourites despite last weeks loss. Their batting strength an experience should shine through over 4 days. The young South Australian side doesn't have the years in WCC that the Karnataka boys do. Keegan, Wadeker and Jones all looked potentially dangerous with the bat last week and it's hard to see not one of them standing up and holding the SA attack at bay.

Much has been said about the Karnatak bowling line up, especially by those close to the South Australian side in Blewy and Broncoman. This, I only believe will make them stand up even more this weekend. Also I see the South Australian batting line up as being vulnerable to high pressure, and a 5 day match against SA's strongest rivals is as much pressure that there is in WCC.

This game should live up to all expectations, a showcase of top cricket. However Karnatak should win comfortably without being pushed to hard.
Yorkshire V Lancashire

Yorkshire certainly have their work cut out for them with their coach pulling out at the last minute with a penis infection, so they'll be going it alone against the might of Lancashire. After last weeks exciting game this week will prove to be another good clash between these two English giants trying to prove themeselves as England's best.

Lancashire probably have the best team to play 4 whole days of consistently good cricket. Dravid and Hayden are crucial in this match. The young blokes like STanton and Anderton are going to look to these guys for leadership in their first 4 day clash. IF they can get on top Yorkshire will be running for cover. Such is the nature of the Lancashire batting line up if you give them an hour of positive cirkcet chances are they'll continue that for at least another 2 or 3.

Their bowling has been questioned however draft pick Fernando will play a crucial role i believe. Being used as a frontline bowler the pressure has never been on an all rounder this much.

I'm expecting a high scoring one here however Lancashire should dominate as they are the one's capable of being strong for the whole game.

Surrey V Kent

Both these teams want big years. Both are playing in the lower divisions OD so expect a big home crowd here to try and guide Surrey over the line.

Surrey are going to have to play to their best to win this one!!! R STratton playing in his new colours is going to be looking to impress and judging by his one day and friendly form he's going to be hard to stop. Often when one player can stand up with both bat and abll then the rest of the team rises up! This is I believe what will happen here. Blewett, Jenkins and co are all going to play to the same level that they did with SA in past years and lead this team, whilst Hawkins and Dyer are expected to play to their best. What could be more of a motivation than play Marc and Surrey after all.

Surrey will rely on their bowlers. There batsman will struggle here I have no doubt and for them to be any chance their bowlers have to shine. It has to be Wickarama and Porter's day. They have to put the ball on the spot and let the pitch turn and do the work for them. If they bowl with patience they will be hard to handle and will build up a lot of pressure on the Kent batsman.

This game should go down to the wire, both teams want to win and Kent will be looking to put themeselves as high up the ladder as they can for RIch's return. I'm tipping them to beat Surrey but not without high drama.

Slats4ever

Division 2

QLD V NSW

Not many new faces here just 22 strong experience 4 day cricketers who have the most heart going around. Looking down the QLD line up it's quite clear that heart is going to be needed if they are to get anything from this game...

They might "kick some NSW butt" in the bowling department but looking at the bannana benders batsman it's hard to see anyone whose going to stand up and really hurt the likes of Ferguson, Moore and Bullbeck! Captain Maher must stand up and so must Steve Tikolo or otherwise a very vulnerable middle order will crumble. Qld's bowlers have taken no prisoners in the past. They've bowled quick, and fiery in the past since Lee began captaining the side and thehy're expected to go even further this week. Ferguson, Bullbeck and Moore have all been told to take blood, and it is rumoured Bob Carr the premier of NSW will pay each bowler a bonus of $500 each time one of them can draw blood of a QLD batsman.

The Beach boys have some bowling quality of their own however. It is Salvi however with his clever changes of pace that's going to have to do it for them this week!

NSW would expect to win this one, but funnier things have happened at the Gabba and QLd might be praying for a miracle.

Mumbai V Tamil Nadu

Can Mumbai stop their cricketing woes? A lot of that will be answered in this clash. We could possibly here see the changing of the guard as far as the leading Indian team. Tamil Nadu have the class however since Nikhil has taken over Mumbai, a certain level of spirit has returned to the team.

It's hard to see however Mumbai's spirit stopping this devastating side. After last weeks performance this Tamil Nadu team are on a high. In a surprising move however Weekes has been dropped however there are other bowlers who will do the damage for TN. Maqbool playing his first game in TN's colours are expected to lift now that he's playing for a top team. I think he's going to become WCC's best bowler and it's going to start this round. There are so many stars however in this side that it doesn't matter even if he doesn't Mumbai will still have a tough job. It's an exciting game also to see this TN batting line up in action. New boy Chandrasekhar who looked so good with the rookie system last year will join a batting line up already oozing with talent.

All of the Mumbai boys have to play to their best. If they can get on top on day 1 either through either their dogged batsman or their experienced bowling line up anything could happen in this game.

Tamil Nadu are way too strong and should in my opinion be pushing for an innings victory to set their 4day season up.

Western Australia V Hampshire

With Jamee spending the weekend in jail for child *** offences his Western Australian boys will struggle. Hampshire are here to challenge this year and try to get in the top division.
Hampshire's batting line up will tear apart any teams bowlers. Bin Nasir, Graham, Ul-Haq and Crawley are all seasoned performers and will lift the young talent behind them.

Their bowlers whilst having no real outright stars are all very good bowlers and there are no weaknesses. Mark Harrity is now a senior bowler in this game and he spent much of his junior life in Western Australia. This will really help him with conditions over there and I expect him to really dominate.

Hampshire to win this one quite comfortably and the Western Ausrtlaian public will soon be asking questions about their convicted coach.

Slats4ever

that's what i regret about saying it!!! but i'll take you outside MXTYP. I'll take you on in the garage