• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Match Previews

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
OK guys don't tell my employer. but I get very bored at work so I'm going to spend my time writing some match reports to keep myself entertained. Every week I'll try to write some brief reports about each weekends clashes.

DIVISION 1

South Australia v Karnataka

Perhaps the most anticipated clash of the round. The S.A public have been waiting all off season to see how new manager Broncoman has mad the transition to the might of Karnataka. For the Karnataka fans, many believe this is there season, and they would love a win here to prove they can win the title.

Perhaps the most interesting battle here will be between the inexperienced SA batsman and the Karnatak bowlers, who have come under heated pressure. Can Ali, Cush and Jones stop the young talent.

My tip is for Karnataka to outpower South Australia. There batting depth looks to strong and I feel their bowlers will get the better of a nervous SA side looking to impress for the first time.

Yorkshire v Lancashire

Traditionally the two biggest rivals in England. A huge crowd is expected here to see which English side will lead the biggest threat to taking a title this year.

Fire works are expected as two sides with strong hitters battle it out. One can see the strength of the Lancashire batting line up with captain Hayden at 5. This I believe will cause the Yorkshire bowling line up some problems as Lancashire will look to smash there way on top.

Big performances I feel are needed from Gough, Adams and Hamilton as the experienced bowlers in the Yorkshire line ups. If they can get on top of the Lancashire bats then Yorkshire should be enough. However I don't think they have enough to destroy Lancashire totally, who have too much depth in there side.

My tip is for Lancashire by plenty.

NSW v Victoria

If the English clash wasn't enough to get saliva running, cricket fans will be able to cross over to see the Aussie sides doing battle. Both these sides have the class to take the title, and both want it very bad to try to show that all aussie teams can play not just SA. A win here will be vital.

Both sides boast very strong bowling line ups so I'm expecting a low scoring one here as the likes of Harwood and Moore dominate. The game however will go to the wire, with both sides with capable batting line ups.

The key for the game lies in how both sides can take advantage of the part timers. Victoria, if they are to win the game must take advantage of Lee and Kallis and NSW of Harvey and co.

I'm tipping Victoria to take the game. They have a clever one day batting side. They will be able to keep the score board ticking over making things very hard for NSW.

Slats4ever

Division 2

Queensland V WA

The days of QLD OD title seem a distant memory now for this side... Looking at their side however they seem keen to make another assault on it, first they have to get through div 2, and first the first round.

QLD will look to take the game from WA early, and impose a big psychological advantage on their opponents, whether it be Guneratne, Beasley and Bradshaw taking to the bowlers or Pettifer and Evans taking early wickets. If however WA can get over the early onslaught the game should be much closer than people think.

WA have some dangerous players in their line up with Razzaq and Clarke who I believe could take D2 by storm this season. A lot is also being talked of Burns at the top as the star with the bat.

QLD would have to go in as favourites but I'm tipping an upset, WA will come with a smart cricket approach and with too many "niggly", smart players, they will cause QLD too many headaches.

Colts v Tamil Nadu

What a cracker... Two of fastest improving and exciting sides in one day cricket. Neither side will hold anything back in this one. There is so much talent on the park in this one that trying to predict what's going to happen will be almost impossible.

Tamil Nadu's batting holds the key to this one. Their bowling is almost the best in the comp. However their batting has been known not to live up to expectation in the past. Worryingly Colts also have the attack that can really expose this weakness. Lead by Brett Lee, Hawkins, Raza and Hoggard will have to bowl well if Colts are any chance. It is important that the Colts bowlers know they can beat this batting line up, and I'm sure this is something Age Master will talk to his bowlers about.

The Colts crowd are really going to get behind their side here if they are to get over the line. However I feel that all round Tamil Nadu might have it over the Sri Lankan side, with an awesome bowling attack and enough talent in the battig dept. they should get over the line.

Kent v Warwickshire

Described as the most talented OD side ever put on the park by Warwickshire, Kent will have to be on their toes in this one. After a dissapointing OD season last year, Kent will be looking for the best start possible. They'll want to win this one and win it big, or otherwise the season could be long again for them.

Warwickshire's bowlers will prove to be a handful for Kent, and if they get on top early Kent will struggle. The match rests in the hands of Nelson, Gregson and Jones. They have the talent to destroy any team. However this Kent batting line up looks too strong. Jenkins, Hemp and Stratton will thrive in front of their home crowd and will set a solid platform up for either a total or a chase.

The game will be close, it will eb and flow in traditional English style, with the ball set to dominate, however I think that Kent will prevail in the end, setting up their season well.

Slats4ever

Division 3

Auckland V Canterbury

This game is set to attract huge interest from the New Zealand crowds. For years Auckland have been seething that Canterbury has owned the title of the pride of NZ. Finally after many long years Auckland have won the right to challenge Canterbury.

Auckland I feel will win this one convincingly. They want it very badly, they have a very good side and there stars will stand up. The only hope of a Canterbury win lies in their top order.They simply have to fire or they will be hammered. However with Tudor and Plummer in the Auckland attack Canterury's top order may very well struggle.

The NZ press has been littered with information and hypesurrounding this game all week. Perhaps the most interesting surrounding O Clarke and his role in this team. Auckland's senior team member and keeper Derick Kenway hinted earlier in the week that Canterbury is a one man side, based aroud Clarke. This unfortunately for Canterbury I believe will be showed up and their vulnerability in this division could be confirmed.

Hampshire vs Worcestershire

Another English clash, however not as anticipated as the division 1 and 2 clash. Everyone knows that Hampshire belongs in a higher division and Worcestershire may be out've there depth here in division 3. However this clash could well prove to be the most interesting out've the 3 with Worcestershire very keen to prove they can match it with this divsion.

Worcester is full of yonug players who all are keen to show they are the next big thing in WCC and this energy looks set to explode in this game. Andrews, Lowe and Akhil will look to change the face of the traditional approach to English one day cricket and fire from the start. Down the order if things fail the versatile Hall and Bowler wait who are great manipulators of ticking the score board over.

Hampshire have the class to match this energy though, and will look to play 100 overs of good cricket. There batting should face up well but can there bowlers? I think that Worcestershire may well cause a big upset here due to the fact that Hampshire's bowling attack lacks depth. They have 5 front liners, but in order to be successful they need some part timers to change things up... Good quality part timers they don't have and they I think will pay.

Free State v Mumbai

"Mumbai... Division 3" was the way the headlines read at the end of another dissapointing season for Mumbai last year. Not only have their performances dropped but so have their fan bases. The situation is the opposite for Free State. A side with so much exciting OD strength is slowly starting to arrest a lot of interest in South Africa away from WP.

Mumbai's bowling must fire. Dean and Swinburn simply have to perform or this game will be gone. Free State's batting line up is imposing to say the least, but against an attack lacking real spark the batting line up looks unbeatable. Williams, Snow and co. can expect some fire early, however if they can beat this the dejection will start to show on the faces of the Mumbai team, who this early in the piece will start to think they may slip even further.

Nikhil must keep a positive attitude, it is this attitude that may well save them in this game. If they play positive cricket they may well win. If they don't think they can they will slip even further.

Slats4ever

Division 4

Leicestershire V Surrey

Two sides here who have had a huge face lift over the past few seasons to try to save their OD frefall. Both will be keen this season for promotion and both with a big chance. This match is set to draw only the die hard Leicester and Surrey fans with other important English games going on over the weekend.

This fact will annoy Surrey, and will perhaps be the driving force behind their protion attempts this year. This game will prove to be no different. They are going to fire and fire from game 1. Their depth is what is most impressive. Players like Petal and Lambert hold the key in this match! Both look set for big years with ball and bat and must play well here.Their batting down the order will be hard for Leicester to contain.

The battle between Shrinivas and Wagg versus Brown, Bradshaw, Underwood and Piggot will also attract much interest. Wagg is looking for a good year after some slow ones so he will be extra fired up for a good start and probably will lift the rest of the Surrey bowlers to victory.

ACT V Tasmania

Manuka looks set to provide new manager Blewy with a warm welcome. With past ACT greats such as Hughes and Valletta watching on ACT will be looking to show Tasmania what they can do.

Tasmania will be looking to rain on the parade, as this division is tight, and a win here will be crucial for the rest of the year and they know it. Senior players Flower, Goodwin and Rudolph have emphasised the importance to this team of positive thinking. Looking down the ACT batting line it is clear that the Tasmanian bowlers have self belief they can do it. Akram as the side's number one bowler must lift and bowl a good length and Canning and Bradley must follow, or the likes of Lara and Ponting will tear them to bits.

There is a lot of pressure on ACT to perform. So much is now expected of this team not only in the season but in this game. This pressure I see as being a thing that's only going to lift them however. They are so experienced and have so many level heads in this side that they could be thrown into any situation and have the class to rectify the problem. Tasmina's only hope is 100 overs of good cricket, not bursts of class... If they can do this they'll come close, if not ACT will clean up it's main rival in this division and shoot towards div 3.

Mashonaland V Jamaica

Jamaica are excited... Mashonaland... well they aren't. A non submission is the worth thing that could happen to this team. They will struggle to function without a coach here as Jamaica is a side who is keen to prove they belong in this division.

With no real stars Jamaica will rely on everyone pitching in. New manager Dark Hunter has shown these guys in the trials that a team that plays well together can beat anyone.

Rowell and Pears will be vital here and if either can get going Mashonaland will struggle, and even if they don't, without a coach in the pavillion they'll find things hard.

Slats4ever

Division 5

Glamorgan V Somerset.

Glamorgan have worked hard in the off season not only to attract an impressive playing list but also the attract back one of the best managers in the world. Andre's back and there's a certain feeling in the air at Glamorgan that this might be there year. Somerset are a side who must be sick and tired by now of being cellar dwellers. They will want to win this division this year and this is a huge game if they are going to.

This game I feel is the hardest to pick out've all of them. Each side with enough experience and class to win. The battle will be in the youngsters in thesides. Each side has a lot of experienced players, with the likes of Langer, Ganguly, Youhana, Akhtar, Chandana, and Agarkar on show. But the young guys from Glamorgan such as Gill and Khan must fire in this game or Somerset will be too strong. Mr P knows this and Akhtar and Kaneira, two of the fireist bowlers in the cmp are going to attack.

This match is set to be a blood bath, as both sides are going to hold nothing back as they try to avoid the title of worst English side.

Karachi V Guyana

Karachi has shown they hav one it takes to avoid D5, Guyana haven't. It's going to be tough for Guyana out there as a huge Pakistani crowd who will only accept one thing, victory....

Guyana I think will do it. this is there season to shine. This game will see guys like Cole and Mackenzie stand up and tell the WCC world that they are stars. Karachi will rely heavily on the efforts of Hussey and Pollock I think and if they are to be any chance both have to perform!

Questions will be asked of Pollock today. The media in both Pakistan and South Africa have asked the question, is he too old to be considered one of the best all rounders! He will be fired up though and like the Glamorgan SOmerset game we'll see some fire works here!!!

Guyana however I think are ready to make the step and they'll show it this round.

Northern District V Western Province

2 seasons go Western Province went agonisingly close to getting promothion to Division 2. That is in the pasand could well have effected the side forever. Now in division 5, with little morale and hope in the OD game, they'll have the motivation this year of not getting the wooden spoon. Northern Districts will also be looking to play some exciting cricket in hope of drawing some crowds to the ground.

The key here quite obviously lies in the Province bowling. If they can put it on the spot and try to restrict ND to a reasonable total they will win. The Province batting line up with Darden and Llewellyn will score a load of runs, however there is nothing in the way of bowling. Fleming and Smith must fire up the top and the momentum must continue down the order. The risk facing ND is that Province have a lot of part timers and if just one fire they could be in some trouble.

Province are expecting to win this one... D Jellett will be looking to pick up the pieces however and could well prove a big upset here and make WP's OD problems only bigger.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
WHOA !!! slats good work man.. this is awesome stuff.. i hope you dont burnout and this carries on for the rest of the season !!

top stuff man!

Slats4ever

that's not really a possibility whilst i'm employed here. i have so much free time whilst not serving customers and doing this is better than just sitting here perving on chicks as they walk by.

Mr. P

HAHA slats don't call us the worst English side, we're definately better then Glamorgan and Worcs, besides we just beat Glamorgan:D

Cloete

International Captain
Well you were spot on. It was my bowling (In particular Weekes :D) which got me over the line, and his weak batting. My batsman didn't have too much to do but I'm a bit annoyed at losing the 4 wickets. Overall delighted with teh result :D

Great, nay, BRILLIANT performance from Weekes! :D

Slats4ever

some of these i got it pretty close... some way off...
congrats to all the winners...

i had the ***** when i read the first half of my scorecard and saw that ND had scored 302... but then when i found out we chased them down pretty comfortably i was happy. It was always going to be our batting that shined but i didn't think it'd shine this much. Llewellyn showed that he wnts another big year with the bat, and Darden and Rickman chipped in as well with great knocks. well done boys

Mr. P

Might as well sum up a great win for Somerset:)

We bowled first on an even wicket and it was Akhtar who did the damage early for Somerset. He reduced them to two down for none before Saravanan and McDonald steadied...the rest of their innings were consistantly ok partnerships with the only shining lights McDonald with the bat, who made 140 and Akhtar who bowled superbly for 6 wickets...Glamorgan 261 all out...

In the chase we started well...very well in fact and we didn't look back except at the end where we got the jitters...our first wicket fell at 142...langer gone for 44 off 78...and the other end, Sharath was on fire with a superb century...he finished on 133 off 99 when we lost our second wicket at 207, and even though we lost a further 4 batsmen, the win was never in doubt...

Very proud of the boys, opposite of what we did last season in OD, great start:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slats4ever said:
Division 4

Leicestershire V Surrey

Two sides here who have had a huge face lift over the past few seasons to try to save their OD frefall. Both will be keen this season for promotion and both with a big chance. This match is set to draw only the die hard Leicester and Surrey fans with other important English games going on over the weekend.

This fact will annoy Surrey, and will perhaps be the driving force behind their protion attempts this year. This game will prove to be no different. They are going to fire and fire from game 1. Their depth is what is most impressive. Players like Petal and Lambert hold the key in this match! Both look set for big years with ball and bat and must play well here.Their batting down the order will be hard for Leicester to contain.

The battle between Shrinivas and Wagg versus Brown, Bradshaw, Underwood and Piggot will also attract much interest. Wagg is looking for a good year after some slow ones so he will be extra fired up for a good start and probably will lift the rest of the Surrey bowlers to victory.

The ironic thing is neither Lambert nor Wagg bowled (and Wagg didn't bat either) :wacko:

Good job I won or there would've been questions to be answered!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
An inquiry into the surrey game will be held... seems as though there were some issues with the bowling orders...

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Great job Ian, got the Free State - Mumbai game 100%. However our batting wasnt strong, the bowlers made up for it. Well done mate.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and u got the SA game against karnakata wrong, however i know one person who predicted a dawson century ;)
but it came at a price, losing him for 5 weeks :(

deckard

U19 Captain
Blewy said:
An inquiry into the surrey game will be held... seems as though there were some issues with the bowling orders...
Think it might be VC4 playing up again.....cos Rao came on as my 5th bowler, when he shouldnt have bowled at all.

Cloete

International Captain
broncoman said:
and u got the SA game against karnakata wrong, however i know one person who predicted a dawson century ;)
but it came at a price, losing him for 5 weeks :(
haha Arasu average of 14 :D :laugh: