• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Theory

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
I think that the amunt of teams in a league should be decreased.

This would do two things:

ONE: It would speed up the transition between seasons. A the worst team in the league currently (Tassie), it is getting a bit depressing (9 games with 2 wins). And the season is only half way over.
If the leagues size was shrunk to say 6 a division. Then he entire season (not including CA cup) would take 10 weeks (5 one days and 5 four days.).

TWO: Promote / Demote would be easy. Each league 6 teams, 1 goes up and 1 goes down.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not but I think it would stop the amount of teams managers leaving.

JUST MY THEORY

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I can understand that opint of veiw, but out of the 6 managers which have been replaced, only 2 have been sacked, the other 4 all left due to commitments that they had...
The interest overall has been very very good...
Even before we asked for extras i had alot of people emailing me asking to join and i turned alot away cause i wasn't sure of how popular the league would be...
But since then i have been convinced that people are really interested...
I can understand u the way u r feeling abuot ur team and all i can say is to stick it out, thats why i designed the draft the way i did so that instances like this would not be re-occuring....
I honestly couldn't really decrease the teams, as all the current managers seem very interested...
An issue i was considering for next season with the increase was the one i think u suggested Paid, having just the 1 round of games(play each team just once...)
If the increase of teams goes ahead there is a big posibility that this may well go ahead as well...

Please don't get dissilousioned Paid, and please if anyone else feels this way please speak up....

Hopefully this helps...
:D :D :D :D

Graham

3rd Umpire
I also like the idea of 6 team divisions, teams playing home and away, one up and one down.(And my team Lancashire is not struggling at present!)
Once you get too many teams, the draft will become even more complicated and time consuming. Maybe a draft should be run within each division if necessary.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
If you do decide to go with 3 divisions of 6 then home and away matches must be played. A 5 game season is too short. I had forgotten that 4 day games were going to be a part of the new season so maybe 6 team divisions would be a good idea.

With 18 teams instead of 16 the draft won't be much more complicated so having everyone available will be fine. Also while on the draft will there be youth players (made up or real) promoted into the market to replace the retirees.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah there will be a youth player promoted to replace every player who retires...

Where they will be placed is yet to be decided, i mean whther they just go to the club that the player retired from or whether they go on the open market is yet to be decided...
:D :D :D :D :D

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
If the league gets a total of 24 teams. (WHICH IT WILL.)

Then there will be either 3 divs of 8 or 4 divs of 6.

Personally their should be 3 divs of 8 in this case. With each team playing the other once. (7 weeks)

Their should be two different leagues one for Four and One dayers. They will comprise different teams from the other and two up and two down in each divvie. What could happen is that a team could be promoted in 1 days, and demoted in 4 days.

Another thing is that it should only be one game per week/weekend. If you play a four day one week then the next week they play the 1 dayer.

IF YOU WANT ME TO MAKE UP THE DRAW FOR EACH DIVISION THEN JUST ASK DA PANDA !

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I can assure u Paid that the last increase in teams has taken place...
To increase it any more will be mission impossible..
Thats why we are doing it this season, With all teams still having their original players its 10 times easier than it would be after teams have been mixed around...
So next seasons 2 divisions of 10 will see the maximum amount of teams taking place...

As for the option of only 1 game per week, I was all for it but there were calls from people that the season was to long, so we figured that if we ran a 1 day game and a 4 day game each week that would work out to be 9 weeks, then add into that 5 weeks for the CA Cup and we have a season total of 14 weeks which cuts the current season down by 4 weeks...
:D :D :D :D :D

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Sorry Blewwy, but I will still keep on pressing my idea forward. I will not leave the league if my plan doesn't get through, SO there is no threat involved.

Current:
2divs of 10 (20 teams)
Four day and a one day game each week (ie 5 day out of 7)
4 teams promoted/demoted each league(20%)
CA Cup will have the 3 academies and one team will have a bye in first round. (A little strange)

Each league weekend there will be 20 simmed games.
Each team will have to place two teams and write two reports
Season Length: 14 weeks (9 rounds & 5 CA Cup)

Paid's Idea
3divs of 8 (24 teams)
Four day and a one day game each fortnight. One week a onedayer, next week four dayer. (ie 5 day out of 14)
8 teams promoted/demoted each league(33%)
CA Cup will have the all 24 teams with previous years quarter-finalist getting first week off.

Each weekend there will be 12 simmed games.
Each team will have to place only ONE team and write only ONE report.
Season Length: 19 weeks (7 oneday, 7 fourday % 5 CA Cup)

I think the best thing to do is to have a vote on it, on the web site (but I wont do the cheap 100 vote thingy)

[Edited on 7/28/02 by Paid The Umpire]

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Sorry GREG (If that isn't your real name) BLEWETT, but I will still keep on pressing my idea forward.

Current:
2divs of 10 (20 teams)
Four day and a one day game each week (ie 5 day out of 7)
4 teams promoted/demoted each league(20%)
CA Cup will have the 3 academies and one team will have a bye in first round. (A little strange)

Each league weekend there will be 20 simmed games.
Each team will have to place two teams and write two reports
Season Length: 14 weeks (9 rounds & 5 CA Cup)

Paid's Idea
3divs of 8 (24 teams)
Four day and a one day game each fortnight. One week a onedayer, next week four dayer. (ie 5 day out of 14)
8 teams promoted/demoted each league(33%)
CA Cup will have the all 24 teams with previous years quarter-finalist getting first week off.

Each weekend there will be 12 simmed games.
Each team will have to place only ONE team and write only ONE report.
Season Length: 19 weeks (7 oneday, 7 fourday % 5 CA Cup)

I think the best thing to do is to have a vote on it.
That's all well and good boys but what about the Umpires?? I'm having a hard enough time trying to cover all matches as it is!!

Eyes

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
Firstly Paid the Umpire has my vote sounds good but the season is a bit long especially if u lose a few games

and umpires... eyes is it really that critical(not in real life umpires rock)

No.1 umpire reporting
8D 8D

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
Firstly Paid the Umpire has my vote sounds good but the season is a bit long especially if u lose a few games

No.1 umpire reporting
8D 8D

Eyes_Only

International Debutant

No.1 umpire reporting

8D 8D
Yes I see your point but I do think it is important to have some sort of order in the game, hence the umpires.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see how it turns out!!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok i just think that 3 divisions make alot more work than your looking into...

With an extra Division we also have to take into account that we must also collate a whole heap of stats for even more teams as well as record season stats for another division...

Also the main point people have been expressing is the season is to long, so what we have tried to do is to reduce the length the easiest way possible...
And after looking at all the options including 3 divisions(which was an idea of mine in the 1st place) it was decided that the easiest way to satisfy everyone was to make just the 2 divisions...

But i will take yours and everyones opinions of this matter into account and i will place a new thread in the forum for which i would like everyone to go in an reply only Once as to whether they would like 2 divisions of 10 or 3 divisions of 8.....

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Why don't you hire some more umps?

Possibles:

Dick Chainy
Bill Clinton
George X Bush
Y. R. U. Here etc.

The list is endless.
Didn't I tell you Paid...they're all on the list anyway!! :P

Eyes

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
After talking to Paid i have, really been looking closely at this new idea...

I have decided that either way the vote goes i think it will work great...

In fact im looking forward to the possibility of 1 very interesting team which could grace the fields next season...