• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Proposal

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
People like me who havent got good youth and there are quite a few this time should be allowed to retain 12 players as the people with good youth can retain ie 10+2 rookies and are allowed to drop their 3rd and 4th draft pick.

I mean that for me if i dont want to retain my rookies i shl be allowed,if i want, to retain 2 more players from the 16 and drop my 3rd and 4th pick as it is done if rookies are retained.

People retain rookies only if they are good so the teams which have good rookies get an advantage over others as the 3rd and 4th picks players are all bad.

This will atleast help people who dont have luck to get good rookies.Draft wont be that great this season so this can be done and will help the teams.

This is only a proposal for the board to look at and i dont want to start off a debate.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
no chance!

some people are lucky to get good rookies, maybe last season they got bad ones and you got good ones and it may be the same or opposite next season.
I dont think much else needs to be said......

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
Ya fair enough.

But my point is that look at Mumbai and SA.I think both the teams were top teams till season 2.SA got 2 good rookies and they were able to maintain their team.On the other hand Mumbai got crap rookies and could retain only 10.

Now the difference can be seen in both the teams.From being one of the best team in wccc Mumbai have become avg and it is not because of their fault.Mumbai had to offload 2 of their major players to get to 10 and were not able to get same sort of players in the 3rd and 4th dp.Being at the top they got the last but 1 dp.

I am afraid that this will happen to other sides also including Karnataka.The side which goes on getting good youth will become strong and others will become week.

As everyone knows draft will not be at all strong this season so all the good players will be taken by the teams which are in lower divs.1st and 2nd pick will also not fetch a good player for the teams in div 1.

There should be atleast some diff in the div 1 teams and div 5 teams.Teams in the same div shl be equal in strength.If a div 5 team is same as div 1 team then whts the meaning to be in Div 1.

I think this season there isnt any team which can think that it has won against the other team of the same div before the match.This was there last season.So the game has become competitive enough.

I think something or the other has to be done as this rule favours the teams which get good rookies and hit the most the top teams as lower div teams can get back the players as they r ahead in the draft.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm with Si, why change what isn't broken?

I wonder if you'd even bring it up if you hadn't got 2 weak rookies...

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
i knew this was coming but i also agree to the fact that people realize only when it happens to them otherwise they are happy.:P

Cloete

International Captain
well IMO aditya has a very good point. I mean I am lucky enoguh to have got 2 good rookies on 3 successive occasions(whether they be retiree rookies or norm al rookies)! Now I know I am extremely lucky, but I mean if a team gets bad rookies shouldn't they atleast be able to keep their original players? Aditya has a very good point with SA. Probably the luckiest team of them all with rookes(alothugh i am close :P) and are undoubtedly the best team in the game. How did they get there? Through their rookies. I really think aditya has a point here and shouldn't just be palmed off!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, but the whole idea of losing so many is that a team cannot retain an awesome 11 season after season - they have to make changes.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the whole point of the draft is for the better teams to drop 1 or 2 good players and thge lesser teams pick them up.... if you can retain all your good players there would be no point in tthe draft

nibbs

International Captain
I'm with Si and Marc. I think this it slighty a case of sour grapes on the case of Adtiya. He realises he wont be keeping a strong 11 for next season, and that he'll have to start with 10. But 1 player can hardly make a difference. Every team is bound to get their turn sometime...

Simon

does everyone remember when the rookie idea started?
if not ill refreshen your memory, when we expanded past 2 divisions we thought it would be hard for lower sides to really get better, and people used excuses like "in real life crappy teams become good over time" and of course thats because they can have really good youth players coming through.
So we decided that each side would get 2 rookies a season (randomly chosen) and they wouldnt count as part of the 10 to keep. So originally the idea was to help lower sides and even the teams.

So what aditya is proposing is completely the opposite of what the rookies are there for.....

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
This situation is another one that comes up each season...

If we allowed you to keep 12 players then your side would be exactly the same as this season... now you say about SA keeping 12, Yes but 2 of those are rookies who have proven nothing and they are still only keeping 10 players of their current squad...

The idea of keeping only 10, is to bridge the gap between the top and the bottom sides...
This has been proven with the slide of Mumbai and a few other teams...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aditya said:
As everyone knows draft will not be at all strong this season so all the good players will be taken by the teams which are in lower divs.1st and 2nd pick will also not fetch a good player for the teams in div 1.
Picking up the 'good' players in the draft doesn't always equate to outstanding performances...TRUST ME!

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
I agree with all of ur pts.But the situation this season is different and it will get worse in the coming seasons.Here it the problem on hand.

Karnataka and SA both have 16 players.Of these 16 4 are crap which both got in the last seasons draft.Now SA gets 2 great rookies and Karnataka gets 2 craps.

Now when the draft will happen.Karnataka will have to leave 6 players of which 4 will be crap and 2 good.On the other hand SA will leave similar players but will have 2 extra good players already.

Now all the other teams leave 6 each.Assume theat there are around 25 good players in the draft.Earlier seasons there were good players coming thru in the draft as rookies were added and also good players were added eg A Chopra etc.So there were more good players in the draft.

The other point is that in season 1 dps were traded so good teams could get ahead in the draft to pick players.I am not saying that start dp trading.I am also against it.

Now look at the situation Karnataka will have 10+1 avg+5 craps and SA on the other hand will have 10+2 great rookies+4 craps.

The whole idea of the game was to make the teams equal but this is hampering that.As i stated earlier all the teams of a div r equal this season.Its not like last seasons ND that was losing everything.

Assume that no change is made in the rules and the game goes on.Next season again SA get good rookies and Karnataka get craps.Now again it will become more weak.

This is a cumulative process and effects will be seen in the near future.I stress that this wasnt a issue in the earlier seasons but will take up a big place soon.

For the betterment of the game i think some thing shl be done.I dont say that my suggestion shl be applied but something shl be done.People who want to keep their players shl sacrifice higher dps is another way to avoid this problem.

This is not only with Karnataka.Others teams are also suffering.There will be a huge gap between those getting good rookies and those not getting in the future.there shl be equal competition between the same divisions which is there this season.But i an afraid if nothing is done the level of competition and excitement will go down soon.People with rookies will enjoy and other will play for the sake of playing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aditya said:
I agree with all of ur pts.But the situation this season is different
As far as I can see, the only way the situation is different this season is that your team hasn't got good rookies.

The rest of your post is a list of ifs and maybes and assumptions that almost certainly won't all come true.

Simon

aditya, what you say has merit on the surface, but how do you decide who got a good rookie and who got bad ones?
And how do you know this seasons draft is weaker than pervious seasons if it hasnt even been created!

On another topic aditya, how many of your draft picks have u used in previous seasons, except the ones you pick up in round 1 or 2, they get minimal use.....

the amount of good players in WCC is at its peak now i think too, remember back to the start when a player with averages of 40 and 40 were very good, now they get thrown into the draft, so the quality argument cant be used.

i really dont think this needs debating, cause the board will be unlikely to change anything like this so close to the trading period.

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
The first seasons draft had all the rookies whose stats were made by GB.Stratton, Darden,Allen,A jones etc.So the draft was rich.Last season all young new real players from diff countries were added so the draft was good but not that good as first season as rejected players were there in it.Now this season it will be worst as all the rejected players of season 1 and season 2 will be added and 30 rookies which are not exceptional.So this clears that the draft will be quite weak this time.Here a fact abt the draft.

In the first season i traded my 2nd pick to Colts who was in the end of the list being new and they got W Anderson of it.Was there any such batsman left in last seasons draft in the 2nd pick.No there wasnt!!!There were lees teams earlier so the draft queue was small now there are 30 teams.Do u think u will get a good player in ur leave 2nd 1st dp.No u wont!!!!

Now abt my picks and how much i have used.This is exactly wht i am saying.In season 1 i got J Moss in my 5th pick and he played two seasons regularly for me in od.In season 2 i got a wk in my 1st pick which i am using and all others are craps.So this shows how draft is getting weak.

I know i dont have good rookies and i cant do anything it is luck.But dont u see rookies r getting so much importance.This time i am suffering next time someone else and last time it was Mumbai.

At one point of time when I and Sri(Mumbai manager last season) were talking i said to him to raise this point.But so much was going on last season that it was not easy to put this in.

I know that people are thinking that i am doing all this as a dont have rookies but its not that.People shl foresee the future and i am afraid that it is looking bleek as the competitiveness is getting hit.If all teams which come close to SA get hit by this rule as did Mumbai then SA will never lose and always will be at the top and u will also look around for new challange as blewy did.Its similar to icc.When we reach top with great rookie players we leave the game as we get bored.I think similar thing will happen here.

Something has to be done.Something atleast!!!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aditya said:
This time i am suffering next time someone else and last time it was Mumbai.
I don't think the rookies are the sole reason for the Mumbai decline - IIRC there was some poor judgement in trading...

nibbs

International Captain
Aditya, forgeting your terrible situation for a second, what about teams like Guyana, whose squad of 10 features only couple of good players, like Chopra, Hills etc. On the other hand you've got A Jones, A Kale, S Maxwell, E Howarth, and K Ali. They're just the tip of the iceberg. Every team has its time at the top, Karnataka is up there now, it wont last for ever, Mumbai has had theirs, other teams will have their moment in the sun too.

Aditya, if you had two good rookies the chances of this thread being made are nil. Its happened and there's nothing you can do about it. Next season if you get two good rookies, and SA don't, will that a different situation, or will you make this thread again, because you feel the star studded SA line up is going to be dramatically weakened?

This means, teams should concentrate on having a strong group of 10 players. If you get 2 good rookies, well lucky you.

Last edited:

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I must agree with most that things shouldn't change.

The argument is slightly flawed in that all teams release at least 6 players, even SA. If you include rookies then teams have 18 players at the end of a season. If rookies are kept then 12 can be retained. For teams where the rookies are better than the 3rd and 4th draft picks then that is the luck of the draw. As Blewy says the rookies are untried and their performances this season have been hot and cold to say the least.

The strong teams will still have to release at least 1 player from its starting 11 into the draft. The way teams are structured these days most managers pick a different 11 for both forms of the game therefore more than 1 first 11 players will be released.

I agree though that the draft will probably be a bit weaker than last season but not by much.

I got 2 good rookies last season but 2 duds this time. It's the luck of the draw.

After saying all that I think it's very good that people are bringing up new ideas for the comp and just because something may get turned down doesn't mean that people should stop thinking.