• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trading of Draft Picks?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
this was dropped a couple of seasons ago, from memory it was because some people ended up disadvantaged because they traded their draft picks away badly.

now however i think it is a good time to look at it again. most managers have been around a fair while, and with the Board having to approve trades for fairness etc i think it would add alot to the trade period. also managers have a better idea of how good players are etc.

what do others think???

DJellett

International Debutant
Sounds like a very good idea to me. It would add a whole element more into the draft picks. People, give your opinions.

nibbs

International Captain
I'm against it. Something just doens't seem right about it. The current method has been working fine IMO. I can't wait for it to start. It should be awesome...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i dont really see what people have against it, i mean its an option to trade at all, and would be an option to trade draft picks, its up to each manager to decide wether they want to or not, its not like you would have to.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Graham said:
Oh dear - do we have to go through this at the end of every season?
Seems like it.

It happened once and proved a major problem, so we changed it.

The argument about experience is not a valid one, since although some have been around a lot, there's a load who haven't/

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
what proved a major problem with trading draft picks. from memory some people decided they didn't like it after they ended up worse off, but apart from that... i thought the main problem back than was the uneven trades (3 players for 1 player) and people not ending up with wicket keepers...

if people dont want to trade draft picks they wouldn't have to, but i think its an option that should be availiable for managers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Every season it's brought up, and every time more people dislike it than like it.

Maybe it's time to take the hint and not bring it up?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
answer the question - what was the problem with it

also, can someone please say something about why they dislike it instead of just saying that they dont like it.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
It's probably something that can be decided in a poll. I don't know if Blewy wants to go down this path. Personally I don't favour trading for draft picks. It got exploited badly when it was allowed to occur and can't see much wrong with the current system.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
The Argonaut said:
It's probably something that can be decided in a poll. I don't know if Blewy wants to go down this path. Personally I don't favour trading for draft picks. It got exploited badly when it was allowed to occur and can't see much wrong with the current system.
the board already retain the right to cancel trades if they see them as unfair. its a gamble ofcourse but you wouldn't have to if you didn't want to.

there isn't anything in particular wrong with the current system, but i think that this would improve it. the more options open to managers the better for mine.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the posts in this thread pretty much sum up the feelings of managers with regards this.

DJellett

International Debutant
In a Federal Government-like backflip on previous statements I have made, I have taken into account people's posts and decided it may have its problems. I think we just have to agree to disagree and in that instance, the current system stays.

Graham

3rd Umpire
Managers who have not been through the trading and drafting previously have no accurate idea of the strength of players that are available as the draft progresses. For this reason some are exploited by more experienced managers.

I would allow trades involving draft picks only in deals between experienced managers, but of course this wouldn't be acceptable as the rules should be consistent to all.

So I say no trading draft picks at all.

ash chaulk

International Captain
as a new manager to this competition i have no idea how the draft works..... is their any information about this?

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
For the newer managers the draft works like this:

At the beginning of the season you are assigned 2 rookies. Most of the rookies play in the academy comp. Therefore you have your 16 players plus 2 rookies.

At the end of the season you decide which players you want to keep. You keep 10 players (10 players, 9 + 1 rookie, 8 +2 rookies), 11 players (10 + 1 rookie, 9 + 2 rookies) or 12 players (10 + 2 rookies). For those who keep 11 or 12 players they lose draft selections 3 and 4 respectively.

The discarded players join the remaining academy players in the draft pool.

The draft order is based on the finishing order of the teams in the 4d and 1d competitions combined.

Each manager has up to 6 draft picks from the pool to finish up with a final squad of 16.

Please correct me if I have left anything out.