• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crappy run chases

thierry henry

International Coach
I am getting pretty frustrated by some thoroughly absurd recent results.

Last season I lost a one-dayer chasing 200-odd. I lost by less than 10 runs and from memory I was either 1 or 2 wickets down:rolleyes:

In my latest game I needed 28 off the last 8 overs and had been scoring at 5 until this point, yet still conspired to lose. This is after S Young, who made 116, somehow managed to only score 3 runs off the last 4 balls (he faced all 4) when he only needed 7.

Some of my players need to take a long hard look at themselves methinks.

Rich2001

International Captain
Nah mate run chases are a problem... I've chased in 2 out of my 3/4 games and both times I have seen my side go mental in the chase, first game I was going at between 5 and 7 an over and even when I worke dit out we needed 4 a over we were going at 6 and a half at one point... Wouldn't have minded but the attacking ment I lost all my wickets.

And this weeks game I chased 250 to win by 2 wickets and again all my players just smashed everything in sight.... Here's a break down of the run rates at the wickets I lost (NOTE orignal Run Rate Required was 5 an over)

1st - Total 23/1 - Run Rate 10
2nd - Total 26/2 - RR 6.3
3rd - Total 86/3 - RR 6.99
4th - Total 139/4 - RR 5.74
5th - Total 143/5 - RR 5.86
6th - Total 188/6 - RR 6.20
7th - Total 195/7 - RR 6.10
8th - Total 226/8 - RR 5.87

The fact I never once dropped below the orignal the task should have been easier and easier... yet the batsman got faster and faster :rolleyes:

Anyway it's a slight bug, but you win some you lose some... should even itself out over the season, iam about level after 2 run chases so can't complain much :saint:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Well ive got a different problem, ive lost 4 out of 4 matches, which in some cases would make sense. But I came in this season as div 5 OD favourites and now have lost 2 from 2, both massive upsets. Now i dont have a problem with upsets, i mean stats cant always say everything, but i have NO IDEA how i went down both times.

nibbs

International Captain
I think Mashonalands defeat best illustrates this point which needs addressing. The needed 20 run of 64 balls with 4 wickets in hand. Yet the somehow were defeated with their player still went for it, and they somehow crumbled and were defeated.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok guys, look from what i've seen results have been pretty fair, and in comparison, Much better then VC4...

Perfect example in response to Nibs comment about the ND-Mash game...
Today in the Pura cup, Victoria were 3 for 200 needing 30 runs to win and all of a sudden were 8 for 220, these collapses can happen and in the case of Mash this round, the batsman that lost their wicket were all tailenders...

I think before we start critisising we need to give both the sims more time...

Craig

World Traveller
Doesnt matter for me. My team is crap anyway. It has been written off as no-hopers.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Blewy said:
Ok guys, look from what i've seen results have been pretty fair, and in comparison, Much better then VC4...

Perfect example in response to Nibs comment about the ND-Mash game...
Today in the Pura cup, Victoria were 3 for 200 needing 30 runs to win and all of a sudden were 8 for 220, these collapses can happen and in the case of Mash this round, the batsman that lost their wicket were all tailenders...

I think before we start critisising we need to give both the sims more time...
i agree with blewy, vc4 was a hundred times worse than this
i like the new sim :P i am yet to loose a game. hehehe

but as blewy said collapses do happen, cricket is a funny game.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
nibblet said:
I think Mashonalands defeat best illustrates this point which needs addressing. The needed 20 run of 64 balls with 4 wickets in hand. Yet the somehow were defeated with their player still went for it, and they somehow crumbled and were defeated.
As Blewy said they were all tailenders, but their averages weren't so bad that they couldn't have got the runs. I'm more confused by De Silva and Symonds trying to hit it out of the park just a little while earlier when they just needed to consolidate. It seems to be that every batsman in this sim will go for it whatever the situation of the game.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rik said:
As Blewy said they were all tailenders, but their averages weren't so bad that they couldn't have got the runs. I'm more confused by De Silva and Symonds trying to hit it out of the park just a little while earlier when they just needed to consolidate. It seems to be that every batsman in this sim will go for it whatever the situation of the game.
It's what the crowds want to see.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
True but it's not really that realistic! If there were 10 overs left and 30 runs to get, I wouldn't suddenly turn to Shahid Afridi mode...

So far I haven't seen any teams get near to 50 overs whilst chasing. They either get all out or win it in 35-45 overs.

Well if this continues then obviously I wouldn't mind a fix, it doesn't really seem to be following the econ stats for bowlers, but as Blewy said, let's see.

Cloete

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
hehe yeah i wouldn't mind seeing symonds and davison trying to hit every ball outta the ground tomorrow. as long as they can stay in for 30 odd balls and maybe get a 50.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rik said:
True but it's not really that realistic! If there were 10 overs left and 30 runs to get, I wouldn't suddenly turn to Shahid Afridi mode...

So far I haven't seen any teams get near to 50 overs whilst chasing. They either get all out or win it in 35-45 overs.

Well if this continues then obviously I wouldn't mind a fix, it doesn't really seem to be following the econ stats for bowlers, but as Blewy said, let's see.
Well...I've chased twice for 1 loss & a win.

1st round vs Northern Districts - chasing 287 (all out for 243 in 44.3 overs)

2nd round vs Somerset - chasing 276 (4-277 in 43 overs)

I think these are quite 'realistic' scores.

And Cloete I'm going tomorrow and it would be great to see those two along with Flower and Love to get some runs.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
Well...I've chased twice for 1 loss & a win.
Scarily the same here (or did I bat 1st against Karachi?) A loss by 8 runs though :(

Also chased in the VB cup.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
I am very happy with how ND is going but I can see the problem...

I think we need to give the new sim a chance and see what happens in the latter part of the season....

Just my two cents guys!!

Eyes

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really a complaint about run chases, but more about the fact that in my game against SA in the VB Cup I got out for 30, Heath Axelby took 1-1-0-5 and 6 of my batsmen got out 1st ball. I heard Auckland had 9 players out 1st ball last round. I know it's a slog-a-thon but still...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON !!!!

:!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!(

this is so Un realistic first its auckland then its me..

in the vb cup game against Karnataka

Hampshire 5 A.O

M Sigera 1 0 2 1
K Ali 1 1 0 6
N Khan 1 0 3 2

Karnataka 10-0

how in the world can that every happen.. i think with a batting lineup such as hamps even a really good bowling lineup like karnataka cant demolish like that.. bangladesh "b" side would have done better..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Relevance??? Are you serious? Have you not been around for the last couple of weeks? Kabir Ali took 9 wickets in 9 balls v Auckland and now takes 6 wickets in 6 balls v Hampshire. Isn't the relevance clear?