• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

<<SEASON 4, ONE DAY, ROUND 1 Reports>>

nibbs

International Captain
Bears take it to miserable Tigers.

Warwickshire batted first against the more favoured Tamil Nadu line up. New openers Owen Hemp (24) and Nathan Astle (47) got things off to a flying start as the pair put on 64 inside 12 overs. Hemps dismissal triggered a minor collapse as Warwickshire crashed to 101/4.

Rookie Trevor Rowell, and Australian international Michael Clarke meet each other at the crease for the first time. The pair batted superb making added 131 off 132 bowls. Clarke went eventually for 77 of only 73 balls including 2 sixes and 5 fours. Rowell went a few overs later for a solidly put together 79, not bad on debut. With Rowell and Clarke on the charge 300+ looked on fo sho, but a few late wickets saw the innings putt out and finish at a very respectable 278/8, which the sold out City of Birmingham Stadium showed their full appreciation to giving their boys a standing ovation.

Tamil Nadu manager Andrew Cloete looks very anxious during the break. Trying to inspire to his players to only TNs second win in 3 seasons (no wins in season 2, only 1 win season 3).

His talk as expected did nothing as a rampant Warwickshire took TN to the cleaners. Adam Dale (2/38) and Ben Gregson (2/48) helped see Tamil Nadu reduced to 19/4, before finally Hitchcock (3/39) and Astle (3/16) capped off a stunning start to the season, as Tamil Nadu crumbled all out for 178 in the 37th over.

"Great to the season. Hopefully the start of better things to come" - Kurt Christensen, Warwickshire manager.

Rich2001

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Are results out? I haven't gotten mine yet...
Yeah likewise, I heard from Lord that all the results were sent out a while back however I haven't recived anything as yet :) - From what Lord has told me, there's no rush either! :(

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Manager labels Somerset 'pathetic'

Somerset manager Guy Kerridge has dealt out an angry response to Somersets first round OD loss to Jamaica. 'Only Turpin was impressive for me.' Kerridge said, 'He kept to his basics, didnt play any stupid shots and it came off for him. I was happy with his efforts today, however I thought the rest of the team were pathetic.'

Earlier, Jamaica had batted first and Somerset had been consistant enough to bowl them out for 226, however failure to take advantage of chances given cost Somerset many runs. Somerset had then batted and despite Turpins attempts. it was pointless, Somerset went down by 37 runs.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Auckland versus ACT

The game started as you would expect in what was thought to be a massive mismatch. Ramage (3/44) snapping up Montgomerie (7), DeJong (4) and Godwin (0) to leave Auckland struggling early at 25/3. Then a minor recovery effort as Smith (37) and Rowell (30) took the score to 66 before three more wickets perished for 22 runs - 88/6.

Indeed it looked very grim. This was even more so when Rowell flashed at a ball from Flintoff (3/22) - 128/7. Now it was time for the youngsters to shine. Renie Plummer showed maturity far beyond his 18 years and Rikki Briers did much the same. The two combined for 36 years of age and 94 runs before the latter nicked a Jeffrey delivery walking back for a fine 63. Plummer ended on 53 not out and Tudor on 3 not out.

The total of 227 seemed far too short of a winning total against a team such as ACT. However, it seemed far more likely when the score slumped to 52/3. Young Plummer had taken two of the three wickets bowling with raw pace and getting some nice outswing to the right-handers. Saranavan continued and batted superbly in compililing 59 runs off 89 balls but he had his off stump rattled by a fine arm ball from London - 155/5. At this point, 82 balls remained and 73 runs were required.

Jeffrey and Dawson batted calmly and timed the ball nicely about as ACT moved to comfortable range of victory at 207/6. Then, the unthinkable happened. Jeffrey slashed a ball off the top edge and was superbly held by Montgomerie at third man for 45 - 207/6. The next over, Ramage was run out first ball by a superb piece of fielding from London off his own bowling - 207/7. 8 balls remaining and 21 runs still required. French charged down the track to his first ball missing it completely and finding himself stumped and Auckland on a hat trick. Enter last man Matt Bulbeck and the fielder piled around, strangling the left-handed batsman.

48.6 London to Bulbeck, OUT: pushes forward, loud appeal for a catch at silly point and the umpire gives it. Auckland win!!!!!!!!!
ACT 207/10, Partnership of 0
M Bulbeck c Godwin b London 0 (1b 0x4 0x6)
A Flintoff 9* (12b)
D London 10-0-37-4

Last edited:

deckard

U19 Captain
Sinclair Gives Canterbury Rd 1 Win

In their opening matches of season 4, Surrey played Canterbury at Jade Staduim. The Canterbury locals packed the staduim to see a superb batting performance by Sinclair. Scoring 151 n.o. off 140 balls, Sinclair's batting was the difference between the two sides.

Canterbury got their innings off to a good start making 60 runs without losing a wicket, but some good Surrey bowling, in particular from Lambert, meant Canterbury collapsed to 5-123. The match could have gone either way at this stage, but a huge 170 run partnership between Sinclair and White meant Canterbury were in a strong position of 7-310 at the end of their 50 overs. The pick of the Surrey bowlers would be Lambert who took 3 wickets but was expensive in conceding 68 runs from 9 overs.

Needing over 6 runs an over, Surrey's innings got off to a terrible start as Fernando tore through the top order, leaving Surrey 4-39 after only 6.2 overs. While batsmen like Parker, Javed and Puttick got off to good starts, none of them went on to make a big score which Surrey needed. Surrey were all out for 196, with Fernando and Mills taking 3 wickets each.

Overall a good performance from Canterbury with Sinclair being the star. Acording to the bookies, Canterbury were tipped to come second last, but this win over the favourites for the title will surely change everyones opinion.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
after a dropout lost my report a couple of minutes ago :!( :!( :!(

bad effort, 3 golden ducks as Madanagopal and Guneratne lead us to just 221

Victoria got there easily after Lee Was expensive taking 1/76 K Daly was unlucky not to pick up wickets as he kept in to 0/31 from 9 overs Shaw also bowled well taking 1/34

looking for better performances from here on in

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ACT manager Simon Fitzsimmons is absolutely livid with his sides performance against Auckland. The team started favourites to win the division 4 1d title and with many more performances like this could find themselves in division 5 next season.

Losing to a team like Auckland is completely unacceptable in this comp, we are setting our sights on winning this title, i think its already time to re asses the strategy. and it seems a shame the best way to win is to bat first, irrespective of the stats of your players.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Free State are delighted at the almighty screw up from Title Rivals ACT, and will post a match report on the Eagles' comfortable neutralisation of Western Province fairly soon.

I want to receive the results first!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Re: Manager labels Somerset 'pathetic'

Mr. Ponting said:
Somerset manager Guy Kerridge has dealt out an angry response to Somersets first round OD loss to Jamaica. 'Only Turpin was impressive for me.' Kerridge said, 'He kept to his basics, didnt play any stupid shots and it came off for him. I was happy with his efforts today, however I thought the rest of the team were pathetic.'

Earlier, Jamaica had batted first and Somerset had been consistant enough to bowl them out for 226, however failure to take advantage of chances given cost Somerset many runs. Somerset had then batted and despite Turpins attempts. it was pointless, Somerset went down by 37 runs.
Like wise not to happy with my batting there is now way I expected to win after only posting 226.

I must congratulate my bowlers on a fantastic effort I did not think they had it in them.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Hampshire 290 against Queensland and bowling them out for below 250..

We had no doubt we would waste the australian side.. hampshire still stand strong.. and are a force to be reckoned with in the 1day comp.

We Will Fight Till Death..kinda

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
nsw get out of the blocks

nsw manager bugs malone was happy bt not overly at his sides one day opening performance against state rivals w.a

with w.a batting first nsw really need to put the pressure on the wa batting order, with langer going first ball with an amazing run out they where under the hammer early, and @ 2 - 21 they looked like they where in trouble, but a solid partnership between m hussey 89 (116) and c donald 48 (66) wa got them selves back in the match. no one lese though in the wa side could really muster up anything and the home sde where all out for 229, could that be enough to get the 2 points from a determined nsw team.

the nsw bolwing seen some inconsistancy with some good and lack luster bowling with the bowlers not putting enough balls in the right chanels.

rookie w roth took his first bag with a solid 4 - 63 of 10.he was well backed up by s lee 2 - 39 of 10 and frguson although he didnt take a wicket he had impressive figures of 7 overs o maiden 0 - 24.....

nsw run chase................got off to a bad start when c richards went in the second over for 4, when kallis went in th 4th over nsw where in all sorts @ 2 - 23. haddin was the next to go for 40 (50) when the score was 100 and itw as a very even contest, lara went for a small total of 7 and when bevan went for 64 (87) nsw where 5 - 141 chasing 229. up stepped rookie b english and with some help from the middle to lower order nsw passed the w.a side with 2 wickets in hand. b english playing a great innings on debut for the nsw blues with a solid 59 (65) to set up the win in the 47th over.

pick of the wa bowlers was p peters with 2 - 37 of 10 overs

nsw will be conducting the 3 2 1 points system and this game the points went this way

b english 3

m bevan 2

w roth 1

Slats4ever

Province, Another season in the doldrums?

Wet conditions met the two South African teams at Goodyear Park for the innaugral clash between the two South African teams.
The national Anthem was played around the ground as the weather began to clear which allowed play to get underway on time.

Young star Hamish Nelson got the Province innings away to a flyer but what looked like a promising start was halted by a wonderful slower ball from Vadeyaraj which took out Llewellyns' stumps. With the danger man back in the pavillion it was hard for the men from the west to achieve any real momentum. The Free State bowlers have to be congratulated for some very disciplined bowling which was able to hold the batsman down with only debutants Nelson and Cameron being able to go past 50. None of the batsman were able to get on top and a small total of 218 was all they could manage in their 50 overs, with some very good bowling led by Van der Gucht (2-35).

The West knew that they had to field well and bowl a good line and length. In contrast to the Province innings Free State looked determined to entertain and buoyed by a roaring home crowd went on the attack. Jefferson, Snow and Arlott all sparkled in a great innings which saw the score tick over at more than 6 an over for the first 20 overs. The Free State top order made the Province bowlers pay for some wayward bowling and from there they were able to cruise to victory. Arlott was the pick with 60 not out which won him man of the match, and the mini middle order collapse flattered the Province side more than they deserved, with Free State cruising to victory with 4 wickets in hand and 10 overs to spare.

Slats4ever Manager of Province - Look a tough start to the year. Full credit to this Free State side they've truly done well and built up a wonderful one day unit from scratch, they will go far this season. Our boys were dissapointing. The batsman didn't want to score runs with enough hunger and a small total was always on the cards, and the bowling was wayward which allowed the Free State batsman to get on top.

Western Province One Day points

3- Hamish Nelson
2- Ian Cameron
1- Thilan Samaraweera

nibbs

International Captain
Mr. Ponting said:
I don't know who you are playing but I REALLY doubt it.:)

ewww. Could a full scale war be about to develop between Free State and Somerset?

Mr. P

nibblet said:
ewww. Could a full scale war be about to develop between Free State and Somerset?
Kurt you and I both know how crap the Free State 4D team is, I was merely rubbing it in.