• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Star Series

What do you prefer??

• Use this new format

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Keep the old format

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Have no AS Series and be bored for 2-3 weeks

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok now i know a few of you aren't really interested in the All Star series, but on the same side you don't like sitting around waiting for the Draft/New season to begin...

However with the Playoff games this season there will be less time between the seasons end and the Draft, so my suggestion is this...

Instead of having a Divisional All Star Series we could have a 3 way Regional tournament...

Here is how it would work...

Teams would be made up like this...

Oceania
NSW, QLD, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, West Australia, ACT, Auckland, Canterbury, Nthn Districts

United Kingdom
Glamorgan, Hampshire, Kent, Leicestershire, Lancashire, Somerset, Surrey, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire

Rest of the World
Colts, Free State, Guyana, Jamaica, Karachi, Karnataka, Mashonaland, Mumbai, Tamil Nadu, Western Province

The manager of each club will submit 1 batsman and 1 bowler from their squad to be up for selection for 1d and 4d...

There will be 4 people chosen to manage each reagion 2 for 1d and 2 for 4d...

The 2 managers for the region will then decide on which player of the 2 from each team submitted will represent...
This will give the squad 10 players, The 2 managers will then select 2 keepers and 4 players who they feel deserve selection in the squad this will make up a total of 16 players...
The maximum amount of players each team can have representing their region is 3 so the 2 keepers and 4 extras cannot come from the 1 team...

The managers will then work together to select sides etc for their games...

The tournament itself will be a tri series format with each team playing the other twice(1 home and 1 away), after the prelim the top 2 will playoff in the final...

The way the managers will be selected has not yet been decided but will be based on a few things such as team performance throughout season 3, Involvement in WCC issues, etc...

At this stage this is just a suggestion as a alternative to the old format, but if you feel it would be more fun then the other version then we will use this fomat...

Let me know what you think...

I have posted this as a poll but i will only count votes from people who give their veiws on this format....

Cloete

International Captain
sounds good. because every team will have players in it. just one thing, will the players we put forth from our team's be used for 1d AND 4d?

Sriram k

Total Cricket Moderator
Good idea....gives us to see likes of Darden,A Jones and Sharat in 1 team versus the likes of O snow and O clarke.The sim editor will be done by then so I think you can run the tourney in the wcc sim if you want blewy.

Sriram

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah i was thinking that Sri but then picking the sides would be kind of blind as the performances on the WCC Sim would not represent what has happened in VC4...

But in saying that if people would prefer for it to be run under the WCC Sim then no worries...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
sounds good to me :) but tthe winner wont be hard to pick, lookiing at the stars from Mumbai, Karna, Colts and WP + Engineer from TN :) - i think that this would also be an appropriate way to end the assosciation with VC4, but than again, it could be a good way to inaugurate the new sim :)

nibbs

International Captain
boooooooooooooooooooooooooo :borg:

these ideas bore me immensly, although with MY ideas it'll all be good.

- Use proposed squad idea of GB (UK, Oceania, ROW), but let managers choose squad). Having only one or two in team kinda ****s me...

- Only one manager per team, working together wouldn't work, especially if I was forced to work with control freaks like the bastard Rich (die Rich :))

- This should be evolved into a world cup kinda format. Players should be given nationalities, I'm willing to do that if need be...

more soon...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well its all good and well in theory Nibs, but this way was designed to get everyone involved...

With players from every team involved it will give managers something to look out for, and the dual managers would be to give as many managers as possible the chance to be a part of the series...

nibbs

International Captain
there just has to be a way to work a world cup style of format, with countries. If that could be implemented it would be far more interesting. Managers would be interested to see how their country is going etc. The All Star Series is kinda like the Tri Nations. No-one really gives a **** (thats my opinion, I'm sure there are probably managers, who find this to be the highlight of the season)...

deckard

U19 Captain
I prefer the old system as with the new system its like 10 teams per regional team, but with the old system there were only 6 teams for each divisional team, so more involvement with the old system.

But the new format may mean that the teams are more even.

Rich2001

International Captain
nibblet said:
- Only one manager per team, working together wouldn't work, especially if I was forced to work with control freaks like the bastard Rich (die Rich :))
Right :( Where did that come from, Iam the most easily convinced person around :(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm in favour of the old format personally, but if the new one is brought in, I think every team must be represented in the squads, and every player play at least one match in the Series.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
GREAT IDEA!
This would fire everyone up, but i reckon that from now on rookies should be giving countries of origin, then we could have a serious crack at international seasons, which would go off, if u want a volunteer i could give everyone countries, but for season 3 i think this a great idea.
Shame the rest of the world boy's will be too strong, it won't really be much of a competition.:D :D

Cloete

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
GREAT IDEA!
This would fire everyone up, but i reckon that from now on rookies should be giving countries of origin, then we could have a serious crack at international seasons, which would go off, if u want a volunteer i could give everyone countries, but for season 3 i think this a great idea.
Shame the rest of the world boy's will be too strong, it won't really be much of a competition.:D :D
too bad we have Free State and Guyana dragging us down :!(:(. Nah seriously we'll be wayy too strong, specially if Birchy Boy can play :D

Rich2001

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
GREAT IDEA!
This would fire everyone up, but i reckon that from now on rookies should be giving countries of origin, then we could have a serious crack at international seasons
Rookies country of origin have always been who their first club was.

So for example B.Allen (Kent) = England, T.Darden (Mumbai) = Indian, M Jenkins (SA) = Australia etc etc etc

Last edited:

Sriram k

Total Cricket Moderator
Rich2001 said:
Rookies country of origin have always been who their first club was.

So for example B.Allen (Kent) = England, T.Darden (Mumbai) = Indian, M Jenkins (SA) = Australia etc etc etc
an there be a chance of international sides being made?
It would make things really interesting then....

Sriram