• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Division Three Four Day Preview

nibbs

International Captain
An interesting finish appears to be in the mist for division three as the four competition comes to a close.

Only three points seperate the top two sides, after Warwickshire pulled themselves back into the mix with a comprehensive showing against Northern Districts. Further more, Tasmania were dramatically held by Worcestershire. Perhaps the upset of the round came at Glamorgan as the home side ended Leicesters promotion ambitions.

Current Points:
Warwickshire - 101
Tasmania - 98
Glamorgan - 74
Leicester - 72
Worcestershire - 53
Northern Districts - 13

Northern Districts are up the duff. Theres is simply no way they can avoid relegation. They, sadly, have to be the worst side in WCC, and it'll be a while before they can shake this tag. Considering they defeated South Australia in a one day match in WCC's first season, one must wonder what has gone wrong in Hamilton.

Worcestershires final stand will come against Glamorgan. They wont finish last in division three, but fifth place almost certainly means relegations as the likes of Colts, Canterbury and possibly Western Province are waiting for them in playoff cricket. If they can beat Glamorgan and beat them well, there might still be a chance for them to rise into fourth. Victory vs. Glamorgan would mean a daunting last round show down in a potentail title deciding show down with Warwickshire. Everything would at stake, promotion and relegation. Worcestershire have got a reasonable batting line up, they just lack bowlers.

Leicester will be wondering whats gone terribly wrong. Victory in round over Tasmania had them thinking perhaps a bit to far ahead, has things have never got going since then. They next match comes against Warwickshire. Warwickshire pitch is likely to see plenty of wickets fall, and a result. They question will Leicesters bowling line up be able to match Warwickshires? They certainly have some talented batsmens like Ponting and Ogden. Can the deliever? Leicester finish up with an easy clash with ND. A win, but it appears that they have left it too little, too late.

Glamorgan will be a bit shocked to find themselves in third, but they deserve to be there. Whether they'll mantain this position is another question. They play Worcestershire in the game they need to avoid losing to ensure their division three status for next season. If they win that, they wont have much to play for. Something that might come in handy for Tasmania, in the other game which might very well seal them the championship. Glamorgan will be hoping the Hemp brothers and Upashantha can gudie them through this period.

Tasmania have been very solid all season. Only one defeat at the hands of their arch rivals Leicester, and two fine victories over their main rival for the title. But surprisingly they remain in second. Tasmania have the best batting line up in the division, and it has been their main stay in their title challenge. Perhaps their bowling has let them down at critical stages when wickets were needed, hence their two draws, games they had held good advantages in after strong batting efforts. Could this undermine their title chances? This week the face the demoralised ND side, who are preparing for life in division four. Victory will happen. But they need to win well and secure every possible bonus point. Depending on the size of their victory against ND, will see how desperate they are against Glamorgan. Victory should be taken here but again, its all about bonus points, which will tell the story.

Warwickshire have made big strides since the mess they were in season 2. The lead the division with 6 wins and 2 defeats, both at the hands of Tasmania. Warwickshires bowling has been superb this season. Kaneria and Gregson have been brilliant aquisitions for the club. Warwickshire face two tough tests. They play Leicester, a side which has proved unpredictable this season, and then they travel to Worcestershire for the final match. Leicester were annilated last time as Warwickshire made an amazing 620/5 declared, with Sriram making a record 270. Can this be repeated? I doubt it. Warwickshire pitch is more for the bowlers, generally meaning a result will be in the pipeline. Warwickshire should see off Leicester, but IMO the big test comes at Worcester. The groundsman at Worcestershire has ensured their ground is a hell hole for visiting bowlers. Can Warwickshires bowlers take 20 wickets will be the big question? If they can Warwickshire will win the match for sure. Again bonus points a critical, and this shall be interesting to see division comes to an interesting climax!

nibbs

International Captain
My predictions:

ROUND 9
Warwickshire vs Leicestershire = Warwickshire Win
Northern Districts vs Tasmania = Tasmania Win
Glamorgan vs Worcestershire = Worcestershier Win

ROUND 10
Worcestershire vs Warwickshire = Warwickshire Win
Tasmania vs Glamorgan = Tasmania Win
Leicestershire vs Northern Districts = Leicester Win

1. Warwickshire
2. Tasmania
3. Leicester
4. Worcestershire
5. Glamorgan
6. ND

David

International 12th Man
Good stuff Nibblet.. Although I beat Tasmania so I should beat you :P:P Hopefully.. A nice comprehensive wrap up of the division :)

nibbs

International Captain
David said:
Good stuff Nibblet.. Although I beat Tasmania so I should beat you :P:P Hopefully.. A nice comprehensive wrap up of the division :)
Yep, yep.

Well IMO, on the Warwickshire pitch my bowlers should see me home. It'll be a mid-low scoring match (scores in 200-300 range), with my bowling giving me the slight edge and seeing me home. Hopefully for only the fourth time this season my batsmen can get some bonus points too. We're really going to need them if we want to keep our lead, as I can't see anything but 17+ points coming for Tassy when they face ND.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
ROUND 9
Warwickshire vs Leicestershire = Draw

ROUND 10

1. Tasmania
2. Warwickshire
3. Leicester
4. Worcestershire
5. Glamorgan
8. ND

Rich2001

International Captain
nibblet said:
My predictions:

ROUND 9
Warwickshire vs Leicestershire = Warwickshire Win

ROUND 10

1. Warwickshire
2. Tasmania
3. Leicester
4. Worcestershire
5. Glamorgan
6. ND
Having been the simmer for this Division I've have first hand look at how the sides have gone all season and I think Tasmania although 3 points behind hold the advantage at this stage of the season.

I can't see Tassie dropping many points on the bowler friendly pitch at ND, while Warwicks have a very tough task agaist a all or nothing Leics side, who on their day can beat the best (oh lets quickly move on from that :!( ) however also have a ablity to crumble at the speed of light if they get behind.

Going into the last match I see Tassie move to the top and how a few points lead over Warwicks, then the intresting part comes both teams play teams they should beat on paper, however just ask Nibs how he has enjoyed facing Worcs this season and by holding Tassie to a draw shows they have it in them again. However Glamorgan are no push overs either but I expect Tassie to come through and just on the fact I feel they will pick up more points in this round I see them taking the D3 Four Day title.

However if Warwicks stroll through the Leics match then the last round could be very very intresting in the better team on the day taking the title, which on paper I would put Warwicks beating Worcs as the easier match, however like i said Warwicks have found Worcs to be a handful this season with them getting beat 2/3 times.

nibbs

International Captain
Yes, I agree

IMO, the next round could well the decisive round. I've got to play Leicester, who as Rich has said, are capable of beating anyone on their day. The thing IMO to take in is that last time Warwickshire **** all over them.

It wont be the same second time round, but I reckon my team will win. IMO, we could do very well for a our selves as far as bowling bonus point go. The main concern is batting. Only once this season at home have a scored bonus points while batting. A better effort will be needed. I predicting something like to take place:

Warw - 300
Leic - 175
Warw - 250
Leic - 250

Warwickshire 16 Points

Warwickshire win by....

I don't know what to expect from ND. Hopefully they can take a few points away from Tasmania. The main hope is that they can score 200+ while batting. I'm holding onto hope that Fleming or Rhodes will have a big one, and score 100+. Their bowling is pretty much ****house, so I'm expecting a score of 450+ from Tasmania. Hope the NDs more batting orientated pitch will come in handy when hoping for this.

So Tassy - 500
ND - 225
ND - 150

Tassy 17 Points

If the following takes place then the top two spaces should look like this:

Warwickshire 117
Tasmania 115

Hence, leaving the final round to close to call..,

GO ND!!!!!!!!!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rich2001 said:

I can't see Tassie dropping many points on the bowler friendly pitch at ND
But could anyone foresee Tasmania vs. Somerset in the last ONe Day round?!

nibbs

International Captain
interesting point Marc. IMO, the one day game produces more upsets. ie Auckland beating SA in the VB Cup and Somerset over Tasmania this last week.

However generally the better side on paper will win four day clashes...