Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: A compromise

  1. #1
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,903

    A compromise

    No poll here, but have closed the other one which is clearly going nowhere:

    Having combined the suggestions of 2 or 3 people, I have the following amended proposal.

    Basically we reintroduce the trading of draft picks into the equation. Instead of swapping 2 good players for 1 super and 1 right donkey - you swap them for 1 super and 1 poor draft selection. Still have to retain all the players that have been traded in (and not traded on to another side), and the number of draft picks is the number of players you HAVE to drop.

    The benefit of this that I can see is that although you will still end up with a poor player to balance the squad strength slightly, you can actually decide on what type of player you want to complete your squad.

    Could people post on this amended idea, and try to be constructive.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  2. #2
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    641
    The thing is its still essentially the same as a 6th draft pick is usually a donkey, so there will be a reluctance to trade.

    But what i want to know marc is why u want to make WCC so much fairer?

  3. #3
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,372
    As a new manager I am not too sure on how the whole trading/draft system operates.

    What would be good...you pick your 10 players and get your two rookies (that gives you a squad size of 12. The six players you drop go into a pool with all other players from other clubs that have been dropped. From the pool, the managers, get a pick in the order they have finished (last in division 5, first pick, first in division 1 gets last pick) for four picks. This way managers still drop 6 players each and it gives the weaker sides a chance to strengthen.

    So there would be:
    1. A trading period for however long.
    2. Then the drafting period for however long.
    3. Then the relegations before the new season.

    For all I know this could already be the process, or I could be completely off the mark. But it sounds like an interesting & fair way to me.

  4. #4
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Mumbai,India
    Posts
    529
    I just dont know y u want to change the rules.The rules last season were fine and many weak teams benefitted.Just leave the trading as it is.All r enjoying this and i dont understand y u want to be a spoil sport.

    Is it necessary whatever u have thought shl be included.I know u r thinking fine but no one likes it then just forget abt it.

    This thread will also go the same way as the other.
    Manager of Karnataka
    Season 2 Div 3 Four Day Champions
    Season 2 Div 3 One Day Runners up
    Season 2 Vb Cup Champions
    Season 3 Div 2 Four Day Champions
    Season 3 Div 3 One Day Champions
    Season 4 Div 2 One Day Champions


  5. #5
    Total Cricket Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    387
    If I understand your rule right then heres how the senario would be :

    Mumbai want say stratton....So they go up to SA and offer a host of players say Graham+Muzumdar+Tendulkar.SA in return give them Stratton + their 5th+6th DPs....

    Now mumbai have 2 extra Dps so they will retain only 8 and pick up 4 REAL CRAP players (Maybe even worse than wht they wud have got from sa along with stratton) into their team.
    This means ur earlier rule and this 1 are EXCATLY the same!
    This doesnt seem like a compromise to me it seems like the same old wine in the same old bottle ..may be with a new label!


    Sriram

  6. #6
    Cricketer Of The Year Blewy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Your house
    Posts
    9,964
    Originally posted by aditya
    I just dont know y u want to change the rules.The rules last season were fine and many weak teams benefitted.Just leave the trading as it is.All r enjoying this and i dont understand y u want to be a spoil sport.
    This is a bit hipocritical Aditya....

    You were one pushing for the Finance system very hard, now from what i can see that would be called change....

    Now Marc has made a suggestion and whether you agree with it or not it is fair for him to do so and fair for you to also give your opinion, but when you start making it personal and also begin to try and influence decisions(as u were in the previous thread) its not on...

    I personally told Marc that i liked his idea, and i would like to maybe see it introduced, but my role is to give people what they want, but in the same process make sure that the game can continue with the changes that are made....

    Now let this conversation go on and allow people to give THIER opinions without any influence from others...
    Marc has put his case forward so let the rest take care of itself...

  7. #7
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,903
    Originally posted by deckard
    The thing is its still essentially the same as a 6th draft pick is usually a donkey, so there will be a reluctance to trade.
    The 6th draft pick will not be anywhere near as bad as the donkey since the donkey will be the worst player in the weak team, and the draft will include all the rookies and Academy players.


    Originally posted by deckard
    But what i want to know marc is why u want to make WCC so much fairer?
    The whole idea of the game in the first place was to try to even the sides up.

  8. #8
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,903
    Originally posted by aditya
    I just dont know y u want to change the rules.The rules last season were fine and many weak teams benefitted.
    For a start, someone else suggested part of this rule, and you yourself have contributed to it in a way as well!

    The rules last season were fine in the sense that some teams managed to get rid of players they were going to dump anyway, and pick up a superstar in the process - that is clearly unequal and benefits that side a great deal.

    "Weak teams benefited" confuses me since they lost a star player but the weak player would've been dumped and had the trade not been completed they would've had a chance to get one of the good players through the draft.

    Thus they've in effect lost a star and picked up a good player - and that's fair?

    Originally posted by aditya

    This thread will also go the same way as the other.
    And is that a threat?

  9. #9
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,903
    Originally posted by Sriram k
    Now mumbai have 2 extra Dps so they will retain only 8 and pick up 4 REAL CRAP players (Maybe even worse than wht they wud have got from sa along with stratton) into their team.

    This means ur earlier rule and this 1 are EXCATLY the same!
    No it doesn't. The 4 "REAL CRAP" will not be as bad as the 2 they would've picked up, since the draft includes more than just the dumped players.

    These players will not only be better, but the manager will be able to select his own back-ups, rather than being left with someone he has no choice over.

    ie he may be able to pick up a batsman with 30 to back them up, when under the old suggestion he was given a bowler with SR 80 when he had enough bowling back-up.

  10. #10
    Total Cricket Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    387
    Originally posted by marc71178
    No it doesn't. The 4 "REAL CRAP" will not be as bad as the 2 they would've picked up, since the draft includes more than just the dumped players.

    These players will not only be better, but the manager will be able to select his own back-ups, rather than being left with someone he has no choice over.

    ie he may be able to pick up a batsman with 30 to back them up, when under the old suggestion he was given a bowler with SR 80 when he had enough bowling back-up.
    Hmm just overlooked tht part of it...thts a good point.A slight improvement over the other method no doubt.
    But I still feel trade will be affected much by it in the sense tht there wil be much less of trading.Im still biased against it but I would also like to see wht the other ppl think of it ....


    Sriram

  11. #11
    International Captain Cloete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Suncorp Stadium
    Posts
    7,004
    Originally posted by Mister Wright
    As a new manager I am not too sure on how the whole trading/draft system operates.

    What would be good...you pick your 10 players and get your two rookies (that gives you a squad size of 12. The six players you drop go into a pool with all other players from other clubs that have been dropped. From the pool, the managers, get a pick in the order they have finished (last in division 5, first pick, first in division 1 gets last pick) for four picks. This way managers still drop 6 players each and it gives the weaker sides a chance to strengthen.

    So there would be:
    1. A trading period for however long.
    2. Then the drafting period for however long.
    3. Then the relegations before the new season.

    For all I know this could already be the process, or I could be completely off the mark. But it sounds like an interesting & fair way to me.
    you don't know just how righ u r!!! only we also add generated players into teh draft as well as the dropped ones. but the rest is almost exactly right.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

    Blacks ftw

  12. #12
    State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    1,351
    The players in the draft this time are going to be much stronger. The academy series was played with rookies, new players from teams not in the comp and the best of the rest. Add to that the players that sides will have to drop and some of them will be strong. There will still be some quality for the 6th pick I think.

    That said, the idea is an improvement but am worried about the trading of draft picks. The first trade period had these and it allowed some of the sides to get a huge advantage. I guess I am with a couple of the others in that I see no reason to change. The draft is the major thing that allow sides to even up.

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    Originally posted by The Argonaut
    The players in the draft this time are going to be much stronger. The academy series was played with rookies, new players from teams not in the comp and the best of the rest. Add to that the players that sides will have to drop and some of them will be strong. There will still be some quality for the 6th pick I think.

    That said, the idea is an improvement but am worried about the trading of draft picks. The first trade period had these and it allowed some of the sides to get a huge advantage. I guess I am with a couple of the others in that I see no reason to change. The draft is the major thing that allow sides to even up.
    noone is forcing teams to trade players or draft picks, its just an option availiable to the teams.

    i like this idea more, im still not sure what effect having to keep traded players, but there is only one way to find out
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    having said that i still doubt that i will want to keep everyone that i have traded and i will only want 4 draft picks (keeping 2 rookies)

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    7,190
    Originally posted by age_master
    i like this idea more, im still not sure what effect having to keep traded players, but there is only one way to find out
    Well ok lets go drastic!

    Blewy can take Div 1/2/3 and I'll take Div 4/5 we run seprate comps along side each other, Blewy takes one set of suggestions on such as Marc's and I'll take the others... at the end of the season the two comps re-merge and the most productive ideas are kept and those that were rubbish are binned

    Rich was only being sacrastic here - No need to get worried yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •