• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My idea

Must they be retained?

• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My proposal for the trading period is as follows:

If a player is traded into a side during the trade period, he MUST be retained in the 10 players retained prior to the draft.

It's as simple as that...

I've added a poll to help gauge opinion.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well the other scenario is the super sides get better and the weak sides don't - so the gap opens and we all get bored.

Uneven trades were outlawed for a reason, yet this is a workaround that will lead to the ruination IMO.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Well the other scenario is the super sides get better and the weak sides don't - so the gap opens and we all get bored.

Uneven trades were outlawed for a reason, yet this is a workaround that will lead to the ruination IMO.

isnt that the point of the draft??

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
isnt that the point of the draft??
Weak sides still pick up good players and because we have trades after drafts aswell , those good players are given to the top teams , with some mad trading..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But by allowing peple to drop the donkey's they select whilst picking up 1 star, their side gets even more stronger, and the other sides don't get the chance to sign better players in the draft.

Think about it IRL, would you sign for a club if you knoew you would be dropped immediately?

nibbs

International Captain
Some managers of good sides are generous, and don't mind helping out weaker teams, so they are willing to trade away good players, that they would otherwise release, for donkeys.

This can help out the weak, but such an idea would mean that this wouldn't happen and smallers sides could miss out potential helping trades.

Hence a gap might develop...

Graham

3rd Umpire
Whilst your suggestion holds more true to reality, it would take a lot of the fun out of trading and the game needs to retain as much of the fun aspect as possible.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
time for an example, now im making this up and its definatley not going to happen.

say i (colts) want umm Razzaq from TN, not i dont have a player good enough for a 1 to 1 trade so i offer to give 2 reaonable players for him and another ordinaruy player, so he might gain Singh and noffke for Razzaq and (someone crap) now he has gained 2 good players and i have gained an all rounder, both teams are better off. but i will probably not be able to retain the crap player compared to someone like Shewag or similar.

basically managers should be able to trade whoever they want into their squad and discard whomever they want from their squad into the draft

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I have spoken to Marc about this issue and have mixed opinions..

I think it would make WCC more realistic but like others have said it would take away from the fun a bit...

I would be prepared to put this into practice providing there is enough support...

nibbs

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Think about it IRL, would you sign for a club if you knoew you would be dropped immediately?
Well, that might only mean your not good enough to be a part of team. If you going to dropped perhaps, someone is telling you something. WCC demands the best, and if your not best, perhaps you could take up a new sport...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Graham said:
Whilst your suggestion holds more true to reality, it would take a lot of the fun out of trading and the game needs to retain as much of the fun aspect as possible.
And where's the fun in 2 or 3 teams getting themselves full of stars and dominating the game then?

That's the way it will go if we're not careful.

Like I said, this is a loophole to get around the uneven trading farce - and if it isn't closed soon then the game could very easily be on the slippery slope.

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
No, that thread talked about something completely different.

This is at the end of the trading period, nothing to do with 1 trade per player.
Here is wht that thread said

Ok guys it has been proposed that during this seasons trade period that players are only to be traded once...

This means that once a player has moved clubs he can no longer move again until the next seasons trade period...

It not only makes it easier on keeping tabs on where players are goin but it also makes it more realistic as no player in real life would move between 3 or 4 clubs in 3 or 4 weeks...

Anyway have a discussion and see what comes out of it, BUT KEEP IT NICE!!!!

Isnt it the same....

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
And where's the fun in 2 or 3 teams getting themselves full of stars and dominating the game then?

That's the way it will go if we're not careful.

Like I said, this is a loophole to get around the uneven trading farce - and if it isn't closed soon then the game could very easily be on the slippery slope.
wouldn't it have happened already, but look how many teams are going around that are competitive.

NSW, SA, QLD, Mum, Karna, Colts, WP, Cant, Surrey, Kent etc, can all knock each other off

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's nothing like the same. This is about the retention of the 10 players before the draft, which is nothing like a player can only be traded once.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
wouldn't it have happened already, but look how many teams are going around that are competitive.
We've only had 2 season breaks.

This will take a while, but eventually we'd get a massive gulf appear, and unless you have one of the big teams, there'd be no real point in playing.

The point is this rule is a loop hole in a rule that was applied, to pretty much universal agreement, to prevent this sort of thing happening.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nibblet said:
Some managers of good sides are generous, and don't mind helping out weaker teams, so they are willing to trade away good players, that they would otherwise release, for donkeys.
But that then doesn't become about good trading strategy, but charity.

If those good players are released, then they're open to all players in the draft, not just someone's friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.