Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Final Season

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar

The Final Season

It is with much sadness that I confirm that the current season of World Club Cricket will be the last. When I took over control again I always had a plan to put in for three seasons and then re-asses where the game was going, based on feedback from all the managers that I recieved a few months ago I was positive about the direction however it has become obvious that the game will not evolve into anything more than it is now.

I have had a great time not just over the last year and a half; but since 2002 when I first became involved. WCC set the standard for what was expected of an online simulation on Cricketweb and I'm proud of the enjoyment that so many people have gotten from it. It has been a lot of hard work running it by myself in recent times, as has been mentioned by other guys to have run it in the past it's almost like having a second full-time job, I have to thank Luffy for the times he's helped out and a few of the other guys such as Stephen and Kyle who have also been good for the odd suggestion or two.

There are a number of major factors as to why I am calling the end to it now, first and foremost I'm getting married next year and I'm also likely to be getting a promotion at work so I'll be working longer and harder hours. While I feel i could commit to another season I think there has been a bit of a lull lately and it seems the right time. Also the growth of games like From the Pavilion and Batrick has meant that a game like WCC has become redunant, you only have to look at sims like ICC or Cricket Coach and you can see why WCC has struggled to attract new members. With those sorts of games there are instant results and constant interaction, something that WCC has always strived for but never been able to deliver.

Thanks to all the managers who have put in over the past three seasons, I hope you have enjoyed the game and will stick around for the final few weeks of the season, most teams still have something to play for and a final WCC trohpy would be a good ending.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Sad to hear, but very grateful for all the time and work you've put into this, and I know how consuming it can be to try and run as I tried once before and didn't even get a season started. So thank you!

Just wish there was an easier way to do the stats between seasons as that takes most time.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Despite me being pretty non-commital to the whole thing I'll be sad to see it go. Thanks for the effort Simon, really enjoyed the latest incarnation of WCC.

Bets on someone taking over yet again? Tenner on Goff ftr.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

You just lost a tenner

Although its sad to see it go i really think its the best decision....

Top effort Si, totally understand the decision... CW wont be the same without it, we've been here in some form almost since day 1...

I regret never getting involved in this, TBH. I had a team lined up at one point, but the season I was set to be involved in never ended up happening so I never got to "play", as such. I always planned on making it known I'd be interested in joining again but I just never got around to it.

Iconic part of CW in a way; sad to see it finishing up. Something tells me it'll actually stay dead this time which would be a shame, IMO.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Blewy View Post
    You just lost a tenner
    It'll eat away at you, like a tapeworm. Quietly confident.

99*
    Yeah, only been involved for a small time but it was fun. Thanks for all the work you did with it. Was a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    She tells me the thing will flatten out, I say "Like your chest?" Bad mistake.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Very sad to see this not continue on, but definitely know that its bloody time consuming so really appreciate the effort you've put into this for a long time.

Hope the wedding and other things go your way, all the best with that Simon.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    . Agree with everybody here. Very sad to see it go. Glad to have been a part of it in it's final season. Gotta say thanks to Simon for the amount of effort put in to make this season as good as it has been. Thanks, mate!
    Where's my money?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Agree with a lot of the sentiments that have been expressed in this thread. WCC brought me to this forum, and I have been a consistent manager throughout all of its incarnations. I will be desperately sad to see it go.

I'd like to thank Simon for all his hard work, this was always going to be the last chance for WCC to survive and I think Simon has done a great job the past three seasons. I'm bitterly disappointed to see it go, but I can understand the reasons.

I may try to do something similar to WCC, but obviously not as detailed. I'll give more information over the weekend to see if there is any interest.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    First of all thanks for all the effect you put into the game in the last couple seasons, Simon. It will be sad to see WCC go, but it has been going through the motions for a while.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Whilst I haven't been a manager for very long, WCC was an integral part to CW for me and I know that lots of the other managers would feel the same way.

Simon, the work you have put in it is outstanding, and everyone should be grateful to you, as everyone knows how time consuming it would be.

Thanks again mate.

The whole reason why I signed up to this place.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Sorry to see this go. Simon and Brendon have certainly put a lot of work into it over the years and deserve a lot of thanks from the people who have taken a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Hopefully it can go out in style

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Can we find out who would have retired this season?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information