• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Retirement Age

Retirement Age???

Votes: 3 21.4%

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 1 7.1%

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Random

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • GB picks one player from each each season

• Total voters

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
Just going through the ages, i was wondering what age these guys retire.

So what age do you think the players should retire????

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i think 35 should be the age.
except if a player is still playing in real life after that he should retire at 37.
Shane Lee for example who has retired should retire at 35 and all the rookies at 35 too.
but say someone like mark waugh who was playing after 35 in real life should play 2 seasons longer.

Cloete

International Captain
well players normally retire from international cricket at 35. then play 1 more season of domestic. seeing as though WCC is domestic i think it should be 36!

Cloete

International Captain
but it also depends on success. i say if they r really good 37. average 36 and if they r reserves 35

nibbs

International Captain
I think it should be random, with a limit of 39. For instance after a player reaches 35, or even earlier, they should go into the draw, which randomly selects the players that will retire.

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
At a quick count, there are about 40 players 35 and over in the WCC. It could make thing very interesting if they all retire.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
The way Muzza has said is how it has been done in recent seasons....

At least IMO it gives some surprise whereas if we have it at 1 set age you know when its gonna happen...

Graham

3rd Umpire
I say automatic retirement at 37 if a player is still going at that age, but there should also be a handful of random retirements as at present.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Since Stewart is still one of the top 3 wicket-keeper/batsmen in the World at the age of 40 - I don't think we can just arbritarily retire people at a set age. Also, there's the added complication of the fact that ages weren't very readily available this season.

I propose some sort of chart whereby for every age from 30 onwards there's a percentage chance of a player retiring. Something like this:

30 - 0.25%
31 - 0.5%
32 - 1%
33 - 2.5%
34 - 5%
35 - 10%
36 - 20%
37 - 35%
38 - 50%
39 - 75%
40 - 95%
41 - 95%
42 - 95%
43 - 100%

That way it get's less and less likely that a player will continue at the end of the season as he gets older, but there's still a chance that we have a few "shock" early retirements.

GB, If you would like me to set something up to try and model this, let me know.

Rich2001

International Captain
I like both the current idea and Marc's suggestion BUT can I suggest that a limit is put on how many can retire from one club each season, going by Marc's idea nearly the whole NSW side is avalible for retirment and at least 7 are at 5% or higher.

I know it's highly unlikly to happen, but with random things you just never know.

And how many players retire at the end of the season, or is that a random figure as well?

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
I think from 38 onwards all should retire.So in Marc's chart at 38 it should be 100%.If someone can make a program something like what is in icc it would be great.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think we're going to allow the players to go on and on (even if it's a very small chance!)

And as for all NSW retiring, that's the porblem with geting an old team - can't see that that many would go anyway, and besides that, people have to drop 6 players!

Graham

3rd Umpire
If you want to keep a whole bunch of old farts in your squad, then so what if many of them retire! Sorry Bugs, but I have no sympathy for you on this one. You've had two seasons of trading opportunities to overcome this situation. Isn't that what trading is partly to do? (keep a balance between youth and experience even if it means slightly weakening your squad)
Even in real life, such situations occur now and then.

Rich2001

International Captain
Graham said:
If you want to keep a whole bunch of old farts in your squad, then so what if many of them retire! Sorry Bugs, but I have no sympathy for you on this one. You've had two seasons of trading opportunities to overcome this situation. Isn't that what trading is partly to do? (keep a balance between youth and experience even if it means slightly weakening your squad)
Even in real life, such situations occur now and then.
So what do you do if all his 7 34+ players retire? (not to mention a few shock retirements of his other 30+)

As only equal trades and a maxium of 6 players can be picked up in the draft to make his squad numbers back up to the required 16

Ok the chances of this happening is low, but with a random programe anything could happen.

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
If something like that happened we could do what would happen in real life and give him a few more random rookies to fill the void...

Rich2001

International Captain
Blewy said:
If something like that happened we could do what would happen in real life and give him a few more random rookies to fill the void...
*Suddendly wishes all his players were 40, going by how good the rookies are most of the time*

:saint: :cool2:

nibbs

International Captain
Rich2001 said:
I like both the current idea and Marc's suggestion BUT can I suggest that a limit is put on how many can retire from one club each season, going by Marc's idea nearly the whole NSW side is avalible for retirment and at least 7 are at 5% or higher.

After the Sydney Olympics, Australia lost a huge chunk of their Basketball team. The newbies then lost to NZ a few months later. If you guys want to keep this a bit like real life, I think that you might have to consider the fact of seven players retiring. I mean, most of Bugs' squad are real life players, and many are well known. Bugs should have realised this when signing them up, that they are old, and will retire sooner or later.

I'm thinking maybe Sriram should get to work, and make a sim. This time it can be 'retirement generator'. Basically you chuck in all the +33 players, have different odds for each age, then sim. NSW might be unlucky, they might get lucky.