• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GB's Season Preview...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Over the next day or so i will be writing a report on each team and my views on their chances of winning during the upcoming season and also the players to watch out for...
Stay Tuned
:D :D

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
ACT

Without doubt the strongest team on paper..
ACT have a wealth of talent all across the board.
Players like Southam, Dawn, Jeffrey and Hanna, all look strog with the bat,
and with the experience of Trescothick to back that up, they look capable of posting big scores...
As for their bowling they have Brad Williams, Shane Watson, Mann and Ramage and backed up
by some quality spin of Hogg and Higgs they look to have a very complete package...
The big question will be whether they can step up to the next level after many seasons in the lower leagues in Australia..
Manager Simon Fitzimmons has returned home from a very dissapointing stint with English side Worcester and he seems to have the team ready for the season start...
Player to Watch Out For: After a very dissapointing season last year with South Australia Shane Watson has impressed early and will be looking to give the ACT boys a bit of guidance.. Watson was outshone by his fellow Allrounders last season in SA but this season he has the job pretty much to himself and looks set to take the challenge....

FREE STATE

The 2nd South African side to enter the WCC, and with there counterparts yet to make an impression they have the chance to take their county by storm....
They lack the big names that WP have but Manager Neil Pickup has recruited strongly..
Free State have picked up the Sri Lankan star Chaminda Vaas and with Dewald Pretorius they form a very formidable pace attack..
The Problem in the end of the day for them may be their depth in Batting...
Dippenaar, Deacon, Leibenberg and Mahesh will shoulder alot of the batting workload, with the word injury being kept very hush hush in the camp...
Manager Neil Pickup returns to the WCC after a short stint with Somerset in season one, Pickup will be hoping to make a big impression on the SA people...
Player to Watch Out For: With Chaminda Vaas being recruited, the pressure has been taken off Dewald Pretorius, but i feel that Pretorius may take the bull by the horns and run with it.. I think Pretorius will shine in his 1st season in the WCC, im sure Manager Neil Pickup will be hoping the same....

GUYANA
Guyana will share the joy with Jamaica becoming the 1st West Indies teams to join the WCC..
Guyana's main chances will come in the one day game, with the likes of Kumar, Cameron and Parlane all having good records with the bat..
The Surprising side to the Guyana camp was them trading Tendulkar back to Mumbai after picking him up in the 1st trading window...
Tendulkar gave their batting a solid look, but now it looks as though it could be vulnerable if the top few fail...
They will look to Lawson, Morris, Martin and Hitchcock to lead their attack...
Player to Watch Out For: I.Cameron will need to step up and take the Allrounder spot, if he can do this then Guyana may be able to spring some surprises..

JAMAICA
The Jamaicans have finally had their submission to join the WCC approved, and with Manager Eclipse at the helm they will look to lead the Windies charge to the top of the WCC...
It may take a season or 2 for the Jamaicans to settle in but they certainly have the base for a very good side...
With Bahradwaj, Swann, Hinds and Di Venuto providing the batting power they will also be looking to youngsters Ronchi, Street and White to shine..
With the ball they have Williams, Srinath, Betts and Harkness who will spearhead their attack..
Player to Watch Out For: A.Swann, the former Lancs star had a lean season with the bat last year, and will be out to repeat his season 1 efforts with the bat, which made him one of the best batsman in the WCC...

More to come soon!!!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i wouldnt say my stint with worcs was that bad, after all i did take them to 3rd in season 1 in division 2 and only 1 win off promotion. :P apart from that thats pretty accurate so far.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Just myself and Karachi to come from the teams in Div 5...I can't wait :D

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
KARACHI

The Karachi team look very strong, with some top batsman and some good quality bowlers…
The amazing thing with this side is they are yet to get a manager…
With batting talent the likes of Bin Nasir, Javed, Fernando, McMillan, Stead and Iqbal Karachi look as though they are a real threat to the ACT…
But the talent does not stop in the batting ranks, they have recruited very well in picking up former South African Captain Shaun Pollock, and with Maqbool, Fernando and Bahutule they have one of the stronger attacks going around…
If the club problems can settle and they find a steady manager then Karachi have the team to fight with the big teams in the WCC…
Player to Watch Out For: S.Bin Nasir has a domestic record up there with the best and Karachi will be relying on him to guide them to promotion. If he can fire and has enough support there are no limits for a Karchi side with a lot of young talent..

MASHONALAND

Mashonaland are being seen as the divisional strugglers, but that’s far from the sights of Manager Erik Loveland Heath as he sets out to the Zimbabwean side to the heights of WCC glory…
The side is not stacked with match winning superstars and to be honest, if you looked at the list of names on paper you’d be lucky to have heard of about 3 or 4 of them, but this side has banded together well..
They have some quality batsman in Fulton, Rogers, Smith and Rennie, but the big hope comes from the 2 young brothers. The Petal brothers were drafted into the side and have impressed all in front of them, with Mashonaland directors receiving many offers from other clubs…
Their main chances will come in the 4 Day version of the game, but their bowlers will have to step up and make a name for themselves , If they do, then im sure their batsman will have done the job…
Player to Watch Out For: Without doubt the players to watch are the Petal boys, they will produce some brilliant cricket and further enhance their reputation as not only the next generation of Zimbabwean cricket but also the future of the WCC…

MORE SOON!!!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
VICTORIA

The Victorians will have 2 different tastes of the WCC this season. They will experience the highs of the 2nd Division 1 Day competition, but also the lows of the 4 Day 4th Division..
Its quite an interesting situation they have as there team boasts a heap of talent, both with the bat and with the ball…
Their batting has names such as Elliott, Sangakarra, Lloyd, Hodge, and Blackwell, their bowling the likes of Lewis, Innes, and Bradburn and also the all-round talents of Harvey and White..
With this kind of talent I’m sure that manager Stephen Pearson will want no less than promotion in the 4 Day game, and in the hotly contested 1 Day game he would love to be challenging the leaders..
Player to Watch Out For: Look for Matthew Elliott to have a big season this year, he was quiet last season, and the thought of having Victoria down in the Division 4 doldrums will certainly fire him up…

SOMERSET

Somerset have been strugglers in the WCC since it began, but this season I can see a few things changing. They have just signed a new manager in Roosterboy, who will be getting his 1st taste of WCC action, but they look a much more complete team this season despite a few losses…
They have a very steady looking batting line-up with Adams, Bowler, Lathwell, Key and Butcher all capable of destroying teams, and their bowling line-up looks solid as well with Caddick, Morris, Johnson, Bulbeck and Wilson all boasting a wealth of experience…
In Division 4 for both forms of the game I think there best chance to move up is in the 4 day competition. Keep an eye out for somerset…
Player to Watch Out For: Jimmy Adams has made his way to Somerset and looks the goods, His 1st season in the WCC and I think he will gain a big reputation on the way to guiding Somerset to their best season yet…

WESTERN PROVINCE

Western Province held the pride of South Africa on their shoulders in their 1st season in the WCC, and now with the entrance of Free State to the WCC they have increased pressure. But after what many would call a disappointing season, they look set for a big year. They have recruited well picking up the likes of Mail, Cox, Richardson, Vincent, Astle, Irani, Jayawardene and Brett Lee, but in the process lost big names such as Kirsten, Kallis, Akhtar and Smith, But the squad looks much more balanced and seems to have a lot more depth. In Division 4 in 4 Day they look to be one of the main contenders, whereas in 1 Day they look as though they could struggle in a strong looking Division 3…
Province Manager Ian Markus has signalled that the rivalry against Sri Lanka’s Colts, could be the decisive game in his teams 4 Day chase for the crown…
Player to Watch Out For: Ishmael Nelson, not only was he the 1st player christened by the WP club in a strange move by manager Ian Markus, But he also looks to be their best bowler. For a rap like that to come to a young player when he has the likes of Brett Lee beside him is a big call, but this kid is the real deal. If he fires WP are well on their way to a title…

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The Mashonaland board reject to the use of the phrase "divisional strugglers", stating that although they don't have many star names they do infact have a squad to be recconed with.

So NER :P:P:P

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
AUCKLAND

The Auckland faithful will be hoping that Mr Mxyzptlk can bring their club some fortune. Auckland are another club who have struggled to establish themselves in the WCC, and despite having what looks to be a good side, I find it hard to see how they could change their fortunes looking at their opponents.
Mr Mxyzptlk will be looking to build on this side for next season where they could really begin to be a force.
Auckland have to great talent in Harris, Symonds, Horne and Campbell and with the 1st Round draft pick of Howarth they have a strong looking batting line-up, but it’s the bowling where they could struggle. They have a solid attack but lack that 1 stand-out who can rip through a team when needed….
Auckland could surprise a few teams but consistency will be the key to any success they can muster from this season..
Player to Watch Out For: The player to watch out for in the Auckland side will without doubt be E.Howarth, he can score runs and if he gets support from his experienced team mates then he could break some records.

COLTS

After an mixed inaugural season in the WCC, the Colts will be looking to play consistent cricket in both forms of the game. In season 2 they were by far and away the best team in Division 3 in the 1 day game but when it came to the long version they struggled..
They have a host of talent with players of the calibre of Katich, Singh, Sehwag, Anderson, and Sharath. Add to that the addition of star all-rounder M.Beasley Mark Boucher and the bowling talents of Kumble, Noffke, Hoggard, Upashantha and Liyanage, they have an awesome looking line-up.
They will begin the 4 day season as favourites to take out Division 4, whilst in the 1 Day game they will face a fiercely contested Division 2, Manager Andrew Garven will be hoping that his side can maintain their unbeaten records in the 50 over a side game.
Player to Watch Out For: As ever S.Sharath will be important to the Colts cause, but the man who I think will be a key will be M.Beasley. Beasley looked the goods in the Season 2 Academy series and his presence in the side gives Andrew Garven a option he missed last season.

CANTERBURY

Beginning their 2nd season in the WCC, Canterbury manager John Deckard has built his side up to whats looks a very competitive outfit. They have a host of proven performers such as Jaffer, Johnson, Sinclair and Chanderpaul, and with Raza also being added, their batting looks intimidating. Their bowling has been boosted by impressive rookie O.Clarke, who along with Mills, Burson, Kirby, Schofield and Agarkar will attempt to get Canterbury into the higher relms of the WCC..
Canterbury are the early favourites for the One Day title, and also among a group of 3 teams who could take the 4 day title.
Player to Watch Out For: W.Jaffer is the key in my opinion to the Canterbury 4 day challenge, he is capable of scoring bigs runs and if he gets going could single handedly give Canterbury the crown..

Coming soon, ND, Worcester, Warwickshire and Tasmania

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
The Mashonaland board reject to the use of the phrase "divisional strugglers", stating that although they don't have many star names they do infact have a squad to be recconed with.

So NER :P:P:P
thats a phrase you are going to have to get use to rik, on the plus side you may end up getting the first draft pcik for season 4.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
NORTHERN DISTRICTS

It’s hard for anyone looking at this ND side to see how they could challenge in either competition this year. Despite picking up some good quality players in Hauritz, Afridi, Vaughan and Ntini, they still look as though they are little behind their opponents..
Manager Megan Gaukroger will be looking to keep the boys out of the relegation zone, and keep improving the side.
There biggest chance is in the 4 Day game but they will need to have their batting on song to challenge.
Stephen Fleming holds the key, he has the ability to hold the innings together and can score big.
Player to Watch Out For: Shahid Afridi dissapointed at Worcestershire, but since moving to ND, he seems to have found a new lease of life.. Afridi will be looked upon not only to do well with the ball, but to score plenty of runs.

WORCESTERSHIRE

Worcestershire have had trouble keeping a manager since the departure of Simon Fitzsimmons back to ACT, and at this stage they look as though they will begin the season without one. Worcestershire have always looked the goods on paper and this season is no different with plenty of quality players across the park. Worcester have been very active in the transfer market recently with Badani, Scott, Pipe and Razzaq all departing in the last week, with Akhil, Nichol, Wharf and Ramesh. The difference this season than previous is that there bowlers look much more capable. Wilcox, Alexander, Anderson, Boje and Wharf all have good wicket taking ability. Worcester this season will challenge in both forms of the game, but their best chance for a title is in the longer version of the game.
Player to Watch Out For: Grant Flower will play yet another big role in the Worcester challenge. He gives them an extra dimension with his ability to bowl good off spin, and if he can get both parts of his game going then it allows Worcs to play an extra batsman.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
WARWICKSHIRE

Manager Kurt Christensen has built this team up very well.They have a blend of youth and experience which will stand them in good stead for not only this season but in seasons to come.. The Warwickshire faithful are all excited about the upcoming season, with a host of new players to go along with their newly built Stadium…
The club will take on Division 3 in both forms of the game this season, and in speaking to manager “Muzza” he is confident that his team can challenge for the title.
They have a strong batting line-up which is headed by S.Sriram who has been in good touch during the pre-season. Whilst in the bowling department they have the likes of Hasnain, Ealham, Kaneria, Giles, Adams and Lawson to lead the way.. I think The Warwickshire charge could begin this season, look for them to be in the promotion zone, come seasons end
Player to Watch Out For: The big news out of the club is the impressive form of rookies D.Howarth and B.Gregson. Both come to the top grade with high expectations and if both perform up to expectations, Warwickshire could be receiving their 1st piece of silverware…

TASMANIA

Tasmania have had more people go through their doors in the past 2 seasons than Madonna has had ………..(Ahem)
Anyway this team looks to be the best of the bunch so far, thus enforcing their favouritism in the Division 3 4 Day league. Manager Richard Langley has built this team from the ground and the success looks very close. The batting looks powerful with Hills, Anwar and Rudolph joined this season by Midlane, Knight and the return of Clingeleffer.
They also have an extremely strong bowling attack which boasts names like Muralitharan, Gillespie, Akram, Kulkarni and Powell. This side looks strong and if Langley can get the “Panda’s” to fire then another trophy could well be moving to the shores of Oz.
Player to Watch Out For: Muttiah Muralitharan was their big season 2 signing but was a little below his well known best. After a season settling in, I am predicting that Season 3 will be the beginning of his illustrious WCC career.. Murali could spin Tassie to a title..

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Blewy said:
NORTHERN DISTRICTS

It’s hard for anyone looking at this ND side to see how they could challenge in either competition this year. Despite picking up some good quality players in Hauritz, Afridi, Vaughan and Ntini, they still look as though they are little behind their opponents..
Manager Megan Gaukroger will be looking to keep the boys out of the relegation zone, and keep improving the side.
There biggest chance is in the 4 Day game but they will need to have their batting on song to challenge.
Stephen Fleming holds the key, he has the ability to hold the innings together and can score big.
Player to Watch Out For: Shahid Afridi dissapointed at Worcestershire, but since moving to ND, he seems to have found a new lease of life.. Afridi will be looked upon not only to do well with the ball, but to score plenty of runs.
Thanks for the vote of confidence there mate!! :P

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Blewy said:
NORTHERN DISTRICTS

Thanks for the vote of confidence there mate!! :P

nibbs

International Captain
Blewy said:
Warwickshire could be receiving their 1st piece of silverware…

I will try my best not to let this go to my head, but with my new bowling attack, I'm believe the Division Three Four Day trophy may be making its way to Warwickshire.

I have my doubts about the VB Cup and the one day sides of things though. In division three one day I don't think I'll be able to match the likes of Karnataka, but second place is always a possibility and then a promotion-relegation match. Who knows what the outcome may be?