• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Its time to get rid of the All Star Series...

nibbs

International Captain
I must say I thought that the end of season All Star tournament was lame. Although I was sent results by Rich I never took any notice of them. I new have a suggestion which would replace this:

Replace it with an International Knock Out Tournament. From the players currently in WCC we could put together some national squads, and have some sort of ICC Trophy (needs a new name obviously). I thinks its great idea compared to the All Star series. Its just an idea, but I hope the consider it further. Surely the Poms would want to see how England is going, as would the Aussies want to see how Australia goes. Each nation would be assigned a manager...

Give some thought GB, Rich...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And how do the squads get selected, and who is selected to manage who?

The All Star allows that since it's representative of something.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Nah that doesnt sound that good

ive got another idea

Get 2 teams from each division ( total up the teams to whatever so it works out well for knockouts etc )

the 1st team has 11 top players from eg say div 1 and the 2nd team is also from div 1 and has the next top 11 players

we get 2 teams from each division put them all in one table , assign managers for the teams , so we can have heaps of managers playing in and then have a round robin and then knockouts etc semis etc

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm...Lord that's not such a bad idea. I can't wait for Div 5 to have their own team and see some of my players in it 8D

I didn't pay much attention to the All Star as it doesn't mean anything to me as I'm a newbie.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yea mate hope u enjoy it , its awesome when u get going, the highs and lows of managing the club team

So ppl check my idea out thanks cause i too think it should be given a though about of

Graham

3rd Umpire
Whatever end of season competition there is, the main problem is that only a few managers are involved while everybody else as to sit around twiddling their thumbs. Therefore such a competition needs to be quick and painless so that people don't lose interest.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I agree with Graham - Reuben's 10-team round robin idea will create 9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 = 45 games for starters. We'd all get bored.

Re: National Sides. I like it as an idea - It wouldn't be too much to assign nationalities (okay, we'd just end up with Eng-SA-Aus-WI-Ind-Rest) but I think it would be excellent.

I'm up for creating a nation generator/modified rookie generator.

deckard

U19 Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I agree with Graham - Reuben's 10-team round robin idea will create 9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 = 45 games for starters. We'd all get bored.

Re: National Sides. I like it as an idea - It wouldn't be too much to assign nationalities (okay, we'd just end up with Eng-SA-Aus-WI-Ind-Rest) but I think it would be excellent.

I'm up for creating a nation generator/modified rookie generator.
That national sides idea sounds interesting. I think the best way to assign nationalities to the rookies would be according to the club which they first play for. My only concern would be that the teams may not be even in the depth of players with there being like 10 English sides and only 2 Indian sides. Maybe 2 English sides, 1 for Aust, 1 for NZ, 1 for WI, 1 for Africa, and 1 for India/Pak/SL.

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
deckard said:
That national sides idea sounds interesting. I think the best way to assign nationalities to the rookies would be according to the club which they first play for. My only concern would be that the teams may not be even in the depth of players with there being like 10 English sides and only 2 Indian sides. Maybe 2 English sides, 1 for Aust, 1 for NZ, 1 for WI, 1 for Africa, and 1 for India/Pak/SL.
There are many indian players so i dont think there will be any problem to pick 11 of them.

Rich2001

International Captain
Well.... thanks a lot guys, nice to see where I stand :rolleyes:

About a month ago I spoke to GB about alternatives to the All Star series, and GB was happy with what you all, decided... So I put forward a couple of ideas about brining Internation teams to the game, either the same as stated in this thread or real life teams.

To replace this season's All Star series and NOT ONE OF YOU gave me any positive feedback, I had every negative reason under the sun, why it shouldn't happen... Yet just a few weeks later you all love the same idea put forward by someone else.

Last edited:

nibbs

International Captain
Rich2001 said:
Well.... thanks a lot guys, nice to see where I stand :rolleyes:

About a month ago I spoke to GB about alternatives to the All Star series, and GB was happy with what you all, decided... So I put forward a couple of ideas about brining Internation teams to the game, either the same as stated in this thread or real life teams.

To replace this season's All Star series and NOT ONE OF YOU gave me any positive feedback, I had every negative reason under the sun, why it shouldn't happen... Yet just a few weeks later you all love the same idea put forward by someone else.
hhmmmmmmm... This would be an end of season tournament that wouldn't affect anyones clubs during the season, just the like the allstar series.

If I recall correctly, your proposal meant at certain points of the season, we would lose our star players, when we might need them most.

You see, in my eyes the All Star series was incredibly boring. Perhaps an international end of season tournament, might get everyone in a patriotic mood, meaning more of a following? Who knows?

Rich2001

International Captain
Muzza said:
You see, in my eyes the All Star series was incredibly boring. Perhaps an international end of season tournament, might get everyone in a patriotic mood, meaning more of a following? Who knows?
I think I made a couple of suggestions, but it doesn't matter now anyway.

BUT

Iam completly baffled by this all to be honest, and would love an answer if someone is capble of working it out.

WHY / HOW does it make any difference???? I mean the All Star series is supporting your division, a collection of players from various place coming togeter, it's excatly the same yet you would all support this and not the All Star series? WHY I mean only one person can manage the International side afterall so it's an identical setup, is it not?

I just don't get how people can like the some thing, yet hate the same thing, anyone wish to try and explain it to me???

OH and one reason my idea didn't get of the ground was due to the reason, It's World Club Cricket not international cricket, as stated by a few managers?

This isn't having a go at anyone, just want an explaintion of it all that's all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And by now you should have explained the above, so now I want something else explained, What is wrong with the All Star Series? Your all quick to jump on the "the AS series is a waste of time, pointless etc etc" So give the Board actual reasons, specific points, I don't like this or that and WHY, I haven't heard a decent agrument why it's so rubbish.

Also this post is so damn nagative, feel free to add reasons why you support the AS series etc what parts do you like? why? It will be good to see where all the differences lay.

If you don't fancy posting your reasons here, because everyone is being nagative and you don't want to look the odd one out, feel free to e-mail me (or MSN messenger)

E-Mail Me

Cloete

International Captain
well i think an international series would be a gr8 idea. may-b a world cup?? because at the moment the All Syar series is boring and also i dis-like the format. Of course the players would have to be picked from WCC. wat u could do is, EVery season get each team to have a 1 off test against each otehr. and the may-b also an od comp. while WCC is still going, but u can't select players picked for international duty. I think it'd be gr8. Darden smashing India home against a spirited england bowling side:). if this does go ahead could i manager Australia :):) or South Africa :):)