• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final Round 1 day match reports + Are you happy with your team's 1 day Performance

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
WP vs Canterbury

Jacques Kallis went out to toss in WP pyjamas for the last time this round as WP faced up to Canterbury. Upon winning the toss he decided to bat and Gibbs and Kirsten also in their final time as WP pyjama men were keen to excite. Gary Kirsten however was caught crying and as a result didn't see a delivery properly and was out second ball. WP were behind the 8 ball at 1/0. Graham Smith also in his las pyjama game for the club and by far WP's best bat this season went on the attack and held together the top order while he lost partners at the other end. WP were 3-69 when star all rounder J Kallis joined his partner in what was a do or die affair. The pair took the score to 4-230 at better than a run a ball. Smith then got out and started crying so Kallis decided he better get out so he could go comfort his partner. Oh well it was then up to the last few and they smashed the ball to buggery. Ackermann made 55 off 51 and the only normal thing about the WP innnings was Mullaly's duck (Mullaly's duck count = 8). At the end of the 50 overs WP were 8-327 so manager Slats4ever bought a keg for the players at tea because he decided it was ok to be drunk when they're kicking that much arse.

Canterbury's innings never really got much momentum and they never really looked like being in with a show. 2 wickets a piece to Willoughby, Akhtar, Telemachus and Smith meant that they were reduced to 264 with Chanderpaul's 68 off 68 being the highlight.

-My feelings on WP's year.
Since taking over the side in both forms of the game, I have mainly concentrated on the one day form. I felt that this is where we had our best chance to finish high and we did. Not losing a game since I have been here is a real highlight and to finish off in this emphatic fashion was great. I believe that this WP side is equal to Karnataka and Colts and we rightfully finished up their with them and have built a strong platform for next year. With some new recruits and stars, all is looking bright for WP 2003 OD campaign.
WP OD player of the year.
G Smith
we'll miss ya smithy

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
MIGHTY COLTS - Div 3 undeafteted champions

in the last game of the season the colts went out knowing that we had to win to win the season after Karna's win over auckland.

We lost the toss and were sent it on apitch that looked like it would do abit early, and that theory was correct, with us losing shewag and arunkumar early for 12 and 10 respectivley, anderson set about rebuilding the innings with sharath until he was dismissed for 22, singh and katchin followed hiim back for 4 each, kenwya completeed 55 from 59 and along wityh a heroic 157* from SHarath lead the colts to 6/276 with Tassie superstars Murilitheran (10 overs 1/81) and Gillespie (10 overs 2/64) taken apart

The tassie innings was in eary troubl;e and never looked up after they lost Cox, anwar and roudloph early and the rest of the order failed execpt for Di Venuto and Hughes who scored 30 and 89 respectiveley

shewag was the best of the bowlers clamiming teh tail fowith 4-21

SEASON
well after an upset win in teh first round we never looked back, Wereraratne, Noffke, Upshantha all performed well with the ball and Anderson, shaarath and singh mastereed teh attakc swith the bat, more wiull be written at the end of the season

Player of the OD season W Anderson - his hundred got us over Karna which ended up winning the season for us

nibbs

International Captain
Warwickshire were beaten by Victoria by seven wickets.

Sent into bat Warwickshire had a bad start. Jayasuriya and Fernando in their final one day game for the club, went early. Penney (53 off 46) and Manjrekar (51 off 61) however batted brilliantly, adding 96 at a run a ball. However their dismissals brought on a huge collapse has Warwickshire lost 39/8 ending all out for 151 in only 31 overs.

Victoria barely raised a sweat in makingh 154/3 in 34 overs. Giles took 2 wickets.

SEASON

The one day season was a big disapointment for Warwickshire fans. We were on the end three hidings to Worcestershire, Hampshire and Victoria. Then could of beaten high flying Kent and Surrey, only to seize up and lose. Consective victories were scored over ND and Glamorgan. The thrashing of ND, a big highlight. But all in all, we were let down by poor batting, time and time again.

We would like to thank, Shaun Pollock, Mark Wagh, Sanath Fernando, Sanath Jayasuriya, Matthew Bulbeck and Trevor Penney for their contributions to the Warwickshire team. They leave for Karachi, Somerset and Auckland. We wish them well in future.

Division Three awaits us in season three. Aparently we've been demoted, although it hardly feels that way. I've was expecting to go down to division three, because the chances of my lads making the top three just weren't there. We have recruited well thus far and next season opponents had better watch out! Our opponents will be:

- Karnataka
- Western Province
- Glamorgan
- Worcestershire
- Hampshire

I am confident we'll be able to foot it with these sides and possibly even Karnataka. Promotion is the goal at the moment its achievable.

Bring on season three :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Qld finished its one day campaign with a win over Yorkshire. Qld batted first and got to 5/286. Hayden 59, Love 85 and Bichel 66* were the stars.

In reply Yorkshire could only manage 5/250. Richardson 108 and W Tendulkar 90* played well but it wasn't enough. Bichel also bowled well getting 2/28 off his 10 overs.

Obviously Qld had a great one day season taking out the trophy after losing only one game. Hayden and Maher were the best with the bat while Hopes, Sheriyar, Flintoff and Bichel all bowled well. The bowling rather the batting won us the trophy.

It will be a hard decision as to who to dump. There are a couple of certainties but some tough decisions ahead.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
nsw poor showing in one day this year

bugs malone very dissapointed with the nsw blues performance this season.

final oneday match report

with so much to loose and gain for both sides, lancs and nsw where fighting it out to stay in div 1, and both teams knew thay had to perform to take the 2 points and see what lay ahead. nsw batting first really needed a bis score and then where needed to roll lancs cheaply to stay up in div 1 on a better net run rate. c richards was the star with the abt with a solid 126 (133) and really stating his point as to why he should be kept in the blues outfit for season 3.m bevan and b lara also batted wel with bevan making 74(76) and lara 54(52). m waugh also chipped in in his final one day game for the club and nsw would build up a respectable score of 4 - 306 (50). with nsw going in a bolwer short it was going to be tough for the part timers to chip in and keep lancs to a low score if possible.

all the lancs bowlers taking punishment.

well the scene was set. nsw would need to win and then get a better run rate so that they would survive relegation. the start for the blues couldnt have been any better with lancashire 1 - 0 and 2 - 29 but then some good batting by a swann 120 (107) and J.Madanagopal 61*(93) saw lancs fall just 4 short of the win. they would finish 5 - 303 and give nsw the 2 points but to no avail for the blues as lancs would have the higher nrr and push the blues out of div 1. what a shock last years runenrs up in div 1 and last years vb cup tittle winners relegated to div 2. most of the nsw bolwers taking a bit of a hammering with mcgrath picking up 2 - 55 of 10 with 2 maidens.

so nsw get the 2 points but relegation due to a lesser net run rate than the other 3 teams who also finished on 8 points.

we interviewed bugs malone on his thoughts of his one day campaign.

yer look obviously dissapointed, we got of to such a strong start and i think after 3 games we where ontop and looking strong. a few poor performances and then before u know it your close to relegation. look thats how tuff 1st div is and with 4 teams all level on 8 points and for it to come down to net run rate to finalise the positions it shows how good the comp really is. well done qld who pipped us at the post last season. another solid performance. look we still have the 4day comp where we are in 2nd spot so look its just another chapter for the club and we will be back in div 1 next season. we have alot of very good signings and with the draft coming up could be very ineteresting. yer we have let go of a few players, bigger money and better offers but we have some good signings and have been speaking to those players and they are keen to get over here and put in a solid season. kallis, kirsten and cairns are all very keen.

obviously dissapointing but as true fighters we will be back, and we still have the 4day comp.

its also mark waughs final game for the club before he becomes junior development officer for the club so we are wanting to give him a big finish.

thanks

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't seen my score card for my OD Friendly against Jamaica but since Rich said I lost again I can safely say I am annoyed that my team doesn't seem to understand the need to score more than 200 in 50 overs...this is OD cricket, not 4D cricket!:!( :!( :!(

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
Warwickshire v Victoria

Well as mentioned above by Muzza, the bushrangers barely raised a sweat taking Warwickshire to the cleaners. With big Timmy Welsford firing up, and taking 4 wickets, pushing him into one of my top 10 players. Tim was supported well by Mike Lewis who took 2/8 of 4. When it came our turn to bat, Captain Elliot saw us to flyer, with his 40 off just 34 balls. At the loss of Elliot, Harvey and Sangakarra put on 72 runs, and despite from late heroics from Ashley Giles, the result was evitable.

The One-Day Season in review</B>

Well first off, being in the same division of Kent and Surrey certainly did not help Victoria, those two sides are very well rounded, whereas my bushrangers are very reliant on our batting.

Listed below are the Victorian Players, and a rating for each:

M.Elliott – 10/10 made over 300 runs, including an 155.
K.Sangakarra – 9/10 made over 300 runs too, but had 4 50s, and no 100s
I.Harvey – 10/10 a match winning player who was only dismissed 3 times, and took 14 wickets.
M.Mott – 2/10 had plenty of chances, and failed to take them.
J.Arnberger – 0/10 not really a one-day player at all.
B.Hodge – 4/10 did not get many chances.
T.Welsford – 9/10 really started to mature as a bowler.
M.Lewis – 1/10 finally started to play well in the last game, a real disappointment
C.White – 4/10 with best figures of 2/0 this kid can be happy with this season.
M.Clarke – 8/10 probably the best of the rest, in terms of batting.
M.Klinger – 2/10 once again plenty of chances, zero return.
I.Hewitt – 5/10 a good back-up bowler that had his moments.
J.Schofield - 0/10 did not play
D.Berry – 0/10 did not play
S.Dart – 1/10 once again plenty of chances, zero return
D.Leatherdale – 2/10 really played well in 1st class, just could not put it together in the one day games. Victoria will miss him though.

Looking over that Victoria had it’s top 3 which were amazing, and then the other just did not make the most of their chances. Make no mistake the Bushrangers are a good one-day side, hell we even beat Kent, and if we add a wicket taking bowler to our line-up we will even better.