• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CA Cup Version 3 - Theories ONLY!

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
The CA Cup / VB Cup has to be changed...

I'm sorry but it is a must!

We now have 30 teams... right?

Right!

To have a typical Knockout it has to be two the power of x. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64...etc.

So we have a number of options...

Here are my theories...

SCRAP it - Not really.

Create two teams like retired players, coming back for a go (Like big Merv.) Then we have 32 so woohoo!

Have 6 groups of 5. Each team play the other ones in its group once at a neutral venue. Top 2 go on...
So we have 12 teams still in...

Two groups of 6 (Or 4 groups of 3) same deal. Top two go through, (Top in each group)

WELL, they are my ideas (pretty poor) but i'll try and think up other ways...

POST HERE your THEORIES.

Not your views, THEORIES!

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
1.We can have 6 groups of 5 each.Each other play once.
2.The top in every group moves ahead ie we have 6 teams.
3.Team1 vs Team2,Team3 vs Team4,Team5 vs Team 6.The three winners move ahead.
4.All three play each other once.The one who is top wins the cup.So in the end there are three teams who can win the cup and not just 2.

Now 4 weeks will be required for group stages.Then 1 week for moving from 6 to 3.The triangular between 3 teams can be done on the same week.So in total 6 weeks for the whole tournament.This season ca cup is taking 5 weeks so next season only one week extra ie 6 weeks in total.The length of the season is also not increased much and all the teams are in the hunt for the cup a bit longer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
An extra 6 weeks in addition to the already extra 6 weeks due to all playing all twice.

The cup already has it's lay-out for next year, knock-out as before, and will only take 6 weeks I believe.

The idea of the cup has always been it's a knockout to contrast the leagues, and groups were discussed but rejected due to that fact.

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
try and work it out marc 30 teams-15 teams then 15 teams - 7.5 teams that should be fun to see half a team get throu

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
the whole point ofthe ca cup is to be a fun knockout comp. if we play each other once and so on it will just take too long and theres no point as we have the one day format anyway.

knockout is the way to go.

probably the 2 finalists from this year will get a automatic step to round 2

nibbs

International Captain
The only thing I'd like to see happen with the CA Cup is changing it back to a 20 over match, (was there a reason for the change to 25?). The reason for this is because I was told that this cup was for the lower teams to take on the top teams or something like that. Any how if the weaker sides are too have a chance wouldn't it be best if the games were kept to 20. The longer the game the better chance the stronger sides have taking controll. Just a suggestion...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Umpire Money said:
try and work it out marc 30 teams-15 teams then 15 teams - 7.5 teams that should be fun to see half a team get throu
Already have:

4 enter in prelim round (normally worst 4 in Div 5, for this year, that will be sorted somehow)
22 enter in Round 1.
4 get byes to Round 2 (semi finalist's from previous year)