• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think Next Season we should be able to Trade for Draft Picks?

Should we be able to trade for draft picks next season?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
Everyone has an opinion on it and i think its tough.

gave more options
but was more confusing

now there are unbeatable teams and teams that have no chance because they dont know how to trade.

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
I think this should not be allowed but trade of unequal no of players should be allowed.

Last season many teams had 3 to 4 1st round picks so they became very strong.So this should not be allowed but trading unequal no of players does not makes a difference and give the managers options.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
I had the most first round picks last season, and gee it made me top of the ladder this season!

I had 3 first round picks and then the first in the second round. I picked up some good players and it didn't change the fact that my team is average.

Rich2001

International Captain
Paid The Umpire said:
I had the most first round picks last season, and gee it made me top of the ladder this season!

I had 3 first round picks and then the first in the second round. I picked up some good players and it didn't change the fact that my team is average.
Paid I don't wish to sound unfair, but that was your own fault... you insited on signing Murli from about mid way through the season, when there where many many better players, Ie Allen, Darden, Stratton, Graham etc etc + I recall although you had many first round picks alot were very low in the order - Ie you took Leic (new team - therefore last picks)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aditya said:
I think this should not be allowed but trade of unequal no of players should be allowed.

Last season many teams had 3 to 4 1st round picks so they became very strong.So this should not be allowed but trading unequal no of players does not makes a difference and give the managers options.
And trading 4 donkey's for one good player is fair how exactly?

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
And trading 4 donkey's for one good player is fair how exactly?
If the other manager is willing then only this type of trade can take place.So there is nothing unfair in it.I am not saying 4 for 1.It can be 2 good player for a better one.

nibbs

International Captain
Trading of picks is a bad thing. At the end of the day, it allows the stronger teams to take advantage of weaker sides, it will happen, I know this. At the end of the day the stronger team will get stronger using this tactic and a gap will divide. Trading of picks is stupid.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I think you should be allowed to trade One player for 3-4 crap players if you want to.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
you should be able to trade whatever you want, Draft picks and players, uneven or even in number as long as you end up with 16 players for the season

it should be up to the manager wetther they want to trade players like that

Rich2001

International Captain
But trading of draft picks wont bring the gap down, currently the stronger teams will just run away with it, they will be able to fool smaller sides into tradings.

Why?

I'll take NSW/Mashonaland as an example

Because say Mash' had the number 1 pick in the 1st round, NSW could turn around and say I'll give you B.Lara for that 1st pick.... To Mash it looks a blinder of a deal... one of NSW best players for a single pick, however NSW fully know that in the draft there will be loads of players alot better than Lara and will get to pick who he likes.... Baically what iam trying to say is that only the current strong teams can afford to buy the 1st round picks which in turn will bring the best players like the Darden's + Allen's etc

Also just the fact that it gets so confusing trying to work out who's got what, last season with a day to go until cut off myself and GB had to try and rescue Hamps and ND who somehow ened up with 9 and 11 DP's, They were forced to just do pointless deals to try and get rid of them. Also how do you value a DP? IMO there's only one player at Mumbai that I would even get out of bed to talk business with a first round pick.

The un-equal trades isn't so much of a problem and a hell of a lot of managers are already doing it to me in this period, ie Allen + 2 pants players for ????, ????? and ?????

In the end you will have to throw away players if it's 12 or 2 your still end up with 10, and if you allowed your sqaud to get so big then it's a problem you have to overcome and try to work out who your best 10 actually are.....

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
I fully agree on this.I have also made the same point in the other thread about unequal player trade.

Trading of unequal players should be allowed as it gives more options to the managers and to a certain extent allows a week team to develop.Consider an eg of TN.If they trade one of their very good player for 3 good players then their team will be better balanced and will become less weak.

But trading of DPs should not be allowed as it further weakens the weak team as they trade their DPs to a good team for a good players as mentioned above by Rich.By trading of DPs the good teams get a chance to exploit the weak team.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey Rich don't use me as an example! I wouldn't trade my best players or a draft pick if my life depended on it! Also I have contacts who know who is good and who is rubbish and weather I'm getting a good or bad deal! So I'm no clueless newbie 8D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
you should be able to trade whatever you want, Draft picks and players, uneven or even in number as long as you end up with 16 players for the season
The problem is that some people won't make any effort to end with 16 if that's allowed.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Some people might end up with 9 players after trading several to get a better player...then how are we going to get that up to 10? An extra draft pick? No not fair...random rookie? Nope not fair either...

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
Last season nothing happened like that.If it happens then that player should be penalised.But when we have to retain 10 then all the managers have it in mind while trading.I dont know if u both trade having all the rules in mind otherwise u would have not raised this point.Sorry if i am getting personal.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But last year the rules did have to be modified to allow people to retain more than was originally planned.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Stop arguing...

Look the trading of draft picks is an ecentual (spelling). If you can't trade picks then the only loser, is the competition.

I picked Murlie as I needed a spinner even though he wasn't the best to choose, I stand by that, no matter who I chose (spelling again) someone would say that it was a bad choice.

Can you think of a sport that doesn't allow draft picks trades?

Hell, NO!

Let me take a real life example, GRIDIRON. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers (spelling) traded away FOUR draft picks for the Oakland Raiders coach! So what happened next, they won the Superbowl.

You can't say that it ruins the competition, by trading teams can win and lose the competition, so let them.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah thats right, while increasing the competition we must balance this off and be a little more realistic - like gridiorn or AFL you should be able o do whatever yuu want as coach, to your benifit or detriment

Rich2001

International Captain
Paid The Umpire said:
Can you think of a sport that doesn't allow draft picks trades?

Hell, NO!
Well the obivious one is Cricket!!!!

Then there's Football, Darts, Swimming, Tennis, Motor Racing, Table Tennis, Badminton, Netball, Skiing, Rugby, Chess, Fishing, Rowing and Yachting,

(Thanks James for your assistance)

Oh ok a few silly ones managed somehow to get in their but your getting the idea.