• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shortening the Season - Thoughts?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nothing has been decided and I want to get a basic reaction to a plan to shorten this season. A suggested plan is to have two more rounds of each form so we finish with 13 OD games and 14 FC games. There are several reasons for this ideal the biggest being the complications with the ITC. Since ive gotten the new computer the problems are well known and people arent always getting the teams they pick. ITC not saving changes to the database means players cant be moved from squads and I feel like im ripping people off when they dont get the side they pick. I dont feel so bad about shortening the seasons because the titles look fairly well secure at this stage for the sides that are currently on top. This will also benefit us because the season will then be finished before the Holiday period, that way the off season wont be disrupted because i can get a lot done in this time.

From my own point of view im basically losing my chance of winning the FC title but as CEO of WCC i think its in the best interests of the game to get this through. Im not neccesarily going to send this to a simple yes or no vote but would like to hear the opinion of all the managers and then the board and other senior wcc members will be invited to discuss the decision. I'd like this sorted ASAP as well...
cheers
Si

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Im all for the Longer Seasons, However knowing the situation with ITC i think its probably best to cut the season short rather then continue on with an inferior sim...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO the season does seem to be dragging on a little. I liked the 10 rounds of each form. Perhaps for next season we could have something like 10 rounds, with a semi final and final where in the semi final the top teams the lower team has to defeat the other outright to make the finals and have those that don't make the final play in demotion play offs. That way you could have 12 rounds with 10 regular season rounds with a semi final and final.

ash chaulk

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
IMO the season does seem to be dragging on a little. I liked the 10 rounds of each form. Perhaps for next season we could have something like 10 rounds, with a semi final and final where in the semi final the top teams the lower team has to defeat the other outright to make the finals and have those that don't make the final play in demotion play offs. That way you could have 12 rounds with 10 regular season rounds with a semi final and final.
yeah i agree with everythink said

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
From a personally point of view i think Div 3 is pretty close and its not really fair on the other team if they have less chance to win or get a promotion spot because there is a couple less rounds.

But overall this season has dragged on and it would nice to finish it sooner then later. In the future 10 rounds each form is probably the way to go. I have to admitt i've lost interest after a while. Its seems like we are just going through the motions.

I like the idea of a semis and final for Div One. Beacuse we got pretty no chance to win D1, i was going to start playing 2nd XIs, cus there isn't an advantage coming 2nd. Maybe a personal thing to finish ahead of the Vics and TN. I think in the other Divs playoff are enough.

cometer

State Regular
I'm not really fussed how long or short the season is, but if ITC is causing issues then I'm quite happy to cut the season short if that is what is best for WCC.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
cometer said:
I'm not really fussed how long or short the season is, but if ITC is causing issues then I'm quite happy to cut the season short if that is what is best for WCC.
What he said.

cricketboy29

International Regular
I don't think I quite like the ideas of a semi and final for league. I think that we have a cW bar cup, and thats where that should be. We should just have league matches, but actually even i do feel that this season has been dragging on a tad.

Don't get me wrong though , its been good fun, especially in OD:D.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I vote for ending the season shortley. Two reasons which have already been mentioned which is the interest level and ITC stuffing up. In the future I would like us to revert back to 10 rounds, because if you look at the team and match report/announcement thread, there's been a decline since about round 9 and 10.

If, after next season has ended, people think it's over too quickly, we could have a second tournament post-season.

This year I'll be doing the Hamilton trophy, as usual...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
so far it seems to be in favour of shortening it, i do want this decided soon but ill give more time for some others who might want to have their say...

Matteh

I think with ITC starting to mess around it would be better to curtail the season.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I must say, im not for Shortening the season permanently... I think the Division 1 comp this season has been great with the more teams and to shorten the season would mean that the D1 comp would have to shrink back down, which IMO would be a step backwards...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Blewy said:
I must say, im not for Shortening the season permanently... I think the Division 1 comp this season has been great with the more teams and to shorten the season would mean that the D1 comp would have to shrink back down, which IMO would be a step backwards...
It doesn't have to be, you can have 10 teams and they play each other once, 9 rounds, with a semi and final at the end of the season, so they go for 11 weeks like everyone else.

But IMO 10 teams is too many for Div One in OD, there were a lot of teams that aren't really good enough to be in Div 1, that made it. FC it works beacause there is greater depth.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
It doesn't have to be, you can have 10 teams and they play each other once, 9 rounds, with a semi and final at the end of the season, so they go for 11 weeks like everyone else.

But IMO 10 teams is too many for Div One in OD, there were a lot of teams that aren't really good enough to be in Div 1, that made it. FC it works beacause there is greater depth.
I dont agree with only playing each team once... Doesnt allow really for 1 bad round as it could destroy your chances... Especially if your a top side and lose against a fellow top team your chance could be gone in 1 round...

Mister Wright

18 rounds is far too long. It's what 36 weeks plus one play off week to make 37 in total. That's almost a full year. It's great if you've got a middle range team where the results each week are of interest, but if you're winning each week or losing each week the season can get a bit tedious.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I think the season is too long. ITC is causing problems (it's sent Haddin's average back to 1) and it's not right for WCC.