• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**4 Day Points System**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's what i think needs to happen...I have decided to abandon the Bonus Point system for this season(at least until we can come up with a fair system)

We have the 2 options...

1/ Grahams Idea...
10 Points for an outright win
5 Points for a Draw
1 Bonus Point for a 1st inns lead
0 Points for a loss

2/ My Idea
10 for outright win
4 for 1st inns win
2 for 1st inns loss
3 for tie/no result
0 for outright loss

I will make a poll and give a day or 2 for opinions to be made and then the decision will be made...
It is a tough situation and the only reason it has come to this is because the VC4 points system is very erratic...

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
i like both except there is no benefit for winning

maybe blewys theory but with 6 points for 1st innings win

[Edited on 14/05/2002 by bugssy]

Graham

3rd Umpire
What do you mean there's no benefit for winning!!!
Isn't 10 pts enough? (or 11 pts if you gain a first innings lead) :O

[Edited on 27/10/2002 by Graham]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
First Innings lead should not be rewarded in a match that the team wins - 10 points is enough, although I still like bonus points on a sliding scale!

I also think a first innings lead in a lost match deserves a little something.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I have decided to abandon the Bonus Point system for this season(at least until we can come up with a fair system)
I think you have to either adopt something or scrap it, can't change midway through the season! I'm coming round to the bonus points OR first Innings lead points idea, and in the long run I feel bonus points have to be utilised, otherwise you could have the following 2 scenarios:

Match 1 - Team A 600-4 dec. Team B 187 & 154.

Match 2 - Team B 325 & 298. Team A 314 & 308.

Both teams would end up with the same number of points here!

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
o.k with grahams theory , what happens if for example

nsw 5 - 500

south australia ao 499
2nd innings nsw 2 - 200

match drawn but nsw lead on 1st innings

both teams get 5 points and nsw get 1 extra point for leading on 1st inings

6 - 5 no real benefit

deckard

U19 Captain
I think the best system would be one with a set amount for each possible outcome like below:

Win with 1st innings win - 10
Win with 1st innings lost - 8
Win by an innings - 12
Loss with 1st innings win - 4
Loss with 1st innings loss - 2
Innings defeat - 0
Draw with 1st innings win - 6
Draw with 1st innings loss - 4
Draw with no 1st innings result - 5

The numbers may not be correct but its just the idea im suggesting

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
The best thing to do is to keep bonus points and cancel first innings win points.So this can be done.

10 pts for win
5 pts for draw/tie
0 pts for loss
Bonus pts on first innings.
batting 5
bowling 5
the criteria of getting them remains the same.

Graham

3rd Umpire
I don't think we'll ever reach a consensus agreement on this one GB. I suggest you just go with what you want without accepting further argument from anybody. Everybody will just have to accept your decision and 'like it or lump it.' You're the boss!:cool2:

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Graham
I don't think we'll ever reach a consensus agreement on this one GB. I suggest you just go with what you want without accepting further argument from anybody. Everybody will just have to accept your decision and 'like it or lump it.' You're the boss!:cool2:
I tend to agree with you here Graham, I still can't ready do all of the site update until I know what the tables etc look like...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Just give Surrey all the points awarded in every game in this round, that'll settle any arguments!

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
harse.
who cares instead of trying to save a game then you should try and lose it so some points are given.

everyone will be in the same boat so when there is a draw both teams will get 0 points.
im with paid the umpire.

Status
Not open for further replies.