• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 7 match team previews and match reports

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Post your team previews, match reports and anything else in this thread. This is for both First Class and One Day round 7 matches.

We expect at least 1 piece of writing from each manager...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Walker, Amla set to debut for Mashonaland

Mashonaland manager Andy Cameron today hinted at making several unexpected changes to the line-up of the Zimbabwean club's first class side. Cameron was at Yorkshire, where he had been watching his rookies in the 2nd XI beat Yorkshire in a one day game.

"We've been keeping a close eye on Vince Walker and Hashim Amla, both of whom are in good form. With Ben Straw expected to be out for another week, we're in need of an allrounder. While Travis, who we played last round, has been batting well enough, his bowling hasn't been that effective, and we feel Vince may offer that little bit more with the ball, while his batting is certainly going to help the lower order. Vince will actually be likely to replace young Abutahir Rizan, who's spin hasn't been as good as we'd hoped, while Amla will most likely be coming in for Travis."

This talk has been met with some head-scratching by those familar with the club, which has surprisingly been struggling in the longer form recently. Walker has in fact only played one game for the 2nd XI, which was last round, where he made 35 in his one innings and took two wickets for 98 over the two innings. Likewise, Amla, while being fairly consistent for the seconds, has yet to post a decent score.

Hashim Amla is one of the two likely debutants for Mashonaland this round

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Thomas rings in changes for Yorkshire
After watching the Yorks 2nd XI lose to Mashonaland, manager Greg Thomas announced the changes to the First Class side that will no doubt surprise some pundits.
First is the dropping of P Laker. The fast bowler had been the pick of the quicks for the opening rounds but of late has fallen off.
"He confided in me that's he been having a bit of problems at home, which has affected his playing. I was still undecided on whether I should drop him or give him another chance but after his reuqest I thought 'fair enough' and told him to take some time off and come back fresh and have a go in the seconds" he said, "In his place, Zahid Saeed gets a much deserved call up. he's been a real gun in the second XI and I think he'll be a great new ball partner with Evans."

Excellent form; Saeed is in the 1st XI for the match with Guyana.

Second is the dropping on P Marsden. Though no real surprise, as his form as been poor, it was his replacement that raised a few eyebrows.
"Fans were coming up to me in the streets telling me Yashpal should be in for Marsdy. There's no denying Yashpals been in great form in the seconds, and he was considered but Kripal Singh has been in better form and I don't know why a lot of people ignore" he said.
"I also think a lot of them tend to forget Yashpal's poor run in the one day side. I'm looking at a position change for him there, though. Number four doesn't seem to be the ideal position for him" he added.

Third is Dawn's move down the order, from the opening position to number five.
"Michael Dawn's move wasn't, actually, my idea. Michael approached me after the cup match and said he'd rather be down the order" he assured us.
"Watching him, he's been in touch in the nets and batting at number three in one day matches. He's had great success there so far this season so when he said he wanted to move down the order, I thought it'd be to number three. He surprised me by saying that 'Martin (Love) has been batting solidly at three and I don't want to disrupt him, Tendulkar's been on fire at four and Marsden's been dropped from the middle order, and I'd like to bat there to get a good feel for the innings'."
With the promotion of Kripal Singh - an opener - to the first XI, you would think he would be first choice for the openers slot.
"Not at all" says Thomas.
"Like I said, Kripal's in great form but he's just earned promotion. Lou (Vincent) has struggled a bit but I think that's due to batting so low. I don't think he really knows his role down the order so I'm giving him a shot at opening. Hopefully he'll do us proud over the next few matches but if not, we can always promote Kripal Singh, can't we?" he says with a wink.

Lou Vincent will open alongside Agnew.

Yorks 1st XI to take on Guyana (in batting order): K Agnew, L Vincent (wk), M Love, W Tendulkar, M Dawn (c), M Jayawardene, R Kripal Singh, R Silva, F Evans, Z Saeed, D Kaneria (vc).

cbuts

International Debutant
WA face 3 big weeks to round out the first half of the season. One of the big suprise packages of the year so far, WA are running third, with 2 wins and 4 draws so far this season. Manager Chris Butler seems happy with the start to the season "Our consistancy has been the key so far this year. we got off to 4 draws to start the season, and the boys got alot of confidence from that."

Despite winning the last two games, Butler has made one change to the line up, bringing in J Laney to replace Q Friend. "Laney has been in great form with the bat and deserves his chance, Friend is a quality player and im sure he will leave his mark on the 2nd XI this week"

WA face Warickshire, ACT and Tamil Nadu to round out the first half of the season. ACT and TN are the only two team ahead of WA on teh table. "its gonna be a great challenge for the boys of the next three weeks, three wins would probally take us to the top of the table, so there is plenty to play for"
WA line up to take on Warickshire: H KanitkarC, L Ronchi+, J Laney, D Thornley, M Beasley, I Pearson, Q Spenser, J Ryder, A Adams, H Jenkins, K Dean

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Trescothick Called Up
ACT Manager Simon Fitzsimmons has made several changes to his top of the table Comets team. Despite losing on one game this season opening pair Ed Howarth and Martin Phadke have both gotten the chop. Veteran Englishman Marcus Trescothick has gotten a surprise call up after some excellent performances in the seconds. Trescothick was not expecting to play much of a role in the first team this year but his great form added with the terrible performances of Phadke and Howarth has given him this chance.

Trescothick has been in great form

Ismail Tamhane will also make another appearance in the first team despite the all rounder struggling for the past few weeks. Tamhane will form part of a new look bowling line up which also includes Bangladesh spinning sensation Ahsanullah Hasan. Hasan has been one of the leading lights for the Second Eleven team and his elevation to the first team in front of fellow spinner George Goff surprised many even himself.

The full Comets side is:
AB De Villiers+, Marcus Trescothick, Ricky Ponting, Yashpal Singh, Misbah Ul Haq, Owen Cardew*, Ismail Tamhane, Ben Marshall, Ahsanullah Hasan, Dean Bent, Paul Marlowe.

tadeusz

State 12th Man
WA 2nd XI manager Thad Bochat continues to make changes to his team as he desparately tries to find a winning combination. The batting displays put on by the second side have been generally solid this season, but the bowlers have not been able to back them up, which goes a long way to explaining why they are winless and sitting second from bottom after 6 rounds. However, a win this week against bottom side Warwickshire, while not likely to move the team out of 9th spot, could well instill some confidence in the players, and see results begin to improve.

Of the three changes made, one has been forced. J Laney's recent good form has seen him promoted to the first side. The skills and first-team experience of the man he replaced, Q Friend, will be most welcome. M Vandort has been promoted to captain. The other two omissions are rookie paceman V Fernando and spinner W Quinn. C Blair and M Hossain Jr come in.

NZTailender

Long batting line up for Yorks 2nd's.
The Yorkshire 2nd XI has been bosted by Laker and Marsden who were dropped from the 1st XI earlier this week.
Manager Greg Thomas, taking over the seconds after Nick hancock transferred to the top job at kent, decided to play four bowlers as opposed to the five pronged attack setup Nick had been using.
"It was a good tactic but I want to try something different to counter the Guyana bowlers" he said.

Yorks 2nd XI
1. F Yashpal
2. P Marsden
3. K Davies
4. T Lyon
5. N Patel
6. G Belle (c)
7. W Beasley
8. B Foster (wk)
9. D Gough
10. P Laker
11. Y Arafat

cometer

State Regular
Leicestershire have announced a basic unchanged squad to this weeks match against Tamil Nadu. As far as the manager is concerned we just don't have the depth at the current stage to be able to chop and change and our 2nd XI haven't exactly been setting the competition on fire themselves. Thus, the manager has full faith in the current XI and expects them to at least be competitive against TN. There should not really be any pressure on the players considering TN at the beginning of the season were red hot favourites along with ACT and this game is again one in which will test just how far we've come. The manager has also been concerned with his own issues of informing the match officials of the team lineup, particularly in the one day form where there have been a few too many instances, and this is something that the manager will work on. He can't expect the players to perform well if he himself hasn't been performing well.

Thus coming into round 7 of the first class season the officials received the following lineup in which player of August, C Vaughan, will look to stake his claim yet again against the TN lineup.

T Marston, K Slater, E Sellars, F Platt, C Vaughan, C Rogers, I de Saram (wk),T Mughal, I Gallage (c), U Sammels, R Ezard.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Hampshire have made 2 changes to the squad that beat Warwickshire in the last FC round. E Drake who has shown inconsistency in his first class batting form this season, has been demoted in the hope of finding his form again. He had a good knock in his last OD match and hopefully continues an upward trend with regards to his batting.
S Newman takes Drake's place and moves up the order to number 4, after his steady form in the 2nd XI side.

Star spinner P Shelley out with injury for a week is being rested and Sri Lankan import C Gamage takes his place to bolster the pace attack after a lengthy period. He has been working hard 1 on 1 in the nets with the bowling coach to regain his confidence and attack, which made him a top bowler for Hampshire last season.

Hampshire hope for a good win against ACT to move up the ranks and continue on a winning form. Its going to be a very tough battle however. Looking forward to a thriller!

Hampshire in order of Batting Lineup.

R Prassanna, A Chopra, S Graham*, S Newman, S Pollard, +J Crawley, A Robben, A Best, N Hollins, C Gamage, L Jewell

:)

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
In what promises to be an interesting contest with Victoria, Tasmania announced one change to their XI. Given the axe was opener Graham Eaton, with Tom Rowell, who tops the Second XI averages replacing him.

Eaton has struggled with injuries this season, and has averaged just over 20 in his five matches. Rowell has averaged 44 in the Second XI, with a top score of 94. A reporter managed to catch up with Rowell at his apartment in Launceston. "It'll be nice to be back playing at this high level, to be honest I was a bit disappointed not to get a game sooner as I was a fixture in the side last season."

"It's been ok playing in the Seconds, I feel in good touch, but for me there's nothing like playing in the First XI against a top class bowler like Harwood."

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
All change for Surrey

Surrey manager Jamee Gray has made four changes from the last FC match for this week's match against Surrey.

Abdul Mohammed, Edgar Good, Tim Ambrose and Upul Chandana were all dropped, and Michael Dighton, John Arlott, William Denny and Kazam Raza have replaced them.

But possibly more controvertialy, Arafat Sunny, the teenage spinning sensation has been put up to Number 5, and the rumour going round is that Jamee Gray has selected him as a batsman who bowls, not as a number 8 that it was presumed he'd play as.

Sunny bludgeons the ball away to the boundary.

Jason Bennett keeps his place in the team

Surrey XI:

F Pandit*
M Dighton+
J Arlott
Z Keegan
A Sunny
W Denny
I Anjum
T Bradshaw
F Tully
K Raza
J Bennett

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
Victoria have made minimum changes with the return of Kale and Hodge.

The injured Kale returns straight the 1st XI, meanwhile the misbehavour of Hodge has seen him start in the 2nd XI this weekend, after he has served his ban from the club.

Playing Tasmania on the Devil Isl will be an experience, and one that off-spinner Guinness is looking forward to.

Mike Hussey has managed to hold his spot in the 1st, despite new of his retirement this week. Meanwhile other retiree Madanagopal will be removed from the 2nd XI, as he offer no future for the club, and would stop us providing every oppunity to Azharuddin.

Victoria will be very much looking for the win this week from both XIs.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Nsw make hasty changes

for there upcoming match against Karachi, nsw manager Bugs Malone has made 2 changes in the first xi side, as a much needed win is needed with only 1 win and 3 draws this season they really need to get the foot on the gas.

Flemming makes his way into the side after some solid performances in 2nds, also f khan sees himself back into the side. the unlucky to to make there way out of the 1st xi was V Sehwag and D Quale.

Sehwag had a quick press confrence telling news and radio crews that he will fight even harder to get back into the first xi side and said he holds no grudges against bugs Malone as he needs results and at the moment thats not what has been happening.

Bugs Malone was seen leaving training and heading off to hospital to see his new baby daughter in his 7 series bmw but said that he needs results however the board has stated his contract is in no danger and that the relationship between the club and management is fine.

Bugs malone just staed he was looking forward to the trip over in the morning and trying to get maximum points of karachi which wont be easy.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Queensland were more than happy to get their experienced opener Herschelle Gibbs back after being suspended vor discplinary reasons for 4 weeks. Gaurav Nayak gave a statement 'It's good to that is come back, he should be able to set us off to a steady start, and allow Tennison to move back into his no. 6 position'.

Other then that..There were no other changes in the Queensland team, apart from the captain forgetting to choose which side of the coin to bet on...

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Hampshire 2nd XI manager Eyes_Only has made minimal changes to the team that crushed Northens in the last round. Shelley is out with a damaged rotator cuff while Aldridge and Bond strengthen the bowling attack.

Eyes_Only spoke to reporters after leaving training and was reported as saying "Here's hoping we can continue our winning ways this week. It will be a tough match as always but I know the boys will be giving 100%."

When asked why the changes to the bowling attack, she replied: "We were one bowler short last week and even though we won by such a huge margin, I felt that by bringing Shane and Graham into the team, it would bolster the bowling and would add two experenced players to the mix."

Hampshire 2nd XI: S Highsmith, G Rahman, I Ul Haq (Capt), E Drake, S Qambrani, P Thompson, L Bassue, Z Exley, T Naidu (W/K), S Bond, G Aldridge

Last edited:

Simon

Comets Win Again to Stay Top

ACT Comets won their fifth first class match of the season to maintain top position in the division one competition. The Comets went into the clash with Hampshire as warm favourites and the new look team were very confident of a win.

After winning the toss and batting first Trescothick and De Villiers made a decent start before both fell with the score on 46. Star middle order batters Yashpal Singh and Ricky Ponting put on 143 for the 3rd wicket, Ponting was the first to go for an impressive 76 while Yashpal later went for a patient 65. Captain Owen Cardew returned to form with a swashbuckling 97 and was very unlucky not to score a century, all rounder Ismail Tamhane made 43 and helped the Comets post a competitive 394.

Ponting's 76 was a highlight of day One

Hampshire never got going in their reply as the Comets star quick men Paul Marlowe and Ben Marshall took two wickets each in their opening spell. In form S Graham lead a mini revival with Pollard, but a few quick wickets to spinners Tamhane and Hasan ruined any chance Hamps had of avoiding the follow on. Graham (84) was the only batsman to make any impact while the best of the bowlers for the Comets were Marlowe 4/28, I Tamhane 3/38 and Marshall 2/25. Hamps all out for 160.

Tamhane enjoyed his return to the first class game

Hampshire were asked to bat again and this time they improved their performance. Graham (77) and Chopra (40) gave the Comets bowlers some problems early but the star quick bowlers again got on top and contributed in giving the Comets a very easy chase. Marshall with 4/77 took his season tally to 31 wickets, one in front of Marlowe who took 3/63. Hasan and Tamhane also took a wicket as Hamps were all out for 298.

Trescothick and Ponting knocked off the 65 runs required for the win after De Villiers fell to a good one from Gamage.

Simon

ACT Name One Day Team

ACT Comets manager Simon Fitzsimmons today named his side to take on Leicestershire in England this weekend. The Foxes are highly fancied and Fitzsimmons has decided to make a few changes on the side that won last week.

Despite sitting second in the one day competition Fitzsimmons has been disappointed with several parts of the teams game, the bowling in particular has been poor with only young Ben Marshall having a reasonable season. For this reason Moeez Butt has been called into the first team for this debut WCC game, Butt has taken 8 wickets @ 23 in the 2nd XI this season and held off a strong challenge from fellow youngster Duncan Withe for his spot.

Moeez Butt will make his WCC debut

Quin Riley has also copped the axe this week, after a strong start to the season several below par performaces of late have cost him his spot. A slightly re-schuffled batting order will line up this week as a result, Alex Louden will move from four to the opening position while another youngster from the seconds Geoff Eaves will bat at number three. Star batsman Yashpal Singh will drop one spot down the order to his prefered number four position. Captain Owen Cardew who has been in great form in One Day cricket will again be expected to play a closing role at number six.

The full ACT line up is:
Alex Louden, AB De Villiers+, Geoff Eaves, Yashpal Singh, Misbah Ul Haq, Owen Cardew*, Ismail Tamhane, Ben Marshall, Matt Ramage, Moeez Butt and Paul Marlowe.

NZTailender

Yorkshire demolish Guyana
A hundred by wicket-keeper batsman Lou Vincent and a stunning bowling performance by F Evans saw Yorkshire record their first win over Guyana.
Batting first at home, Lou Vincent (106) and Martin Love (53) built a strong partnership after the wicket of K Agnew. Solid contributions up and down the batting order ensured Yorkshire made 300 plus.
Lou Vincent, in his first innings as an opener, was brilliant as he hit 106 off 162 with 16 fours. Martin Love hit another fifty to give the home side a distinct advantage.

Lou Vincent hit his maiden 100 for the club.

In Guyana's first innings, K Powar grinded out 65 runs from 153 deliveries which was the highlight of their innings. F Evans was well supported by the rest of the bowlers as he grabbed 6 wickets completing a dismantling of the Guyana batting line up, who were all out for 186.

They were forced to follow on, and Evans improved on his first innings tally. He bowled 36 overs to claim a further 8 wickets for just 52 runs in a tight effort of bowling. Debutant Zahid Saeed finished with 2 wickets for the match, while J Wilkes and J Rudolph both passed 50 for Guyana.

Yorkshire lost two wickets in chasing the small total for victory, which will no doubt give the entire team a boost in confidence ahead of the one day encounter with New South Wales.

Anup Dave has been dropped from the First XI in favour of batsman P Marsden who will bolster the line up. W Beasley is expected to play in the 5th bowlers role.
NSW beat Yorks in the second round of the one day comp and no doubt the Yorks players will be wanting revenge.

Yorkshire all out 338
L Vincent 106, M Love 53
F e-Akbar 5-69, I Nelson 3-70

Guyana all out 186
K Powar 65, M Clarke 30
F Evans 6-45, R Silva 2-40

Guyana (following on) all out 238
J Wilkes 57, J Rudolph 55
F Evans 8-52, R Silva 1-54

Yorkshire 2-87
W Tendulkar 40*, M Love 22*
I Nelson 1-17, F e-Akbar 1-32

Yorkshire won by 8 wkts.

MOTM: F Evans

Yorkshire MVP points
3. F Evans
2. L Vincent
1. M Love

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Jones get the chop

After a disappointing start to the season by the Colts seam bowlers Phillip Jones is the first to face the chop. With all three Colts seam bowler averaging over 50 it was only about time before one of them got dropped. With both Tweedie and Hitchcock playing a major role with the bat this season, averaging over 40. Jones was the unlucky one to get dropped. Comming into the side for the vetern Welsh seamer is Colts junior Murali Mudugalle, who has been in amazing form in both FC cricket and in the cup competition. Mudugalle will join Trougton and capatin Lennox Cush in a three man spin attack, on the spin friendly Helvelock pitch.

Jones taking one of his seven wickets this season

Last edited: