• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opinion on the Draft!!!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok now that the off season is over, i would like to get everyones opinion on how they thought the draft was run...

please be honest and please give reasons so we can improve them for next season!!!

Graham

3rd Umpire
I thought the system was good, but would prefer only 2 days between each cycle rather than 3 days.
Also, if a manager fails to submit on time, rather than give them a random pick, I'd prefer you (GB) as person in charge to give them a sensible pick that addresses the balance of their squad. That way, if a new manager has to take over, he's not left a bunch of useless picks which I'd find very disheartening if I was in that situation.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i didnt like the amount of players i had to give up from my original squad.

Graham

3rd Umpire
I'd prefer 5 draft rounds with players able to keep 11 players and 5 DP's or 12 players and 4 DP's, but nobody able to drop a draft pick only trade it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think 6 rounds was about right - any less and you'd see the same teams at the top every season.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
less rounds

and well the really crap thing was that i was picking so late cause i was a new team - then again i dont think thats gonna happen again
also another suggested improvement would be ME picking first :lol::lol:

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Graham
Also, if a manager fails to submit on time, rather than give them a random pick, I'd prefer you (GB) as person in charge to give them a sensible pick that addresses the balance of their squad.
I do see where your coming from Graham, but that doesn't punish a team for not summiting a list.

However if GB knows that a team is unmanaged at the time or a team was on it's last warning etc, maybe he could make the random picks slightly better players.

Rich2001

International Captain
Now for my thoughts on the draft

I liked it, it seemed fair and has done it's intended job of reducing the gap between the big teams (NSW/QLD) and the rest.

However like alot of others have already said I would drop a round (to 5) and not let anyone drop any draft picks but feel free to trade them for better picks like we did this season. Because there was nothing in that last round of any real class, and from what I can remember the best batsman avged about 30. Unless you created a extra amount of rookie player with better avg's.

I did perfer the idea of a round at a time, however this could be shortened to as a round every 2 days etc, to reduce the overall lenght.

The order seemed ok for this season, and iam sure a similar plan can be worked out again.

In all fairness even if it was a pants method there are only 2 possible alternatives in my opinion.

1 - Introduce a transfer system, but then you have the problem who gets what money and how/why. The players in the pool are valued and each team has it's own amount of money to buy players with, but say at least 6 players have to be bought (to bring the sqauds back to 16) similar method used in the NRL Sim.

2 - Introduce say 6 pools of players (one for each round) in round one everyone picks from the elite group of players eg avg over 40 or S/R under 40 etc. next round everyone picks from pool 2 etc etc. However no team will ready get any stronger than the other. But it would help Grahams point if a random player needed to be selected they would still get a super(or equal) player to the rest.

3 - You could have lucky dip, every manger just summits a number and whichever player is that number in the list comes to you :P

There aren't any other real alternatives that can be used in my opinion.

[Edited on 16/10/02 by Rich2001]

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
and well the really crap thing was that i was picking so late cause i was a new team
Well the founding members deserved an earlier pick to recognise their status!
Well said Marc

And rememeber some of us had to work damn hard to be that bad :D

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The draft was fine. Managers shouldn't drop their last pick but I've said that before.

The time could be cut down by having the first 4 rounds done in 2 lots of 2 and rounds 5 and 6 done individually so that the balance of the side can be maintained. There is that period of trading after the draft to improve that balance anyway.

I'd keep the 10 and 6 formula again just so everyone's got at least a slightly different side each season and it makes it more interesting.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
the only thing i would comment on adding from rich;s view would be that , i reckon the strong teams that keep winning should get something good out of the draft too instead of being placed last , they should atleast get 1 or 2 good placings on the picks in recognition of their work

Otherwise , ppl will aim to lose , and ill rightfully give me div 1 place to a div 3 guy so i get some good picks ...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
having players valued would be way too much trouble and would not be worth it i dont think.

and to marc, well its ok, i will still beat you despite my bad picks :D

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
I think the idea of transfer system looks interesting.Each player in WCC should have a worth and it should be decided on how the players play.Each team should get a starting amount.At the end of the season the club has to leave six players. The amount of those players should be added to the clubs cash.

Now in the draft all the academy players should be valued on their performance.Now each club can take any player in the draft by bidding highest for that player.At the end each club should have again 16 players.So one club cannot take all the good players in bidding.They have to consolidate and take in total 6 players.

The trade can also be done with money and swap both.The value which is fixed for the player is his worth.If the clubs manager wants then he can ask for more and agaon bidding comes into picture.The manager has to decide at what value the player has to be sold.

This is a bit complicated but very interesting and realistic.

Graham

3rd Umpire
A realistic transfer system would see the top clubs with more money which is not really what people want to see. A draft system is much fairer.

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
A realistic transfer system would see the top clubs with more money which is not really what people want to see. A draft system is much fairer.
I am saying that all the clubs get equal amout of money at the start of the season.Now its upto us which 6 players we leave.If we leave better players who are worth more then more the cash with the club.But for having more cash you have to sacrifice good players and then in the pool from which we have to pick players we can invest more.So it is fair.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by aditya
I am saying that all the clubs get equal amout of money at the start of the season.Now its upto us which 6 players we leave.If we leave better players who are worth more then more the cash with the club.But for having more cash you have to sacrifice good players and then in the pool from which we have to pick players we can invest more.So it is fair.
Far too complicated though - it's fair as it is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
i reckon the strong teams that keep winning should get something good out of the draft too instead of being placed last , they should atleast get 1 or 2 good placings on the picks in recognition of their work

Otherwise , ppl will aim to lose , and ill rightfully give me div 1 place to a div 3 guy so i get some good picks ...
Why do that - you end up in the bottom division then!