• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WCC Season 8 Player Retention and Draft Proposal

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
Dear WCC board

I realise that these matters have probably been discussed, but I thought that I might submit my proposal (all be it late or early), both to the board, and to the WCC community to discuss.

My proposal is do deal with season's end, and the season 8 drafting process. The reason I raise this now, so far from the end of the season, is that some clubs might start planning for the future now, and might like to know what the structure is going forward, so they can plan for season 8.

1. At the end of season 7 retired players are replaced with random-replacment-rookies, and all player stats updated.
2. All rookies then become senior players, signed to their current club. (this gives every club 32 senior players)
3. 1st Round of Trading commences (no club allowed to go below or above 32 players)
4. At the end of the 1st round of trading, all clubs must submit a list of 17 players that will be kept for season 8, this list can include any of the 32 players (including all 5 rookies if desired). Trading of draft picks is not allowed.
5. Clubs as to submit real-life players that could be created by the WCC board to be added to the draft.
6. Season 8 Draft begins, clubs to draft 10 players, taking their lists to 27
7. 2nd Round of trading begins. (no club allowed to go below or above 27 players and all clubs must have 3 wicket-keepers at the end of trading)
8. 5 rookies allocated to each club and clubs assign 5 contracted players.
9. Season 8 begins.

discuss...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
doesnt seem too much different to the current system, just larger numbers. I have a few ideas which will be raised with the rest of the board soon. Thanks for the idea mate we will definately consider it...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I like the idea of real life players, every club should be allowed to have have atleast two real life players join there club every season.

Simon

chaminda_00 said:
I like the idea of real life players, every club should be allowed to have have atleast two real life players join there club every season.
pretty much all the real life players that have stats good enough to make WCC are in it. Theres already a list of about 40 players who will enter this years draft too...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like the idea. Will be interesting to see what happens as far as end of season happenings occurs over the next few weeks. :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
An idea that is being increasingly used in US fantasy football leagues is bidding on free agents rather than having them drafted or assigned.

Each team is allocated, lets say, $100 to use to purchase veteran free agents

So I guess how it could word for WCC is

- Each team at the End of the season can only keep a certain number of players. The rest are released as veteran free agents

- Each club must then bring in 3 of these released players by bidding on the ones they want, but they cannot spend over a total of $100 combined on those 3 players.

- Then there is the draft

- Rest of the squad made up of rookies

It enables a manager to balance their squads better. If there is a player a manager realy wants that has been released then he could bid his entire $100 budget on that 1 player and pick up others on a free that have not had bids placed or look to get value by spending their money wisely on a few players that could help the squad. There are a number of potentially different strategies.

Its just a suggestion that I know has worked well elsewhere and adds a little variety and spice.

Simon

finances of any sort probably wont be added, mainly because it can be too hard to manage and most people just prefer not to have it...

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
Happy that 40 new real lifers will be added.

All real lifers should go into the draft, IMO.

A big NO to finances for me, cricket world wide has not salary cap, unlike football codes.

The increased numbers are the allow for the fact that we now have a 2nd XI, and a rookie system.

I would also like the ability to select the type of rookie required, ie a club submits 5 player types (alrounder, wicket keeper, fast bowler, fine leg fielder) and then the board creates the players based on the requests.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Finance systems have caused problems in the past...

Just wondering why we have to get rid of a certain amount of players? Could we make it that you have to get rid of at least (for example) 3 players, and if you want to get rid of more you can, just means you get an extra round in the draft?

Simon

problem would be is that we only want a certain ammount of draft rounds, if someone wants to drop half their squad we are left with 12 or 13 draft rounds, i dont want anymore than about 8...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Coach_Pearson said:
Happy that 40 new real lifers will be added.

All real lifers should go into the draft, IMO.
Personally i think real life players should go to the clubs they are in real life, each club should get two real life players each season and three generated rookies. If we are going to keep the five rookie thing. Im sure you wouldn't mind the likes of Nick Jewell or Luke Mash do straight into the Victoria side. I sure would love two of Colts real life rookies like Nirmal Wickramaratne and Ishara Amerasinghe straight into my team.

andyc

chaminda_00 said:
Personally i think real life players should go to the clubs they are in real life, each club should get two real life players each season and three generated rookies. If we are going to keep the five rookie thing. Im sure you wouldn't mind the likes of Nick Jewell or Luke Mash do straight into the Victoria side. I sure would love two of Colts real life rookies like Nirmal Wickramaratne and Ishara Amerasinghe straight into my team.
Having real life players going to their real life clubs is pretty much the biggest thing I don't ever want to see in WCC. It's way too uneven (a team like NSW would get guns, whereas Mashonaland would get rubbish). Real life players themselves are okay (prefer generated ones, mind you), but they should definitely not, under any circumstances, go to their RL clubs.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Having real life players going to their real life clubs is pretty much the biggest thing I don't ever want to see in WCC. It's way too uneven (a team like NSW would get guns, whereas Mashonaland would get rubbish). Real life players themselves are okay (prefer generated ones, mind you), but they should definitely not, under any circumstances, go to their RL clubs.
It would only be two, so it would make much of a difference and im sure you'll find that Mashonaland would get some decent bowlers atleast, if you have a look at the Zimbabwean domestic comp.

andyc

chaminda_00 said:
It would only be two, so it would make much of a difference and im sure you'll find that Mashonaland would get some decent bowlers atleast, if you have a look at the Zimbabwean domestic comp.
I think that one of the reasons the previous, very short-lived WCC with real life clubs failed was because of the inequality between the new sides, whereby some teams had 2 or 3 50+ batsmen, while others were lucky to have one 45+ bat. Even if it is only two players, inheriting two gun batsmen, allrounders, or bowlers can have a massive effect on a team, and it'll just create too much unevenness IMO. I know I would be upset in seeing some teams getting better players than me or other teams just because of their club, because if I'd known that was the case, I wouldn't have picked a club like Mashonaland. If rookies and new players are distributed randomly, it just means that no one is treated better or worse just because of where their club is.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Although restrictive...perhaps there could be a singular round of the draft that has just real life players?

Simon

NZTailender said:
Although restrictive...perhaps there could be a singular round of the draft that has just real life players?
not an option...

no way will clubs get real life players going to their clubs as rookies, ill be in the ground before that happens :p

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
broncoman said:
not an option...

no way will clubs get real life players going to their clubs as rookies, ill be in the ground before that happens :p

Not necessarily real life players going to their real life clubs, but just getting more real life players into all sides. Somehow, I dunno :p

Simon

ud be surprised how many real life players there are in WCC, i think ud find well over half of them are...