• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Match Reports (Pre season friendlies)

Graham

3rd Umpire
4 Day game:

Lancashire v SA (at Karnataka)

Played at a venue strongly favouring pace over spin so that I could give my pacers a trundle. I suspected that by playing the allrounder Barnes, I was playing one bowler too many and that’s the way it proved. I should have played an extra batsman and relied on four bowlers. Still, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Lancashire batted first and scored an inadequate 231 with M.Ramprakash (52), A.Swann (48), R.Dravid (38) and J.Modanagopal (36) all getting useful starts, but without going on to a big score.
M.Harrity with 3/19 and S.Bond with 3/55 were the most successful SA bowlers.

SA’s batsmen didn’t fare too much better at their turn to bat as they took a slender first innings lead in going through to 259. R.Harris (63), M.Jenkins (55) and S.Deitz (38) all played their part as Lancashire’s Aussie import A.Dale turned on the magic in devastating fashion taking 7/58.

Batting continued to prove difficult on the Karnataka pitch as Lancashire again fell for a disappointing score – 229. A.Schiller (76), J.Modanagopal (33) and R.Dravid (32) were the best contributors.
S.Bond again took a three wicket haul with 3/64 ably supported by R.Stratton with 3/48 as the SA bowlers set their side up to chase 201 for the win.

SA achieved victory in impressive fashion, losing just two wickets along the way with V.Laxman (93no), M.Jenkins (46) and R.Stratton (38no) frustrating the Lancashire pacemen.

SA defeated Lancashire by 8 wickets.

Graham

3rd Umpire
4 Day game

Lancashire v Worcestershire (at Lancashire)

Lancashire batted first and put together an imposing first innings score of 473. K.Baumgarner (149), M.Ramprakash (71), M.Beerala (66), A.Schiller (38) and M.Mendis (31) were the main contributors.
For Worcestershire, N.Boje enjoyed the turning pitch as he captured 4/126.

Division 2 Worcestershire failed to avoid the follow on in being dismissed for 289. A.Razzaq (91), L.Carseldine (39) and M.Higgs (34) were the best of the visiting batsmen.
M.Smethurst (4/76), M.Pushpakumara (3/56) and P.Mhambrey (3/73) all bowled well for Lancashire.

The follow on was enforced and Worcestershire found the going even more difficult in their second dig as they were all out for 222 on the deteriorating pitch. R.Kaluwitharana (44no), M.Higgs (44) and N.Boje (31) put up resistance after their side faced embarrassment at 117/6.
M.Smethurst carried on his impressive form from last season in doing the damage with 6/67 and taking out man of the match.

Lancashire knocked off the 39 runs required for victory with the loss of one wicket.

Lancashire defeated Worcestershire by 9 wickets.

Graham

3rd Umpire
1 Day game

Lancashire v NSW (at Lancashire)

A NSW side (admittedly not at full strength) was humbled big time as they batted first and collapsed from 61/1 to be all out for a miserable 79!
L.Vincent (38) stood out like a beacon amongst the carnage.
C.Schofield with 6/12 and part timer M.Mendis with 3/3 had a field day.

The home side polished off the runs required for the loss of three wickets to send shivers down the spines of the other Division 1 sides.
A.Schiller carried his bat with 49no.

Lancashire defeated NSW by 7 wickets.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Colts Have played Alot of matches so here goes
Colts Vs Lancs OD
this proved to be a bad match for the colts who were hammered by 10 wickets, A Dale taking 5 wickets for lancs and Simon Katich the only Colts playert to pass 50

Warwickshire vs Colts
This again proved to be a bad match for the mighty Colts Bowling attack Warwicks making 269 all out with M Wagh making 117 and Former team mate Fernando making 52, Y Singh Bowled an impressive 5 overs 2/16
from here the colts dominated with a 188 run opening stand between Shewag and Sharath all but closing the match in the colts favor, Sharaths 143 from just 110 balls teh highlight

On to teh 4 day matches - realistically where the squad is aimed at

Auckland vs Colts
Auckland started well with former colts player lloyd making 50 and Harris making 154 but Weeraratne taking 4 wickets n 5 balls - Auckland 336 all out
The colts top order batted well sharath making 108, Katich 112 and Anderson 152 to give the colts 535 all out

Auckland made 346 in their 2nd innings with Harris making another century

but it was not enough the colts taking the game by 9 wickets, sharath and shewag both passed 50 in the final innings

Glamorgan vs Colts
well this match did not prove much of a challenge for teh colts shewag makeing 190 to lead the olts to 440 all out
Glamorgan collapsed to Liyanage who took 7-74 to help roll glamorgan for 230

following on Glamorgan looked a different side Powell scoring a century and Hemp and Dinge both passed 50 to give Glamorgan 415 all out,

Katich and Singh led the colts to victory both passing 50

Colts vs SA
Thios was built as a big match and there was alot of hype in the MSN conversation between the managers i got excited when i rolled SA for 189 in their first and i replied with 325, but as fate would have it SA wracked up 512 in their next innings with Jenkins and Laxmann scoring 145 and 135 respectiveley
the colts could only manage 316 (katich 133)to this losing the match by 60 runs

so roll on the season

Graham

3rd Umpire
1 Day game

Lancashire v Worcestershire (at Worcestershire)

Worcestershire batted first, but could only put together a disappointing 151.
The openers R.Kaluwitharana (45) and D.Pipe (32) were the best of the home batsmen.
M.Pushpakumara was the destroyer with 5/43.

Lancashire polished off the runs required for the loss of three wickets with youngsters A.Schiller (47) and K.Baumgarner (38no) again impressing.

Lancashire defeated Worcestershire by 7 wickets.

Graham

3rd Umpire
1 Day game

Lancashire v Colts (at Colts)

A much looked forward to clash after pre season trade offers had the Colts manager remarking to the Lancashire manager that none of the Lancashire players were good enough to consider in exchange for S.Sharath or K.Upashantha.

Colts batted first, but crumbled in the face of an inspired A.Dale who took 5/31. S.Katich (51) stood firm as his team mates came and went like yoyos!

And then to rub salt into the wounds, the visiting openers K.Baumgarner (65no) and A.Swann (61no) put together an unbeaten stand of 129 to register victory.

Lancashire defeated Colts by 10 wickets.

The Colts manager has promised a far better performance in the upcoming 4 Day friendly between the two sides.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A fine performance from the Bears, destroying Glamorgan by an innings and 20 runs.

Glamorgan went in first, and the Warwickshire attack were on fire, new boy Chapple starring with 5-40, and Giles looking back to form following his injury with 2-37.

The openers fell cheaply, but then the carnage began! A fine 92 from Sriram and an innings of 179 from wicket keeper Manjrekar, showing why he was so highly regarded was followed by 66 from Giles, and a brutal 40 not out from Chapple at number 10 as the team amassed 532 at almost 4 an over!

Glamorgan made a better fist of things in the second innings, but consistent bowling from Pollock with 4-47 and a long tght spell from Giles strangled them, finishing 311 all out.

Just the right start from a reasonaby first choice team....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
...the same could not be said for the team selected to play against Kent - one suspects Rich had a hand in it!

Opening with a non-opener, and resting the quality players such as Gile and Pollock, Kent dominated, only Chapple (4-87) and Manjrekar (77 in an unaccustomed role) impressing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In the one day games, 2 good batting performances from a team batting first each time, with Mark Wagh making 59 and 117.

Against Canterbury, the bowling was superb, with only some slogging from the number 11 preventing a complete domination - Lawson taking 2-6 off 8 overs of hostile bowling.

Against Colts, the least said the best...

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
nsw pre seaon games didnt go as well as planed however there where some big names not played however it was the chance for a few new name players to impress the coach, and there was a few suprises but not what the coach expected.
lancashire handed out a belting with schofield bowling out of his skin.

s macgill took off where he left last year taking some good bowling figures,a nd s warne also adapted well.

l vincent made use of his opportunity and scored some solid runs in most of his innings

nsw only winning the 1 game out of 4, bugs malone is not concerned at the moment. 1 big factor is that b lara is struggling for form and will have to produce some magic over the next week to push for a spot in the first 11 to take the field next weekend.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Tassie played two four dayers and 0 one dayers?

Auckland v Tasmania

Tasmania 437
Defeated
Auckalnd 206 & 178

Hills 95
Solanki 80
DiVenuto 90

Muralitharan 0-53 & 4-34
Kulkarni 4-48 & 3-23
Canning 5-37 & 0-25

Tasmania beat Auckland by an innings and 53 runs

Tasmania v Yorkshire

Tasmania 151 & 394
Lost to
Yorkshire 287 & 382

Hills 7 & 140
Cox 0 & 100

Gillespie 3-51
McIntyre 3-56
F.Akram 3-49
Canning 5-90

Yorkshire beat Tasmania by 124 runs

Pros:
Batted well
Bowled Well

Cons:
Had 6 Strike bowlers in game against Yorkshire, and Muralitharan wasn't one of them.

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
...the same could not be said for the team selected to play against Kent - one suspects Rich had a hand in it!

Opening with a non-opener, and resting the quality players such as Gile and Pollock, Kent dominated, only Chapple (4-87) and Manjrekar (77 in an unaccustomed role) impressing.
Em when GB ran the game, thats quite hard :P

And it wasn't either of our first team squads so little can be read into it

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It was far from even close to a first choice team for me, you had a more first choice team than I did for sure!

Rich2001

International Captain
It was far from even close to a first choice team for me, you had a more first choice team than I did for sure!
I was on MSN talking to GB and Lord at the time, when he said I beat you..and because I have had other things to do, i still haven't even seen the scorecard so couldn't tell you..... (I go look now)

Yes I had alot of 1st team players there, however the batting order is a little out to say the least :O

And my opening bowler (M.Saggers)bowled just 3 overs :O, See I was being nice to you :P

And you mentioned in a earilier post that your WK will not open however 77 isn't bad for an out of postion player :P

Rich2001

International Captain
Kent v QLD @ QLD - OD Match

I went into this match to test my OD sqaud, as I kenw it was the weaker of the two teams and who better to test yourself against than last years champions.

QLD batted first and the signs didn't look good as last years top score J.Maher looked in super form, his fellow opener S.Law looked troubled by the Kent pacers and struggled to 23 (57) before H.Singh in his new colours took his first ever Kent wicket (first of many, I hope). The innings then fell away big time and all the batsman struggled to get into any flow and England pair Flintoff and Hussain both fell soon after each other before A.Bichel gave some much needed support to Maher who reach a well desvered 50. Just when a decent score could be on the cards wickets again began to fall quickly the solid performance by Maher was ended in a stupid run out and I.Blackwell / M.Kasprowicz / N.Hauritz / A.Sheriyar could only add 21 between them.

After 50 overs QLD managed to reach a half repectable score of 221/8 however after being at 116/1 things could have been alot better.

The computer selected all three of my spinners however only two were used. However two of Kent's new signings performed superbly in different senses: -

S.Hutton - 10-0-36-0
H.Singh - 10-3-31-2

And the usal performance of Saggers again stood out

M.Saggers - 10-2-38-3

The Kent innings started in good fashion, A.Flower set out like his pants were on fire before claming down to a run a ball pace. And M.Butcher promoted to open for this game the complete opposite, looking for the adward of slowest scorer!. M.Butcher was dismissed for a solid 18 (39), then came the moment that the Kent fans wantted to see, the young rookie who has set the world on fire with his performances in the acadmey was to show why Kent manager kept so much faith in him, by turning down some huge offers. B.Allen started his Kent debut with a super knock of 72 from 99 balls, A.Flower was unlucky not to reach his 50 when he bowled by a ball that clipped the inside edge and shattered his leg stump. The wicket bought Aussie veteran S.Waugh to the middle to team up with the young rookie, however Waugh was given a batting class by the younster, and in protest Waugh got out for a un-impressive 7 (8). Yet another new face to Kent was bought to the middle in D.Marsh (who must have won the award for most travelled player during the off-season) he set his stool out to back up Allen and he did a fine job putting on 76 between them. Marsh then started to get over confident and hit the ball stright to the man in the deep who took a simple catch. At 162/4 there was still alot of work to do, espically as Kent had a long tail (thank-you comp :D ) The first of the spinners G.Batty walked out to bat.....then turned around and walked stright back after getting a 3 ball duck. The second of the spinners came to the middle (N.Smith) haven't been unable to get a bowl in the QLD inngs he knew he needed to bat well to get noticed...and he did. He set out in similar fashion to Marsh keeping the one end ticking and hit a super 32 from just 34 balls. With Allen hitting the winning runs (225/5) with 2 overs left to top of a great day for the lads from Kent.

The QLD bowling was all very tidy, but they didn't have enough runs on the board to defend

Z Faisca - 10-0-43-2
N.Hauritz - 5-1-22-2

Were the best of the bunch.

Summary

QLD - 221/8
Kent - 225/5

Kent won by 5 wickets
Man of the match was J.Maher for a fine 88 in the poor batting performace by QLD

Next 2 match reports soon

Rich2001

International Captain
And you mentioned in a earilier post that your WK will not open however 77 isn't bad for an out of postion player :P
Not as good as 179 in his natural place!
Point taken :D .................. and dismissed as a fluke :P

Rich2001

International Captain
You're just jealous I've got him! :frog:
No mate Iam very happy with my two WK's (A.Flower & G.Jones) keep an eye out for them, they will be on fire this year...

(note to myself - Paid Flower & Jones on runs scored)

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
As expected the Glamorgan challenge this year will come in the one day games. Let's start with the bad news.

The First XI played Colts in a 4 day game and got hammered by 6 wickets. Impressive performances by Powell (101) and Dighe (65* and 60*) were not enough.

The Second XI then played Warwickshire and were thrashed by an innings and 20 runs. Powell again starred with the bat making 93. The bowling in the 2 4 day games was hit and miss.

The one day games on the other hand were impressive. The First XI played Colts and beat them by 58 runs. Ganguly 84, Klusener 66* and Dale 69* batted well followed by a good team performance with the ball.

The Second XI played Auckland and won by 7 wickets. Another team bowling performance was followed by Maynard getting 81 and Newell 50 to win the game.

It looks like it could be a long season ahead for the 4 day side but hopeful for the one dayers.