• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An Error in average calculations??

Sriram k

Total Cricket Moderator
I just found a major error in the average calculation done to adjust
the performances of players in the next season.
I think an example would illustrate it better.
S.Tendulkar had played 361 matches and averaged 45.42 before the start
of the WCCC season.In the season he scored 246 runs at an avg of 30.75 in 10 matches.
So now his number of matches would be 371 but his average would be :
(his original career runs + runs in WCCC)/(371-not outs)

The formula used seems to be
(WCC avg + Original avg)/2 which is grossly incorrect.
Pls try to correct it.

Sriram

Graham

3rd Umpire
My understanding was that WCCC averages would become the career averages, in effect cancelling out completely any previous statistics.

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Graham
My understanding was that WCCC averages would become the career averages, in effect cancelling out completely any previous statistics.

This cannot be done Graham.We have traded players looking at their career avgs.So i think the career avgs should be taken into account.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with this is that Career runs are not associated with VC4, Aves could only be worked out on games but that would not be an accurate number...

Basically what i have done is if a player had a very bad season compared to his average his average would drop by a couple of runs, so if a player ave 40 in career and then had a season ave of 30 his ave would decrease by a couple...

On the other hand if a player had a better than ave season his ave would increase....
Career games were taken into accnt so if a player had played a motsa of career games his ave would not drop as much as a player who had played only a handful of games...

The system was the easiest and fairest i could use without going through and calculating every players career runs...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
so for example S Sharath in the colts may will be a little higher in his OD average than last year cause he made heaps of runs last year - is that correct

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Sriram k
I just found a major error in the average calculation done to adjust
the performances of players in the next season.
I think an example would illustrate it better.
S.Tendulkar had played 361 matches and averaged 45.42 before the start
of the WCCC season.In the season he scored 246 runs at an avg of 30.75 in 10 matches.
So now his number of matches would be 371 but his average would be :
(his original career runs + runs in WCCC)/(371-not outs)

The formula used seems to be
(WCC avg + Original avg)/2 which is grossly incorrect.
Pls try to correct it.

Sriram
According to the site, he now averages 62.24.

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
I took Troughton and knight from you marc and their avgs have fallen drastically.Troughton avgs just 34 now in 1d and knight also same.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by aditya
I took Troughton and knight from you marc and their avgs have fallen drastically.Troughton avgs just 34 now in 1d and knight also same.
LOL!

Rich2001

International Captain
How do everyone know the stats have fallen (going by the site) because if you read another thread about the stats I asked GB, Not a single stat has changed on the site from last year yet GB has been busy and hasn't got round to updating the sites stats, only the stats in the VC file have been altered.

I think GB said by round 2 he should have the new stats for the site... so keep an eye on them then

Rich

Graham

3rd Umpire
(This cannot be done Graham.We have traded players looking at their career avgs.So i think the career avgs should be taken into account)

With a little time on my hands during a holiday break, I calculated the FC and OD season averages of every player (taking friendlies into account also). I used performance as well as career stats to conduct my trading, so it will be interesting to see if it was worth all the trouble!
By the way I did all my calculations on paper and not in spreadsheet form, so sorry I can't email them to anybody.
I used these calculations and career stats to make my predictions about how teams would go in each division. Since then there were trades, so I might amend my predictions slightly soon (if you're interested).

[Edited on 13/10/2002 by Graham]

Graham

3rd Umpire
No scanner - sorry! I chucked away all the calculations. What I do have left are batting averages, bowling averages and rpo's. If I get time, I'll type them up and post them.:cool2:

Sriram k

Total Cricket Moderator
That would be really interesting...!!
If you do that lets have you as the official statician of WCCC!!!
What do you say GB?? :)

Sriram