• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection announcements Round 3 First Class

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Selection Announcements Round 3 First Class

Post your round 3 selection announcements here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
Victoria have made one change to the side that defeated Tasmania by 6 wickets, in their last 4d adventure. After a hundred in the 2nd XI Kumar Sangakarra has returned to the bushrangers 1st XI for the first time since season 3. Kumar replaces the out of form Abhijit Kale. Kale will take Kumar's place in the 2nd XI. Sangakarra will bat 3, and De Silva keeps his spot as the number 1 wicket keeper. One Day specilaist Schiller has been forced into the 4d 2nd XI to cover having the 2 wicket keepers in the 1st XI. Coach Pearson said "Kale has a lot of work to do on his game technically, and if he is to return the 1st XI this season he will need to meet certain milestones. We have a lot of simalar quality batsman around the club, and if you preform in the 2s, you will get your chance in the 1st XI." On the club's future, Pearson announced "Both Azharuddin® and Attewell® have probably done enough to be a part of the bushrangers squad going forward, and this will put pressure on all the senior guys to preform.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wont be injuries this week, just minus 1 from each player, ill fix it before the night is out...

NZTailender

broncoman said:
wont be injuries this week, just minus 1 from each player, ill fix it before the night is out...

N Ranjith - Northerns
F Abbasi - Colts
I Tamhane - ACT

Are now fit and are able to be picked.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
[B]Northerns name unchanged lineup[/B]

Northerns name unchanged lineup

Despite being 0-2 this season Northerns has resisted the urge to change its squad but warnerd this was the final week for his leniancy. Northerns 1st XI are currently struggling big timew without a win from 4 day and 1 day competition.

NZTailender

Batting reshuffle, but the same eleven.
Round 3 of First Class cricket sees karachi host Yorkshire. Once again, Yorkshire manager Greg Thomas has posted an unchanged line up, with a minor batting reshuffle.

Martin Love has swapped places with Mahela Jayawardene while Roy Silva has kept his place, despite rather mediocre efforts to date.

Mr. Thomas spoke at a press conference ahead of Fridays clash.

"I feel this is a must win match for us. It's the third FC match of the season and we're going to have to really step up a gear and perform to the best of our abilites. We have the talent, the experience and the class. So far we've lacked cohesion. To be honest, I'm slightly disappointed in my boys, as they seemed to have gelled as a team before the season even began. Now we're failing to capitalise when we have the upper hand and we seem to give up when something doesn't go our way. I've stepped up the training since the one day match and I'm feeling a little more confident now. Gavin (Hamilton, Yorks bowling coach) has informed me he's ironed out some problems with our bowling attack, namely Evans, who has bowled with great accuracy and has been tough to score off but hasn't run through a side as we've all been expecting.
"Stuart (Law, Yorks batting coach) has been doing great jobs exclusively with the rookies. I phoned him up after the 2nd XI match on the weekend and asked him if he could help with the 1st XI batsmen, and he agreed. So far it's promising, very promising. Again, it'll be hard. Karachi are a bit of an unknown quantity. They have a good manager and a good side, and I look forward to my first encounter with them."

Zahid Saeed: waiting in the wings.

Yorkshire XI (in batting order): M Dawn (c), K Agnew, M Love, W Tendulkar, M Jayawardene (vc), P Marsden, L Vincent (wk), R Silva, F Evans, P Laker, D Kaneria, Z Saeed (12th man)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Sucessful Four Day Squads Remain Unchanged.

After the success of the 2nd Four Day round of matches, Queensland manager Daniel Smith has announced today that the squads will remain unchanged.

"There's obviously a few players in the seconds pushing their claims with some good form, but we had our first win last round and the guys are very upbeat at training about how things are turning."

"We'd like to finish the job against Colts this week, after the way we beat them last week in the One Dayers it'd feel great to knock them over here in FC too." 1st XI skipper Daryll Cullinan said today. "I feel we've got the edge on them and hopefully that shows this weekend.

The Baconator

A few changes to Tasmania

V Chandrasekh
B Beresford
K Bulman
R Arnold
M Goodwin (c)
S Raina
R Warren (wk)
J Sharma
M Lampard
R Dhamika
M Sam

Tasmania's side has a few changes from the one which lost to Victoria. These were expalined by Alex Crampton at a press conference:
"It's a bit off a disappointment that Gazza (Eaton) is injured, he's a good player well suited to the FC game. With him absent Chandrasekh is pushed up to open with Barry Beresford. We've also left out Kotak, he's contracted but he's been performing disappointingly with both bat and ball. This and the injury gives an opportunity to Russel Arnold and Suresh Raina, and it'd be nice if they were to take it with both hands."
"There's also a change in the bowling attack. Another contractee, Mike Rice, is left out to bring a second spinner, Dhammika into the line up. This lets us take advantage of our home surface, and Dhammika's been in top form for the OD side so hopefully he can transfer it to this form."

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Free State have decided to retain the same XI. "Our record in this form isn't as woeful as in the shorter version so we'll see how it goes. Look out for changes in the OD team though," manager Xavier Rose was quoted as saying.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mashonaland make first change of the season

Mashonaland manager Andy Cameron today told press that Steve Tikolo would be coming into the firsts for out of form Indian batsman Rohan Gavaskar.

"Steve's being a consistent performer in the 2nd's, where his lowest score this season has been 40. We'll be keeping a close eye on Rohan in the seconds to see how he goes, and we're sure that it won't be long until he's really knocking at the door for reselection."

"The batting line up is the only aspect of the team that's being changed this week. Given the turning conditions of the pitch, it was difficult to not select Abuthahir Rizan, but, as with last week's game against the Colts, no bowler has really underperformed, while playing two spinners would upset the balance of the side. We are confident that our bowlers can perform regardless of the conditions, such as the game against the Colts, where our bowlers really won the game for us."

"On that note, our batting is still a bit of a worry, most noticeably in the top order, where we've really struggled to create a good platform for the rest of the innings. We're looking for Quentin and Jon to really set up the rest of the team for a good total this round. If that doesn't happen, a little bit of shuffling may occur in the line-up."

Steve Tikolo's impressive form in the seconds has earned him a call up

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
WP Still Unchanged

Despite not having won a match this season, Western Province will carry the same side into their match this week against ACT. WP manager Jack McNamara pointed the blame at his bowlers’ inability to bowl sides out as the main reason for their wins.

“It’s an overused cliché, but you need 20 wickets to win games of cricket. And we’re just not doing that at the moment. When you’re opening bowlers are averaging 48 and 38, you’re clearly going to struggle to take maximum points.”

The batting has been steady without being fantastic thus far for WP, the highlight being Brad Morley’s 195 in the most recent match. “Brad had been struggling up to that point, and I think that he showed the rest of the side, and also the selection committee, that persistence pays out, and that we need to be patient with those guys who have done well for us in previous seasons”.

What McNamara is not going to be patient with is the chronic under-utilisation of spinner Oliver Clarke. “Shane (Watson, the captain) really has to develop more trust in him. He’s a class act, and we feel he’s far too good for 2nd XI cricket at this stage. I do find it quite hard to believe that Shane hasn’t found the need for him to bowl one over thus far this season, not even in the warm-ups. I am very sure this will be rectified this week.”

When asked about ACT’s recent form, McNamara was circumspect. “Look, I’d much prefer to be playing them on our dunghill, however Manuka’s a good cricket wicket. They’re coming off a big win against Tamil Nadu, and their squad is sure to be full of confidence. But I feel as though we’re building towards something here – our bowling was fantastic for one half last match, and our batting awesome in the second half. If we can piece it together, I’m sure we can set our season up by dispatching ACT.”

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Unchanged Squad, but players under scrutiny
Greg Belle took a more aggressive stance at the Yorkshire press conference this afternoon, promising that he was doing all he could to improve the second eleven’s team and elevate them to a win.
‘We’re going with the same, unchanged eleven this week. I’ve really liked the style and power of cricket we’ve been playing this season, although we’ve yet failed to get a win on the board. The team has impressed me with its consistency, and players such as Kade Davies, Patel, Zaheer Saeed and Will Cornwall have all had stellar starts to their seasons. Boucher has been reliable and Tim (Lyons) has done his part. However…’
Greg takes a breath, and continues. ‘There are players who are struggling at this point in time. (Darren Gough) Goughie is struggling out there at the moment, and he really hasn’t bowled well enough to warrant us retaining him for much longer. He played a good starting game against Free State, and since then he’s been fairly economical, but so far he just hasn’t been able to break through. Such a great player will come good, however for him and Yassir (Arafat) it’s very much crunch-time. Yassir has lost a great deal of self-belief since this season started, but I don’t doubt it’ll come back soon. Even so, this is the last match before we really think about making first-class changes.’
When I addressed him about the form of the opening batsmen, Belle changed the topic quickly. ‘I’m not looking at changing either Yashpal or Kripal Singh. They’re working overtime with Stuart Law (the Yorkshire batting coach) and both of them understands that they’ll need to put their hands up very soon, or face being dropped.’
Both of them started very well, recording an opening stand of 64 and hitting their highest scores all season (39 and 36 respectively) against Free State in round once. Since then, however, both batsmen have really struggled against the new ball, Yashpal picking up scores of 1 not out, 9 and 0.

R Kripal Singh, F Yashpal, N Patel, T Lyon, K Davies, G Belle, M Boucher, W Cornwall ,D Gough, Z Saeed, Y Arafat

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Form Counts: Burke​

Warwickshire manager Stephen Burke has made two changes to his line-up as they prepare for their First-Class Division 1 clash with Auckland this week at Edgbaston. Ian Vernon replaces Zac Kaye in the batting line-up, with Kaye only making 6 runs from 4 innings so far this season. The other change is Sanjay Gill replaces fellow sub-continental pace bowler Pathiranalage Karunanayake. While enjoying some scrumptious scones at a tea-house in Stourbridge, Burke made some brief comments on the team selection for Round 3.

'I have quite a few classy players in my squad,' Burke said. 'And that means if you're not performing up to scratch, there is someone waiting in the wings to take your spot.'

When questioned whether chopping and changing his teams would not allow Warwickshire to build a team repore, Burke answered, 'We are one squad, all 30 players train together and no one is excluded at all. I am very happy with the morale in the club at the moment and I think having competition for places can only be good.'

Warwickshire are yet to win a First-Class fixture this season, with a loss to Tamil Naidu and a draw with Western Province.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
South Australia Revert Changes
NSW pitch not conducive to Axelby, Mørk says

Eddie Graham comes back for Heath Axelby after the former's stunning performance in the recent one-day game against Surrey. "With Graham having a contract and the SCG not turning as much as the Adelaide Oval this year, it was really an easy decision to make," Mørk says. "Obviously Heath is gonna be a little disappointed with not playing, but I've talked it through with him and he's taking it as a man."

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
NSW name 1 change

NSW physions worked hard to get M Pamer fit but they just didnt have enough time. Even special oxygen flown in from sunny Gofftown couldnt get the star number 3 bat ready in time.
NSW will make 1 change with M Parmer out injured for 2 weeks he opens up his spot for someone. he could be a big loss as he has been in fine form with the stick so far this season.With a few boys pushing on the heels of the first xi J Du Toit has been called up with his fine form in the 2nds he has hit a big tonne and a half century all ready. With a big game needed against S.A filling in the big shoes.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
South Australian 2nd XI manager, KJ Goughy, announced one change to the side that has drawn its first two 4 day games.

Dippenaar, who averages 5.5 with the bat so far this season, has been dropped and released from the squad.

Goughy said "Dippenaar has been sent home to rest with his family. Something is wrong and I need him to work it out. He will not be playing any cricket this week."

The young rookie, Goodwin, has been brought into the side and Goughy has tried to settle his nerves by telling him he will get a fair run in the team.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Surrey have announced a pair of unchanged teams for this weeks matches, even after being soundly defeated by South Australia in OD.

Jungle Jumbo

Lancashire Second XI have anounced an unchanged side for their home clash with Western Australia, largely because of a similar lack of alterations in the first team. Several of the batsmen may be playing for their places however. Vijay Bharadwaj, Sufyan Munir, Brett Anderson and Zak Harris have all made disappointing starts to the first-class campaign with the bat, and are under severe pressure from the likes of Todd Hunt and Nikhil Doru.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guyana Unchanged

Guyana face arch-rivals Free State with an unchanged side. Guyana manager Kyle Wright said that there were no need for changes due to the sides unbeaten run so far in season 7.
"We don't feel it is neccessary to change a side that is unbeaten and we know the guys will put up another competitive performance and we're confident that we can come away with the points."