• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Retirement Announcement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We will be doing things a bit different this year with retirements, players can now retire from any age but its weighted so the older players have an bigger chance of retiring. Anyway the major change will be that the retirements will be announced one by one throughout the season, the board will be notifying a manager that one of their players will be retiring at the end of the season, we will supply you with the players WCC career stats, their age, the reason for retirement, from there you have to do a press conference in this thread. The MRC will be taking notice of these too, the board will also make a statement about each of the players after it is announced. A player could announce his retirement at any stage throughout the season but it wont take effect until after season 7.
Any problems let the board know.

Simon

lord_of_darkness said:
whoa.. its like my best player could potentially 'die' anytime..
yeh pretty much, if some managers saw some of the tests we did they'd be horrified...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
oh.. lets hope it affects the top of the table teams ;)... i better start transfering funds into the boards overseas account soon then ;)

Simon

lord_of_darkness said:
oh.. lets hope it affects the top of the table teams ;)... i better start transfering funds into the boards overseas account soon then ;)
the usual account will be fine...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't like it unless only younger players with long term injuries are only ones included e.g. 5 plus games

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great idea. However I agree with Tharmi. If there are too many young players retiring it will become overkill.

andyc

Mister Wright said:
Great idea. However I agree with Tharmi. If there are too many young players retiring it will become overkill.
Yeah, that's a fair point. Some managers may trade off two or three good players to get a young star, only for him to retire that year, which would be pretty annoying. All the same, people seem to be wanting everything to be more realistic, so this is a logical step IMO. Doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.

Simon

there arent a lot of young players retiring, there are a couple that are but mainly they are all older players... its still just the luck of the draw.

Cloete

International Captain
Does the board notify managers of players retiring in their team all at once or one at a time?

Sounds like a good idea but doing different players for the same team at different times would be a bit annoying.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Cloete said:
Does the board notify managers of players retiring in their team all at once or one at a time?

Sounds like a good idea but doing different players for the same team at different times would be a bit annoying.

All at once would result in a flood of releases I think, rather than continuous press releases to maintain interest all round...

Simon

Cloete said:

yeh its different times each player...

andyc

Tikolo parts way with Mashonaland

Steve Tikolo, the Kenyan batsman regarded by many as being one of the finest players from the non-test nations, has decided to hang up his boots after seasons of service to Queensland, and more recently, Mashonaland.

Steve Tikolo just prior to announcing his retirement

The stroke-playing middle order batsman represented Queensland for thirty first class games during his time in WCC, in which he amassed over 2,000 runs at an acceptable average of 42.85. While this is below his career average, which is just a shade under 47, he has played some incredible innings in his time, including his memorable 220* for Queensland. Although Tikolo's career List-A record is not one that stands out greatly, he performed well in those opportunities given, averaging over 50 from his fifteen games.

The batsman was secured in a deal during this off-season by Mashonaland manager Andy Cameron, and while he was originally intended to be playing in the first game of the season, a shocking run of form saw him demoted to the 2nd XI. In his first outing for the club, he struck two well-paced, steady fourties, showing his class, experience and consistency as his fellow batsmen failed to make any real impressions.

Tikolo cited his 'old age' as the motivation in announcing his retirement. At 35, with a family at home in Kenya, he has repeatedly mentioned the difficulties of living abroad for whole summers on end. At a press conference today, he commented that he felt it was best to step down to allow younger players to emerge.

"Obviously, I have a great love for the game, but the time comes when you just have to settle down. I would much prefer to retire on my own terms while I feel I can still perform for the side. Every season, it becomes harder to leave my family, and although I will miss playing cricket, family obviously comes before it. I hope to still remain involved in the cricketing scene in Kenya, and have stated to Andy [Cameron] that I would be more than happy to offer the club any support or advice should they need it."

Tikolo's last game is likely to be against the Colts in Round 17, when he will be playing in front of a home crowd who will undoubtedly be out in numbers to bid farewell to a player who has entertained crowds worldwide for years.

Steve Tikolo unfurls a powerful cut during his momentous double century

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm one player at a time, this going to be like the old war loyalty. We are going to fell like someone mother who hopes there son doesn't get pulled out. Might be time to start praying and hoping that this retirement sim doesn't kill off my whole OD bowling attack.

Cloete

International Captain
Parida Moves On

Rahul Parida has decided to make this his last season of professional cricket. The 31 year old wicketkeeper has cited the major reason being the wicket-keeping itself. Years of crouching behind the stumps and long innings' have finally taken its toll on the Indian. Despite a healthy career average of 47, Parida just had one previous season of WCC before this one where he averaged a disappointing 31.87 in the four day arena from his 6 games (Fairly sure that's wrong simon) includign one terrific 103* from down the order. The keeper had prided himself on his batting and was one of the most talented batsmen-keepers in the game. Rahul also played in 6 OD games last season averageing 25.56 with a top score of 53.

TN manager Andrew Cloete is hoping Parida finally displays some of his undoubted talent in the WCC competition this season and signs off with a bang. When asked on the subject, Cloete stated that "Rahul will leave a big hole to fill and we're sad to see him go. His attacking batting, sublime keeping, exemplary behaviour off the field and his general light heartedness and good natured attitude will be sorely missed. Many of the younger players in the team are very disappointed as they looked up to Rahul as a role model and they, like the rest of us at TN, will be sad to see him go. I do, however, wish him the best of luck in his future life. Anyway for the time being he's still a player in my team and an integral part of our four day campaign. He will therefore be treated no differently from any other player, despite being in his final season."

Best of luck to Rahul Parida for this season and his future endeavours after cricket.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Madurasinghe Calls It Quits
Adelaide Climate Not Agreeing To Him

25-year-old Sri Lankan batsman Prasanna Madurasinghe has decided to retire following this WCC season, as 2nd XI cricket in South Australia was not what he was promised, and his awful opening OD game reveals that he may not be suited to this form of cricket either.

Madurasinghe will, however, play out this season, before returning to Saracens Cricket Club to play Premier League cricket in Sri Lanka while attempting to complete his degree in military medieval history.

First-class cricket: 6 matches, 8 innings, 368 runs @ 33.45
One-day cricket: 9 matches, 9 innings, 386 runs @ 48.25, HS 111

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.