• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ideas for Draft for Next Season

deckard

U19 Captain
I know that some people wont agree with this but i was looking at some of the teams and there are some teams that are just a lot better than others. This may pose a problem as it becomes harder for the worse teams to pick up the top players since they dont have the players to trade for a tendulkar, mcgrath etc. I think the solution to this is through the draft. I think the order of the draft needs to be changed heaps.

My idea is to not give 1st or 2nd round picks to the top few teams, like look at NSW they didnt have 1st or 2nd round picks and if u look at their team it doesnt seem as dominate as last year. Compare this to like SA who had like 3 1st round picks and now their team is like one of the best. If u look at how sa got the picks it was because they had the players like blewett to trade for the picks who is a player which many of the teams dont have.

[Edited on 9/10/2002 by deckard]

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's a good idea but not very fair, sometimes you have to make the most of what you have, gradually build up to a top team in a couple of seasons.
maybe excluding all division 1 teams from the draft though could work. but with teams in different divisions for 1 day and 4 day games it makes it a bit harder.

deckard

U19 Captain
Yeah well we would use a points system or something like Paid mentioned in another thread to work out the top teams overall. I dont see how its not fair....but if u look at a team like Auckland, i think that the draft is their only chance of picking up top players and next year remember that only the dropped players, the rookies and the rest of the draft players (who nobody wanted) will be in the draft so the players wont be their.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
but u must take into consideration that the players who will be in the academy sides will have a huge opportunity to improve playing against players of their own level therefore there Aves will increase...

I think What Broncoman says is right though, u need to build slowly, i had a good side last year and yes have improved, but thats through smart trading. I understand that to trade u need good players but i think a smart manager will be able to do so...

deckard

U19 Captain
Although a smart manager is important....but take some of the bottom teams they really dont have any players to trade for a good player. Although it is a slow process they will only be gaining a bit on the top teams as remember the top teams will keep their top 10 players or whatever number.

[Edited on 9/10/2002 by deckard]

Simon

i think the points system combined, with division 2 and 3 teams getting 2 first round picks and div 1 teams getting 1 could work.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
this will be made clearer next season as i will be clamping down on teams keeping more than the stated amount of players...

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I think that is the only area that needs changing. The top sides kept more players and got rid of their last draft picks. Big deal. The players available in round 6 were relatively ordinary so they've kept an extra good player.

I don't think the lower teams should get an extra draft pick early. It's just the luck of the draw and it will take time to build the teams.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
what about something like div 3 teams dropping picks, but if people want to trade picks than that is theire business really

the point system seems to be the way to go BUT - why worry about it now, we got a season to play!!

Graham

3rd Umpire
The trade system should stay the way it is. It mirrors real life sport where a draft system applies. Teams in the lower divisions need to earn their way up rather than have some crackpot system designed to humour the wishes of managers in the lower divisions.

Simon

but graham, in real life lower teams can pull out a great youngster who goes on to average 50 in test cricket, this game is based on stats, if you have a player who averages 19, he isnt going to score 100's every second game.

Graham

3rd Umpire
VCM4 alters stats, some for the better, some for the worse. That's why supposedly excellent players like G.Blewett and S.Pollock underperformed badly according to their stats. Also why some no-namers like A.Swann and J.Ratcliffe overperformed.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I might be able to come up with an alternative...

If i can get someone to develop a program to spit out some random numbers to create the youth players we could have each team bring through 1 young player a season, making everyone a chance of having a great young player...

They would also have the 1st chance to sign there rookie...

Take this under consideration and give me your views...

deckard

U19 Captain
Originally posted by Graham
The trade system should stay the way it is. It mirrors real life sport where a draft system applies. Teams in the lower divisions need to earn their way up rather than have some crackpot system designed to humour the wishes of managers in the lower divisions.
Graham im not trying to suggest some 'crackpot system' its just a method of trying to make the teams more even as i could easily see a division between the top and bottom teams which would continue to grow. By the way GB, i like the idea about the rookies.

Graham

3rd Umpire
That's a much more realistic solution. Well done GB. I would prefer to see this youth player come through separate from the draft. When each team submitted their cutdown squad before the draft, they would have the choice or retaining their youth player or releasing him into the draft pool. I would like to see each team allowed to retain 11 players and have 5 DP's or 12 players and 4 DP's at the end of this season. Nobody allowed to drop draft picks, only trade one away.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
The good thing with this system i think would be that it would be totally random so u could get a great player or u could get a dud but every season it will be pot luck...

deckard

U19 Captain
No problem Graham.....i didnt really look at it that way......i was thinking that u used those words cos u really didnt like my idea.