• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Season 7 Press Releases

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Lancashire 2nd XI Manager Unveils Latest Signing

Newly-installed Lancashire reserves manager George Roberts revealed today the English outfit's latest draft signing: 24-year old Pakistani pace bowler Rizwan Amjad. A future talent, Amjad will provide both aggression and ballast to a strong seam attack, and is also reputedly a strong pinch-hitter in the shorter form of the game, averaging 65 in List-A cricket.

The first team manager, Dave Richards, was unavaliable; sources reported that he was taking part in the annual slug-racing event in the Cricket Web Bar.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
new_age_ar said:
What divison are you guys in?
Divisions haven't been revealed as yet... However 1 things for certain, WP will be somewhere near the bottom :p

Cloete

International Captain
Tamil Nadu Hot Favourites... Again!

After securing another high calibre OD player, whom Cloete described as, "The best one day bowler in WCC!", TN's OD team is looking as good as its Four Day team. Cloete declared that he was simply "delighted" with his current squad and big things are expected from the favourites.

Similarly to Camps, Cloete dropped some information on who he thought would start the first games.

4D:

Fred Platt (Bat: 53.2)
Rabbi Llewellyn (Bat: 52)
Dida Jadhav (Bat: 52)
Andrew Holland (Bat: 65)
David Cowe (Bat: 52.8)
Roberto Shamshad (Bat: 48.05, WK)
Rahul Parida (Bat: 47)
Vicente Philander (Bat: 45.79, S/R: 46.5, Bowl: 19.7)[Fast]
Paul Kumble (Bat: 20.2, S/R: 40.2, Bowl: 16.08)[Fast]
Neil Ranjith (Bat: 11.4, S/R: 35.62, Bowl: 18.82)[Fast]
Umberto Sammels (Bat: 6.2, S/R: 35.2, Bowl: 22.76)[Spin]

Unlucky to miss out:

Nick Kumble (Bat: 18.9, S/R 40.2, Bowl: 24.66)[Fast]

1D:

Dida Jadhav (Bat: 65)
David Cowe (Bat: 61)
Andrew Holland (Bat: 54.5)
Fred Platt (Bat: 54.3)
Robbie Paradkhar (Bat: 67, WK)
Vince Wadekar (Bat: 46.3, S/R: 32.9, Bowl: 27.42)[Spin]
Rabbi Llewellyn (Bat: 43.4)
Umberto Sammels (Bat: 13.5, S/R: 28.1, Bowl: 19.76)[Spin]
Ian Chinyoka (Bat: 12.5, S/R 23.47, Bowl: 17.05)[Medium]
Owen Henshaw (Bat: 10.9, S/R 25, Bowl: 13.67)[Fast]
Nick Kumble (Bat: 8.5, S/R: 31.7, Bowl: 20.97)[Fast]

Unlucky to miss out:

Will Jefferson (Bat: 43.4)
Neil Ranjith (Bat: 10.76, S/R: 33.36, Bowl: 23.85)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
A possible Lancashire OD line up

Midlane 51 bat
Anderton 50.2 bat
Amjad 65 bat
Munir 44.7 bat
Truscott 46 bat
Doru 35.2 bat (keeper)
Reza 34 bat 20.88 bowl
Diawn 32 bat 16.6 bowl
Freeman 15 bat 17.6 bowl
Crawford 13 bat 25.33 bowl
Weerakoon 7.66 bat 18.3 bowl

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Karachi have decided to release a provision 1st XI in keeping with the current trend and to show how strong we are.

FC:
W Jaffer - 49.91
P Dharmani - 49.1 - WK
V Waragoda - 47
J Cooke - 42.8
W Gibbs - 52 (a young 'un)
H Ackerman - 42.2
W Kaye - 34.7 + 46.4
K Woodcock - 24 + 38 (another young 'un)
M Sami - 11.8 + 43.2
J Pradeep - 9.4 + 39.07
B Matthie - 7.5 + 41.9

OD
M Manhus - 51.8
B Khan - 48
M Dhoni - 55.5 - WK
J Cooke - 45.8
W Phadkar - 42.2 + 39
M Jenkins - 46
W Robertson - 39.8 + 32
C Martin - 38.3 + 29.6
J Louw - 25 + 26.2
K Woodcock - 15 + 29
P Norman - 14 + 27.2

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matteh said:
Not feeling confident enough to reveal your plans? 8-)
actually, im feeling so confident i dont need to try and talk up my squad...

new_age_ar

First Class Debutant
Is this the greatest OD side ever?

A confident Colts' Assistant Manager, Thamba Mamesh released what might be potential OD line, there have already been talks that this could be the greatest ever OD XI ever assembled in WCC History.

Salman Butt - 49.2
Ashraf Ali - 62
Tim Darden © - 53.5
Kenny Andrews - 48.5
Pradeep Chawla - 64.25 (WK)
JR Madanagopal - 46.05
Tim Bradshaw - 40 | 23.8 (Fast)
Lennox Cush - 31 | 18 (Spin)
Jim Troughton - 24.1 | 19.7 (Spin)
Paul Hitchcock - 18 | 19.5 (Med)
Philip Jones - 12 | 20.5 (Fast)

Backup:

Farhan Abbasi - 64.25 | 41.5 (Fast)
Thiru Alwis - 48
Murali Madugalle - 2 | 24.3 (Spin)
Andrew Symonds - 31 | 31(Spin)

When asked about a potential FC line up, he said that they are still building their FC side.

33/3from3.3

new_age_ar said:
A confident Colts' Assistant Manager, Thamba Mamesh released what might be potential OD line, there have already been talks that this could be the greatest ever OD XI ever assembled in WCC History.

Salman Butt - 49.2
Ashraf Ali - 62
Tim Darden © - 53.5
Kenny Andrews - 48.5
Pradeep Chawla - 64.25 (WK)
JR Madanagopal - 46.05
Tim Bradshaw - 40 | 23.8 (Fast)
Lennox Cush - 31 | 18 (Spin)
Jim Troughton - 24.1 | 19.7 (Spin)
Paul Hitchcock - 18 | 19.5 (Med)
Philip Jones - 12 | 20.5 (Fast)

Backup:

Farhan Abbasi - 64.25 | 41.5 (Fast)
Thiru Alwis - 48
Murali Madugalle - 2 | 24.3 (Spin)
Andrew Symonds - 31 | 31(Spin)

When asked about a potential FC line up, he said that they are still building their FC side.
That is impressive

Slats4ever

Markus Praises Indian Manager

In what might appear to be an attempt by Western Province manager Ian Markus to win some credibility following the recent angst between the Western Province managerial team and the ACT Comets, Markus last night praised Tamil Nadu's Andrew Cloete as being one of the most "astute" managers in the game.

"Without doubt Tamil Nadu is the team to beat and quiet frankly that is largely due to their manager Andrew Cloete". This comment is in stark contrast to the one's aimed by Markus at Cloete in previous seasons where Markus has put Tamil Nadu's strength down to their amazing run of players out of the rookie programme.

When asked about his own teams chances against Tamil Nadu Markus was quick to reassure the South African public that he thought his team could beat them. "Definately on our day we will be good enough to match it with them and I think people know that, but they also know we'll have to play well".

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like TN might be the team to beat in both forms. For us the only thing better in our OD side then TN looks our lower order. But you would have to get through TN ever powerful top order to get to their long tail. And Henshaw WTF, average of 13, his going to be had to stop.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yorkshire happy with last two signings.

Yorkshire today told a press conference that the recent signings of E Howarth and P Mullick has filled the need for First Class batsmen.

"We feel our batting is now solid with these signings. It looked very poor before with noone averaging in excess of 47." said Yorkshire's manager, Greg Thomas. "Everyone at Yorkshire is happy with the signings. They're definately going to add to the team dynamic with Howarth being a gun fielder and Pullick being able to send down a few medium pacers in the one day format.
When asked how it stood up against the batting line ups of the other WCC teams, he replied "well, while they have some class players who average very highly, I feel a few of the teams have batting line ups that won't gel, and greatly affect their performance" he said before blasting Tamil Nadu. "TN is the perfect example, with a lot of batsman having big averages and big ego's as well, no doubt a result of Andrew Cloete's management. Simply, they'll play for themselves and not the team and that's going cost them matches. Insiders tell me there's conflict between Jadhav and Llewellyn over the opening position. With the season's start closing in, that's not something you want to have hanging about in the dressing rooms. Yorkshire on the other hand have gelled perfectly as a team. Training has been of the highest quality and everyone is pumped about the new season."

Reporters then asked about plans for the rest of their draft and who he think will be the team to beat.
"For the remainder of the draft we intend to pick up some quality first class bowlers, one day batsmen and a third keeper."
"As for who is the team to beat...I like the look of Auckland. I think they have the right balance and they seem to be training great as a team."

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mashonaland manager Andyc has made some bold predictions going into the new season. Andyc, who inherited a substandard team that had been repeatedly branded as one of the worst in the WCC, had called a press meeting earlier today to discuss the upcoming season.

When asked about how the team was shaping up, Andyc said that he had "spent the off season compiling an almost brand new team through trading, the draft and some exciting young rookies."

He went on to say that "this is, I feel, one of the best teams to ever represent Mashonaland, especially in the longer version of the game, where we will be looking to make the biggest impact. Although the team has not yet been finalised, as the draft is still running, I can tell you that Martin Love will most likely be captaining the team in first class, with youngster Quentin Oulton to be vice-captain. Martin is obviously very experienced, and is best suited to lead the team, while we want to give Quentin some experience for the future. In one dayers, the team and captain are also still undecided, although Saqlain Mushtaq will be likely to continue a fine job of captaining the team."

Before finishing the press conference, he detailed the eleven players that will most likely be playing in Mashonaland's first first class game for the season, which were:

Code:
Player	Batting	Bowling	SR 	Average
Q Oulton 57	Spin	45.5	24.12
J Lewis	50.7			
Q Roll	51			
M Love	50.23			
K Agnew	48.3			
J Midlane 43.3	WK	
B Straw	40	Medium	37.6	21.31
V Walker 32.5	Fast	48.3	26.97
B Joshi	15.6	Spin	33.8	22.93
P Laker	14.8	Fast	45.2	21.1
Z Saeed	11.5	Fast	41	24.6
Andyc went on to say that, if necessary, the team could play four bowlers, allowing an extra batsman in Yousuf Youhanna, who averages 45.15, to be brought in for Walker.

Just prior to the conference ending, Andyc was asked what his goals were for the team, to which he replied that he hopes "that Quentin [Oulton] and Quinn [Roll] will both mature into quality batsman, that Ben Straw proves his enormous allround talent to the league, and, finally, I hope that Mashonaland will shake off the easybeat tag."

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Matteh said:
Not feeling confident enough to reveal your plans? 8-)
I think people are under-estimating the team we have... Our OD team we have probably the best OD batsman ever to play WCC, and our FC team after the draft is looking very very very strong...

Slats4ever

Blewy said:
I think people are under-estimating the team we have... Our OD team we have probably the best OD batsman ever to play WCC, and our FC team after the draft is looking very very very strong...
i honestly don't know if you're saying that as a joke or if you're being serious. sure u're sides strong but take a look around ACT. it's going to be dangerous if you build so much heart and hope into the players mind then when they'll lose they'll feel like they've let u down

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats4ever said:
i honestly don't know if you're saying that as a joke or if you're being serious. sure u're sides strong but take a look around ACT. it's going to be dangerous if you build so much heart and hope into the players mind then when they'll lose they'll feel like they've let u down
Yes im serious, i know what this side is capable of, we have a side that i know is going to challenge... Our batting will be our strength batting down to about 9 or 10 and our bowling is as good as most...

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Burke Enters The Ring

The season has not even commenced yet, but the rivalry amongst the WCC teams has reached fever pitch. It seems like every single manager wants to talk up their team, with some even announcing their likely line-ups. Now Kent manager Stephen Burke has put his two cents in.

"I'm sick of all these managers shooting their mouths off" he told the media outside his house earlier today. "They are putting huge amounts of pressure on their players to perform. For example, Andrew Cameron has come out saying this is the best Mashonaland team ever. I just don't think that's fair on the players seeing as it obviously isn't."

When questioned about his own team's prospects, Burke said all he wanted was for his players to "give 100% and have fun out on the pitch."