• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day - Round 1 - Division 1 Discussion

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought it would be a good idea each week for people to discuss up coming matches and get an idea of their chance, ill do a minor preview for each game...

Tasmania play Northern Ditricts in the first game. Neither of these sides have very good batting line ups but will be served by some solid bowlers. Matthew Papps in the top 3 should lead ND to a decent score, Nathan Astle and Stephen Fleming could also get amongst the runs. Yovich and Aldridge will star with the ball all year for the Kiwi's. Tasmania will likely struggle in the top division, with very few batsmen Will Jefferson and Rob Key will need to get Tassie off to some good starts with Damien Wright containing things with the ball.
Result: Northern Districts on the back of their bowlers to win easily.

PIA play Lancashire in round 1 which will no doubt be a high quality game. I expect Bazid Khan to get among the runs with most of the Pakistani's middle order all rounders contributing. Fazil e-Akbar looks to be their best bowler at this stage. Lancashire's batting could prove to be a worry in this game, but their bowlers like Kulkarni and Jimmy Anderson could do enough to ensure the batters wont have many to chase. Marcus Trescothick will need to get amongst them if Lancs are to win.
Result: PIA in a high scoring thriller.

Mumbai travel to South Africa to play the Eagles in the 3rd round 1 match up. Eagles look to be the darkhorses for the title, they have a solid batting line up led by Jacques Kallis and Morn Van Wyk and some capable bowlers such as Johan van der Wath and Roger Telemachus. I can see Jacques Rudolph getting a big score for the Eagles this week. Without a doubt title favourite Mumbai should have their strongst challenge of the season in this game, however their star studded batting line up will be far too strong, Sachin Tendulkar will get plenty this season as will Flynn. All rounder Andrew Flintoff will dominate and win plenty of games starting with this one. DeZoysa looks to be one of the best One Day bowlers in WCC, i cant see him being contained this week.
Result: Mumbai comfortably on the back of top order runs.

Western Australia will host Colts in the final div 1 game. The Australians look to have a powerful batting line up led by Mike Hussey and Adam Gilchrist. However the bowling will be of concern to manager Dave Watt, Brad Williams and Peter Worthington will share most of the workload but a title is out of reach unless it is improved. Colts have the ability to cause an upset in this game, mainly due to their powerful middle order of Wickramaratne and Shetty. The bowling is strong enough to keep them in most games, however if the West Australian bowlers can get past the top 5 quickly i dont think Colts will have enough depth in the batting line up to save the game.
Result: West Australia despite bowling poorly and not taking many wickets.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
It's true that the pre-season trades have strongly effected our chances of holding aloft the OD title. Obviously losing Michael Bevan and Ricky Ponting will make it tough.

Our first up match however we're looking to win. I feel that the attacks made on our batting line up are fairly weak. Whilst we don't really have any one player who will dominate we feel as though we'll be able to post a good score and survive all 50 overs. I think the key to posting a good score will come from how well the middle and lower order bats. We definately have a long batting line up and depth is definately not an issue for us. I think the player we really need to watch out for is Hamilton with the ball...