• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Four Day Round 9 Reports

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mashonaland underestimate Jamaica

The penultimate match of the season saw the two lowest teams, Mashonaland and Jamaica, facing off in front of the Jamaican home crowd. The last time these two teams played, Mashonaland fielded four bowlers and won convincingly, thanks in part to a non-submittal from the Jamaican manager. This time, however, only three bowlers were fielded, and the Jamaican side came together to record a well-deserved victory.

Jamaica won the toss and elected to bat on a pitch that didn't seem to give much to the bowlers. The two openers, Jadhav and Powar, got off to a stellar start, seeing off the opening bowlers Khan and Sami, whilst maintaining a very competitive run rate. Both batsman made half centuries before, with the score on 113, spinner and captain Mushtaq had Powar caught behind for a well played 54. The next wicket did not fall for another 87 runs, with Tennyson keeping up the momentum with Jadhav until Khan finally dismissed the opener for 116, as the batsman wafted at a ball wide outside the off-stump. Tennyson batted on, combining with Pears for fifty runs before poor communication and a good decision from the umpire saw Tennyson run out for 56 thanks to a direct hit from mid off. There was still no respite for the Zimbabweans, as Naidu came on with Pears. The score was on 328 by the time the next wicket fell, Pears out to Arnold for 57. Mushtaq soon claimed his second of the match, trapping Naidu in front just after he had reached his half century. Navqi (48) looked like he was going to hit the sixth fifty for Jamaica, but was bowled by sharp turn from Rogers. Mushtaq cleaned up all the tail, although Dippenaar and Oram put up some fight. The innings ended on a very imposing 483 off only 129 overs, with Mushtaq claiming 6/100.

The Mashonaland innings got off to a decent start, Eaton and Ul-Haq playing well for a 76 run stand before Weekes got Eaton for 25. Waragoda (14) and Burns (3) failed again, leaving the score on 134/3 with Ul-Haq occupying the crease well. He and SD Malik put on a valuable 108 run partnership, with Ul-Haq playing a magnificently grafted innings of 128 off 210 balls before Weekes took his second. Arnold only managed five before being caught behind off Daly, who quickly followed up with the wicket of Malik for 66, also caught behind.
Rogers and Carver both managed 30's, but the rest of the tail put up little resistance, bar Khan's 17 off 55. The visitors finished on 378, thanks to a clinical bowling display from Quinn, Daly and Weekes who each picked up three wickets, giving Jamaica a big lead of 105.

The Mashonaland bowlers got them off to a good start, pegging Jamaica back to 4/62. Sami claimed first innings hero Jadhav, with Khan picking up Tennyson and Pears, and Mushtaq with Powar for 34. Thankfully for the home crowd, keeper Naidu, fresh from his 50 and five catches in the first innings, played a sensible innings, combining with Navqi (27) and Dippennaar (20), both of whom were out to Mushtaq, who also took Oram for 7. Weekes only managed 7 not out before Jamaica declared, leaving Naidu on 65 not out and the score on 201/7, a lead of 306, Mushtaq again starring with 4/64.

The Mashonaland scorecard from the second innings was bad reading for the visitors. Ul-Haq was gone for only three off 25 balls as Oram got his first wicket in the match. Waragoda was run out for 21, greatly reducing his chances of re-selection in the Zimbabwean squad for next year, and Eaton was stumped off Quinn for 36, leaving the score on 3/73, leaving Mashonaland needing 233 with 7 wickets in hand. The middle and lower order, which have saved this team on many occasions, put up almost no fight as they crumbled. Burns was gone for 14, Malik for a duck, and Rogers, Carver, Mushtaq and Khan all for sub ten scores. The experienced Arnold tried to hang on and salvage a draw but found himself running out of partners, and was eventually stumped for 41. Mashonaland stuttered to 149, Jamaica notching up a well deserved win of 157 runs.

Mashonaland manager Andyc looked very glum in the post match conference as he said, "I think we really did just underestimate them a bit. Hats off to Jamaica for playing well. Mushtaq bowled beautifully and justified his re-selection for next season." The win for Jamaica leaves the two teams scrambling for 5th place, with the two sides seperated by only one point.

Jamaica 483
Jadhav 116, Pears 57, Tennyson 56
Mushtaq 6/100, Arnold 1/35

Mashonaland 378
Ul-Haq 128, Malik 66, Rogers 37
Weekes 3/42, Daly 3/75

Jamaica 7/201 dec.
Naidu 65*, Powar 34, Navqi 27
Mushtaq 4/64, Khan 2/56

Mashonaland 149
Arnold 41, Eaton 36, Waragoda 21
Oram 3/41, Navqi 2/27

Jamaica win by 157 runs

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After being dragged out of the pub for round 9 one day, Guyana manager Kyle Wright is back their again, following his side's humiliating loss to Leicestershire. People are starting to ask if there is a curse over the Guyana team. Once manager Wright stumbles out of the pub mid week he will consulting a witch doctor to see if that can fix the problem.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yorkshire's manager still in disbelief after that performance.

Will post a report soon but basically

Karnataka 245 all out.
A Kale 86 N.O.
E Howarth 33
T Ballard 5-67

Yorkshire 608 for 4 declared.
A Habib 194
W Tendulkar 140 N.O.
J Laney 102
Maxwell 1-33

Karnataka 146 all out.
H Wilkins 30
S Maxwell 26
T Ballard 5-42
D Gough 3-41

Yorkshire beat Karnataka by an innings and 217 runs.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
well for starters u didnt submit your team!
EDIT: OK, I should have checked before I posted. I can't believe I didn't submit my team for the biggest game of the season. Glad I lost now, because I would have killed myself if I won

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. P said:
EDIT: OK, I should have checked before I posted. I can't believe I didn't submit my team for the biggest game of the season. Glad I lost now, because I would have killed myself if I won
Thanx mate, you dont know how happy i was to see you didnt submit your side... I was so sure you were gonna whoop me, with the pressure off the boys really stepped up...

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
After being dragged out of the pub for round 9 one day, Guyana manager Kyle Wright is back their again, following his side's humiliating loss to Leicestershire. People are starting to ask if there is a curse over the Guyana team. Once manager Wright stumbles out of the pub mid week he will consulting a witch doctor to see if that can fix the problem.
I'll join ya.

My shout.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
we beat hampshire, heck yes we did. report later...
I admit the match was fixed.. Kurt bought me a bottle of henessey an i thought he was just bein a nice chap.. but as a matter o fact he got me wasted, so i couldnt intervene... and he payed my players in cash...............I call for the result to be reversed,..... if theres any sanity in this place :O

Slats4ever

Bomb Explodes in Mumbai's Hands

The Western Province batting line up has been like a time bomb all season. After 8 rounds of poor performances with the top order all averaging under 40 round 9 saw everything click for Province and what a time for it to happen.

Bowling first on a lively track Mumbai were left wrangling as they lost 3 wickets with the score on 34 and the match now an uphill battle. Your Goud staged the only strong hand of the innings with a gallant 70 not out but the Province pace battery flexed it's muscles with Kumble and Tate sharing 5 between them and Samaraweera doing some damage as well taking 3. The total of 180 was just what Slats had ordered as it meant he took 4 very valuable bowling bonus points from the innings.

After a shakey start both Birch and Ghambir settled down into a dangerous pattern. Picking runs up at ease and cruising to 151 when a tired Birch holed out to Pushpakamara in the deep. However the breakthrough and joy was shortlived as Farq Funston went to town accompanying Ghambir as he passed 100. Just as Ghambir looked set to really go on he also gave away his wicket on 122, however Province already had established a hand lead and only 2 down. The situation was then right for Rabbi Llewellyn to finally come back in and find some form before the crucial final two rounds and he didn't dissapoint as he and Farq both passed hundered and added over 200 for the third wicket and pushed the lead over 250. Both players were dismissed within 50 runs of eachother which lead to a declaration with Province in the fantastic position of 4-577, a whopping 397 in front.

With little to bat for Mumbai showed the home fans the last of their talents this summer with the openers at least providing some joy as they put on 124, however once Friend was introduced to the attack it was all downhill as the all rounder picked up 3 quick wickets and reduced Mumbai to 3-143. The middle order was then exposed to some fantastic bowling from Western Province who steam rolled Mumbai with Eddie Tate starring taking 4-48, sending Mumbai to an embaressing inning and 165 run defeat.

After coming into the round in 4th place WP now find themselves on top of the table by 2 points going into the final round and the form they displayed would suggest they may well stay there.

Slats4ever "To be honest I'm not surprised. I was waiting for this one. During the week I really gave the boys a serve and told them to pull their fingers out and they did"

The Baconator

With Karachi boasting a 100% record in the 4 day arena, the experts gave Tasmania little hope in keeping their promotion hopes alive with a victory.

On a sunny morning Tasmania won the toss and Murray Goodwin sent Karachi again, having faith in his bowling attack. Sammels grabbed an early breakthrough with the score on 8, Khan caught at short fine leg attempting to sweep. After Manhus and Ghulam Ahmed progressed to the 38 Sammels claimed both scalps in quick succession, to leave Karachi in a spot of bother at 54-3. Sardesai and Cooke rebuilt well, playing some fluent shots, predominantly off the seam bowlers. Cooke, however played one shot too many and was well caught at gully off Rice. Sardesai, closed in on 3 figures in a partnership with Dharmani until the latter was trapped in front by Akram. Sardesai, on 95 went for the big shot off Sammels to bring up his hundred but missed, and was stumped by Banks. Sammels wrapped up the tail well, finishing with figures of 8-98 with Karachi totalling 308.

Tasmania's openers started aggressively, Midlane dominating a partnership of 60 before his partner, Charlton nicked one to slip. Rudolph joined Midlane at the crease and carried on in the same vein, scoring 48 off 49 balls before being caught behind. Midlane was joined at the crease by his captain. Now, Tasmania's 2 best batsmen were together, with the chance of really taking the game away from the opposition. Goodwin send out a clear message of intent straight away, smashing his first ball away square on the offside. The boundaries flowed, as the 2 players eased the game away from Karachi. Midlane brought up his century, his 3rd of the season, with an elegant cover drive. Goodwin eventually departed for 75, and was followed shortly after by Symonds for a disappointed 4. Sharma pushed up the order, compiled a half century, working well with the lower order after Midlane was stumped, with Tasmania finishing with a lead of 110. karachi's bowlers were on the whole expenisive, with an innings run rate of over 4 runs per over, but Mishra and Matthie shared 4 wickets apiece.

Big scores from Karachi's top order were required to give them a sniff of winning the game. Tasmania had other ideas however as Hardwick, Sammels and Sharma reduced Karachi to 81-4. The only real contribution with the bat came from Dharmani, whose 62 lacked any support. Sammels impressed once again with the ball, taking 4 wickets, with the others shared around.

Only the most optimistic would have given Karachi hope of bowling Tasmania out for under 92, and sure enough Tasmania knocked off the runs with relative ease, losing 3 wickets. A comfortable victory for Tasmania, ending Karachi's 100% record, and setting up a fascinating match next round with play-off rivals Auckland.

Karachi 308 all out. Sardesai 95 Cooke 57 Kaye 51*, Sammels 8-98
Tasmania 418 all out. Midlane 158 Goodwin 75 Sharma 52. Mishra 4-76 Matthie 4-106
Karachi 202 all out. Dharmani 62, Sammels 4-27
Tasmania 93-3. Charlton 41*, Silva 2-38

Manager's comment: It was a great win today, against the strongest opposition in the division, and a great way for us to bounce back from the thumping they gave us in OD last week. But now we've got to look forward to the match with Auckland, effectively a play-off for the play-off.