• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Four Day Round 9 Reports

nibbs

International Captain
lord_of_darkness said:
I admit the match was fixed.. Kurt bought me a bottle of henessey an i thought he was just bein a nice chap.. but as a matter o fact he got me wasted, so i couldnt intervene... and he payed my players in cash...............I call for the result to be reversed,..... if theres any sanity in this place :O
oh come on, reuben. you know this isn't true

cbuts

International Debutant
Can Western Australia Aviod Automatic Relegation?

The big question in Perth at the moment is can Western Australia win their 3rd consecutive 4day match and aviod the wooden spoon? if the team wins next week, it should see them come 2nd to last and into the promotion relegation playoff match. 2 weeks ago this seemed an impossible dream. 2 rounds ago WA were in the dumps. with only one win from 7 outings and coming up against the top team in the division, many expected an embarrassing score line.

but thans to the rookie sensation, Jenkins 3-29, and the spin majic of Rizan 3-44, WA dissmised ACT for their lowest score of the season. the problem this season in Perth has not been the bowling, the problem has been in the batting. prior to this game only 3 centuries had been scored, but WA's keeper, Ronchi, steeped up to make it 4 as he blasted a brilliant 115 not out. as the team went on to score 296. in ACT second innings Jenkins again stepped up, claiming 5-47, as WA dissmissed ACT for 199. this left a total of just 92 for WA to chase. WA accomplished this with the lose of 5 wickets.

and so to the 9th round. WA needing to win to have any chance of avioding the wooden spoon. the team had some new found confidence, they even won their first OD game, only to loose it in the court room on a tecnacallity. the weeks training had been intense and the newly found confidence was more evident here than even at pre season training.

NSW won the toss, and on a hard and fast pitch, with a tinge of green in it, NSW decided to bat. with the over head cloud cover this decision seemed ludicrous. and that man again, Jenkins along with Sullivan fully exploited the conditions to make NSW look silly. jenkins took 4-46 and sullivan 4-47 as NSW were dissmissed for 150. but again the batting for WA let down the bowlers, only Chougale and Hayward stood up for WA with the bat, both men scoring 50's. WA managed to limp through to 238 and a lead of 88.

NSW needed a big effort with the bat, bat again they were destroyed by Sullivan and Jenkins. Sullivan took the first 3 wickets of the innings to leave NSW in taters at 26-3. sullivan ended up with 4-43 and Jenkins 3-45, to dismiss NSW for 198. this left WA the vry modest total of 92 to chase, a total they reached with only 2 wickets down.

So can WA aviod thethe wooden spoon, probally not, but they have given them selves a chance, something they didnt bother doing at the start of the season.

MOM - J Sullivan

thierry henry

International Coach
The bottom half of the D3 table is incredibly tight and tense going into the last round. Worcestershire missed a golden opportunity to get themselves into a position of relative safety, losing by 52 runs to Canterbury. Typically, the bowlers turned in a decent performance, but the batting line-up just wasn't strong enough.

cometer

State Regular
Leicestershire crash through Guyana

In a match that was important to both sides Leicestershire made the most of it by completing a thrilling performance (like they did against Jamaica in round 2) to win by an innings and with results falling their way are now sitting 1st :D in both forms going into the final round. The victory was astonishing with Piggott chipping in with more valuable runs and all the bowlers contributing and taking their fair share of wickets. The Leicestershire manager was delighted, "I certainly wasn't expecting that" was all he could come up with after the match. This leaves Leicestershire 1st in both forms and could quite possibly take the rare double if results fall their way. A win against Worcestershire should be enough to claim the one day title but you can never rule out ACT, who play Hampshire. Then in the final round of the four day season Leicestershire play Free State in what should be another cracking game. The next two weeks are going to be crucial only time will tell how the table ends up. Been an extremely interesting season.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Massive victory for Yorkshire in round 9 over Karnataka.
Yorkshire got their 3rd win of the season in 4d with an innings and 217 run win over Karnataka. Karnataka won the toss and batted first, the top order getting starts but not going on, except Kale who remained 86 not out.
Once the first three were out, the rest followed quickly, save Jones (26) and Karnataka were all out 245. T Ballard was the chief destroyer picking up 5-67, well backed up by the other bowlers who shared the wickets.
To say Yorkshire's batting this season has been fairly poor would be an understatement.
However this was not to be, as openers Laney and Habib smacked a 202 run opening partnership - a record for Yorkshire - to start things off very well.
Weir came in, after Laney was out for 102, looking for his first century this season but managed another half century with 53 before getting out.
W Tendulkar showed why he's Yorkshire's best batsman and a class player with 140 not out.
Habib was out next, with another record for the highest individual score for Yorkshire, with 194 off 371. Boxall missed out on big runs with 31 and Yorkshire declared 4 for 608 with De Silva not out 28.
Yorkshire then got on with ripping apart the Karnataka batting line up.
Gough, Simpson and Nazir took care of the top 5 batsmen for 90 then Ballard ran through the tail picking up another 5 with Yorkshire's first 10 wicket haul of the season, and securing an innings and 217 run win.
This also gives us a slim chance of staying in Division 2, provided we beat Mumbai next round and then the 2nd placed team in Division 3.