• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mid Season Report Cards

cometer

State Regular
Very well done. The bowling issue has always been a problem since i've been manager and its slowly getting better but should be stronger next season with Guy most definitely joining. After 2 straight 6th place finishes in FC its good to finally see the other end of the table. Piggott's been rather disappointing this season but plenty of time left to turn it around.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No excuses for Auckland this season. Due various reasons, I didn't invest the time needed into the running of the club earlier in the season. My fault.

However, since returning full-time to the helm, I've managed to turn the ship around partly. Certainly playing as a unit at the moment. The bowling hasn't clicked as yet, but with Plummer back from injury, it shouldn't be long now.

Simon

Northerns
With the addition of a brand new division this year South African side Northerns get their first taste of WCC. Under the guidance of manager Michael Wilson they have gone from potentially mid table strugglers to four day favourites. When news came through that Northerns would be joining WCC Wilson was given the job of assembling a squad that could win trophies. Already hes won 80% of First Class matches. The hardest thing would be to find young blood and he did right away with the addition to the squad of talented rookie T Orton. He was also approached by South Australia Keeper D Dawson about moving to the new club, a move which a proved successful already. The keeper as assumed the captaincy recently and looks set to lead his club to their first ever title. Their round four win over the talented Chittagong line up showed just what they can do. Guys like Rudolph, Gavaskar and Dawson all scoring runs while former Lancashire bowler W Pointer and veteran K Khan took the wickets. It shows their good depth in the longer version of the game, they have the strongest squad in the division but manager Wilson will be wary of whats to come next season, he will know they have to add a bit more to their performances now.
Northers are currently tied on point for 2nd position in one day and are in with a real shot of double promotion. Their form has been indifferent and are lacking the killer punch. Its fair to say the bowlers havent converted their four day form into the one day game, but if they can improve just a little bit they may find themselves in that second spot after 10 rounds. If you are a Northerns fan you would consider their round one win over Barbados as the finest one of the season so far. The very first WCC game for both teams went the way of the Africans as they chased 208 to win in fine fashion. Afzaal made a match winning 90 not out after Anjum took 3/29 earlier in the day. Dawson's 136 in the round five clash with Galle was the most impressive individual performance so far, Anjum again took three wickets that day.

One to Watch: D Dawson, wicketkeeper, captain and opening batsman. What else can he take on? now at his third WCC club his form this season has been better than ever, he forms part of a well balanced top order but his experience will prove invaluable on the run home. It will be interesting to see if any parts of his game crack due to the pressure.
Predicted Finish: Four Day: 1st One Day: 3rd
Grading: A

Gauteng
Initially expected to be one of the front runners for this seasons crown they havent let anyone down. Three very good wins have enhanced the reputation of manager Xavier Rose and the club in general. They have a great blend of experience and youth. Guys like Maher and Cullinan do the job like you would expect while young players such as Beresford and Karthik add excitment and entertainment into the batting line up. The big round five win showcased their abilities perfectly, in the process of making a massive 505 Karthik scored 130 and Bacher 83. However mot of the players got amongst the runs showing their great depth with the willow. Then with the ball Pandit, Lee and Cole all grabbed some wickets each showing they have more than one player willing to stand up on any given day. Perhaps more than any other division six team they can cope with injuries and form loss, new teams always suffer both of these so i'll be interested to see what kind of impact it trully does have.
They've also done a pretty reasonable job in one day cricket. On one hand you could say they should be occupying a top two spot but you have to give credit to the teams above them. They have generally won the matches you would have expected but in others they havent performed all that well. The great round four win over Barbados was the highlight for mine. B Lee taking 6/14 in a totally dominant performance can only be topped by his 7/25 against Northerns! The 97 made by former Queensland opener J Maher was another top innings in a long list of highlights for Gauteng this season. Bacher's 130 in round one against Divisional leaders Lahohre was easily the finest innings thus far, perhaps if they had of won that match the table would look very different. With still a long way to go they have many things that could go their way i hope they can have a strong end of season and set up a great future for this club.

One to Watch: B Lee, the aussie fast bowler hs been a great addition to the Gauteng side already. After being told he was no longer need at Colts he was welcomed with open arms in South Africa, his performances are vital to their chances in the last ten weeks of the season, i have a feeling there will be more ups than downs for him and the club.
Predicted Finish: Four Day: 3rd One Day: 2nd
Grading: B

Chittagong
The first Bangladesh team in WCC and they didnt take long to make their mark. Round two against Barbados 40 year old opener M Abedin became the first player in WCC history to score a triple century when he scored 305 not out in a total of 615. Abedin who has since announced his retirement for the end of this season will long be remembered despite only playing one season in the game. Originally considered the worst team in the division Chittagong have played well above their weight. Smart management early in the peice got some good players into the team such as Indulkar and Farhat as well as the emergence of young opener V Hurley. The bowling lead by Arafat, Walker and Fanning has been reasonable without setting the world on fire. They are all genuine seamers who get the job done eventually, but i dont think we will see much fireworks from them this season. The batting is without doubt the strength, they lack a bit of depth so it will be tough over the next five weeks without injured star Abedin. With some good trading and smart draft picks i think season seven is where they will really shine, perhaps they can hold onto a top three position in four day this year but i wouldnt bank on it.
One of three teams stuck on three wins and two loses in one day cricket in the sixth division. They play pretty dour cricket at times and really struggle when the going gets tough. While most teams like to play a great attacking brand of cricket Chittagong have gotten into a habit of grinding their opponents into the ground. This is shown by the fact theyve only scored over 265 once this season, and that was on a belter of a pitch against Northers, a match they lost easily in the end. One day opener P Winstanley and V Hurley starred in their best win to date, a two wicket win in away against Barbados in round four. I have hopes this will launch their season again and they can come home with some really positive cricket. But the fact remains they will really miss Abedin and i dont think they have the depth to get through the tough times.

One to Watch: V Hurley, the youngster plays a vital role in both one day and four day teams. His input into the sides scores are crucial and thats never going to be more evident than over the next month. No side is out of the title chase yet so they will have to be on their game one way or the other.
Predicted Finish: Four Day: 4th One Day: 4th
Grading: B+

Lahore
The second pakistan side in WCC has shown glimpses of brilliance this season but not enough to have them higher than fourth place after five rounds. I expected more than just two wins at this stage of the season from the talented line up. They have a batting line up as good as many WCC teams but like a lot of other teams in the low divisions their bowling just isnt up to scratch. There id definately the core of a future great side here, Ali, Thornley and Adnan are all young guys with plenty potential. Those guys have already contributed some excellent scores in the opening rounds, including 141 not out on debut from Thornley. The teams first pick in last years draft hasnt let anyone down yet. They went on to lose that game, one i thought they should have won. It put themselves behind the eight ball straight away, but since then they have fought hard to sit fourth but only ten points from second. Fans had to wait until round four to see their first victory, on the back of centuries to Thornley and Ali they were able to post a big total. From there Galle were forced to bat twice with fast bowler U Gul taking eleven hard fought wickets. Two weeks later they won again, a hundred to Ackerman gave Lahore their second straight win and are poised to jump up the table in the next few rounds.
Five out of Five in one day cricket is all you can ask at this stage and Lahore have delivered. Competent batting displays followed by ruthless bowling performances have resulted in some excellent wins. Ali and Saravanan spearhead the batting line up in the fifty over game, this was evident in round four when both scored hundreds against a poor Galle side. Wicketkeeper A Halliwell kept their unbeaten record intact with a great 98 not out in what i am considering their best individual performance of the season so far. The bowling has been tight but doesnt have much strike power, but the batting is definately making enough runs to compensate that, im tipping Lahore's first ever peice of silverware this season.

One to Watch: A Ali, the young batsman has huge wraps on him. Hes already piling on the centuries particularly in one day cricket. Lahore will need more from in the coming weeks to ensure they move up the table in four day cricket. They definately have the team to get a top two spot and Ali needs to be one who leads them there.
Predicted Finish: Four Day: 2nd One Day: 1st
Grading: C-

Barbados
Its been a tough old season for Barbados. They are struggling from a lack of depth and confidence in the first eleven. Its evident they have the capabilites to play some good cricket but we just havent seen it often enough. They had a good first up win over Northerns in which young S Kotak who made 76 and all rounder T Bradshaw 103 adnd 8 wickets lead from the front. The two run was a great flatform to start their season but instead of moving foward it deflated. They only managed to put more win on the board since. That came in impressive fashion against Gauteng in round four. Bradshaw again showed his class with five first innings wickets, H Venkat showed his potential with six of his own the the African's second dig. A change of managers recently has breathed life into this team, Dutchman Tarick Weber will be hoping for some positive results before the end of the season and then he can look foward to a more enjoyable season seven.
Much of the same in one day cricket where they have enjoyed only one win. The round two win over Galle only patched over the problems with the fifty over team. A big hundred to Guneratne saved them from embarassing defeat. 119 not out from the experienced opener lead his side to their only win so far, Kotak also managed 3/50 in the seven wicket win. The big disapointment so far has been the form of English international K Pietersen. Appointed captain recently hes struggled for form in both versions of the game, he's their leading bat so if Barbados are to put together some more respectable results he will need to perform. Former South Australian fast bowler E Graham is leading the attack this season, his performances have been steady but id suggest he isnt the man to lead them into future campaigns. Let's just hope another win or two can save them from the bottom come seasons end.

One to Watch: T Bradshaw, the all rounder has been amongst their best with both bat and ball so far this season. In such a close competition a win or two can really get you back on track, hes definately guy that will give Barbados a chance in every game. He definately needs support with the ball though.
Predicted Finish: Four Day: 5th One Day: 5th
Grading: C-

Galle
The Sri Lankan sides have had a torrid start to their WCC career. Having only won the one four day game, and that was by forfeit, some people are already calling them the worst team ever. But i dont think thats called for yet as there is still a long way to go this season. There is potential in the team starting with batsmen Gibbs, Jones and Kitson. They are without doubt the weakest team currently, but that can change easily enough with a couple of wins. They have some matches coming up soon in which they have a real chance but they must start believing they can win them. Seasoned keeper/batsman T Arasu has been a stand out for them. He makes plenty of runs and always gives his side a solid contribution from behind the stumps, S Highsmith has also played a number of good innings, the best coming against Gauteng when he scored 93 in round two. Its certainly a long way home for Galle but with a likely first draft pick coming in the off season they should be able to strengthen their squad quite well.
Five loses have also come the way of the one day team. They just dont have the quality to compete in this competition and you can tell are already praying for this season to end. But with only five more games of carnage to come they need to get more positives out of it than negatives. If some of their players can put in good performances it will give next season's squad a lot of confidence, its also hard to see them attracting players to come to the club if things are in disaray. The round four clash with Lahore showed there is some talent in the side. They posted above 300 for the first time ever but still fell 32 runs short of the massive target. H Gibbs scored a brilliant 151 not out in a stand out performance.

One to watch: H Gibbs, their best batsman andmost experienced. He has to get more big scores if Galle are to win any matches. Its evident they dont have the bowlers so Gibbs needs to play a big role in scoring 20 or 30 runs than normal every week.
Predicted Finish: Four Day: 6th One Day: 6th
Grading: D

Simon

And thats all of them folks. I hope everyone has enjoyed reading them, i had good fun writing them, ive tried to make them as accurate as possible, but i accept there will be mistakes and faults in there.

I also hope everyone can get something out of their own write up, i may have been a little harsh with some teams but ive tried to look at the postives and way teams can improve.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No excuses for Auckland this season. Due various reasons, I didn't invest the time needed into the running of the club earlier in the season. My fault.

However, since returning full-time to the helm, I've managed to turn the ship around partly. Certainly playing as a unit at the moment. The bowling hasn't clicked as yet, but with Plummer back from injury, it shouldn't be long now.
My apologies Liam - my cover management wasn't up to scratch.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The Lions have made a good OD Start, 4 wins and 2 losses I believe.
In 4D we've only picked up the one victory, this weekend against Kent but the race for the 5th place is well and truly on.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Gauteng have done good but I too expected better. The batting hasn't really been consistent enough but there have been flashes of brilliance. I just hope they can pick up some form such as the likes of Maher and Beresford at the top. The bowling's been good. I'd like better but I can't complain much.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
My apologies Liam - my cover management wasn't up to scratch.
No no, I'm not blaming you. Even before I stepped down temporarily, I wasn't sharp enough.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Simon mate, they are really well written! Congratulations, I'm sure they took quite a while to do, but it is most definitely appreciated by all. Really good reads there mate.

Sincerely

Worst team in WCC history.