• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Match Reports - Four Day - Round 4

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ND Record shock victory

Yes thats right, ND actually won a match! an inspired decision to send all rounder B Perera up to three in the batting order paid off as ND beat free state in a close game. A century in the second innings to Perera was the highlight for the kiwi side as they jump to 4th in the table and push towards a top 2 finish. Smith, Holland and Warner also got amongst the runs.

Bowlers played well with Lacey and Saeed the pick.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guyana Move To Top of The Table With Comfortable Win

Satti and Jayawardne combined with ball and bat respectively to give Guyana a comfortable win over Leicestershire and an important lead of the Division Five four day table.

Leicestershire batted first on a rare beautiful English day and after an impressive opening partnership between Brindell (39) and Brown (38) they were rattled by a very quick and menacing spell of bowling from Satti. Returning for his second spell after using the new ball, Satti (5-50) found bounce and movement in the pitch that wasn't evident in his opening spell. In no time Leicestershire had fallen from 0-85 to be 5-113 and most importantly for Guyana batting superstar Wilkes was in the pavillion for 11. After a middle order revival of sorts that saw Underwood (54) pass the half century mark the spin twins of London (3-46) and Zulch (2-19) combine to wrap up the tail and leave Leicestershire with 230 runs to defend.

Guyana started their innings just after tea and were in early trouble at 3-62. It was then that Jayawardne (201*) and Jenkins (30) steadied the ship in a 63 run stand, however Guyana were not out of the woods yet, still in an unakward position of 4-135. It was then that Vernon, fresh from his maiden century against Northern Districts joined his captain and proved that Guyana have the strongest middle order in division five, he compiled an elegant 77 in a 155 run partnership. After Vernon fell was when Jayawardne took charge, he combined with de Villiers (53) who got his first half century of the season in a partnership of 122. Jayawardne continued to punish the Leicestershire bowlers as he lead Guyana to 511 all out and a 281 run lead.

Needing 282 to force Guyana to bat again Leicestershire again showed promising signs with an opening partnership of 121 between Brindell (47) and Brown (65). But, it was that man again Satti (4-57) has he combined with Engineer (2-56) to remove the top order and have Wilkes (2) back in the pavillion for a double failure. Manjrekar (52) tried his best to make Guyana bat again, but the Guyana bowlers had too much for the Leicestershire tail as Guyana wrapped up victory by an innings and 17 runs and with Free State losing their clash against Northern Districts Guyana moved to the top of the table.

Leicestershire 230
Underwood 54
Satti 5-50
London 3-46

Guyana 511
Jayawardne 201*
Vernon 77
de Villiers 53
Gallage 6-110

Leicestershire 264
Brown 65
Manjrekar 52
Satti 4-57

MOTM: Y Satti

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sorry graham i didnt have ur correct email, was bound to happen with all the info blewy and i have had to swap. if anyone else didnt get it let me know.

Graham

3rd Umpire
broncoman said:
sorry graham i didnt have ur correct email, was bound to happen with all the info blewy and i have had to swap. if anyone else didnt get it let me know.
Just got them Simon. Thanks. I really do appreciate your efforts. :D

andyc

Mashonaland notch up first four-day win in exhibition match

Mashonaland recorded their first four-day win of the season against an understrength Jamaica side in front of their home crowd in an exhibition match. A failure to submit a team on behalf of Jamaica meant that the visitors were playing without three of their regulars, and were easily rolled over by the Zimbabweans. Despite it being an exhibition match, the Mashonaland were under strict directions from manager Andyc to treat it as a real game. This they certainly did, with the largest Mashonaland individual and innings score this season made, as well as the first five-for and first hattrick. Mashonaland captain Saqlain Mushtaq won the toss and sent in the visitors, eager to bundle out the visitors early.

It was not long before the opener Khoda, not a regular for Jamaica, was dimissed by Sami for 14 with the score on 22. The next batsmen in, H Pears, formed a decent 96-run partnership with Y Tennyson before Mushtaq dismissed both of them within 20 runs of each other. A Navqi (70) tried his best to find a partner as the next two batsmen failed to capitalise on starts before finding themselves back in the dressing room. Thankfully for the visitors, keeper M Salman (61 off 74) hung on with some aggresive batting, taking a particular liking to all-rounder Rogers, his six overs going for 56. After Navqi edged a Sami outswinger, K Weekes (33) batted with Salman as well as one could expect a tailender to, before Mushtaq had his way with both of them. The rest of the tail put up little resistance as Jamaica spluttered to 355 all out, with Mushtaq (5/40) claiming Mashonaland's first five-for.

Promoted to opener in place of out of form Malik, Arnold hardly fared any better as he was caught in front in the first over. Fortunately for the home crowd, Vince Waragoda (143)played another magnificent innings, teaming up with Eaton (42) for a 111 partnership before H White had Eaton caught in the slips cordon. Number four Ul-Haq (175) then combined with Waragoda, and made his first century this season a big one. After a 150 run stand, Waragoda fell to White. The next two batsmen Burns (29) and Rogers (32) failed to make any substantial runs after Ul-Haq was out. Mashonaland wicketkeeper Quentin Carver (47*) played another fine innings from the lower order, his 3rd not-out bringing his average to a formidable 172. The tail hardly troubled the bowlers, except for 11th man Khan playing a frustrating knock of 20. By the time they were all out, Mashonaland had amassed 539, their highest score of the season, with K Daly taking 3/96.

Trailing by 184 runs, the Jamaican batsmen had to bat incredibly well to post a competitive score for Mashonaland to chase. What followed instead was a humiliating batting collapse. Bowling to an attacking field with four slips and a gully, Khan drew first blood with Khoda caught at first slip for 18, and Sami soon followed, having Tennyson caught for 8, leaving the score on 2/30. A Navqi, topscorer for Jamaica in the first innings, managed a run a ball 26 before he too was caught in the slips. With the score on 4/68, Ramanayake, wicketless in the first innings, came on and soon dismissed Power, Salman and Weeks for sub-10 scores, and Jamaica had stumbled to 7/109. Throughout this, however, Boeta Dippenaar batted courageously with a not-out 41 off 57, but he failed to do any real damage with Mushtaq cleaning up with the last three batsmen with an impressive hattrick, all of whom were caught Jamaica were all out for 140, and Mashonaland won their first four-day game of the season.

In the post-match conference, Mashonaland manager Andyc said, "I know it was an exhibition match, but I told the boys they were to take it seriously anyway, which they definitely did. Saqlain Mushtaq had a stunning game, as did Mohammad Ul-Haq, and Vince Waragoda again played an incredible innings."

Jamaica 355
A Navqi 70, H Pears 68
S Mushtaq 5/40, K Sami 3/83

Mashonaland 538
M Ul-Haq 175, V Waragoda 143
K Daly 3/96, H White 2/84

Jamaica 140
Dippenaar 41*, A Navqi 26
S Mushtaq 3/22, C Ramanayake 3/23

andyc

congratulations kyle. that's jayawardne's second double century, isn't it?

andyc

Mister Wright said:
yep 204 v Jamaica and 201* v Leicestershire.
wow. am not looking forward to playing you next round (in both one day and four day!)

Mister Wright

andyc said:
wow. am not looking forward to playing you next round (in both one day and four day!)
Neither are we. You guys have shown some guts over the last few weeks. We won't be taking Mashonaland easy, I can assure you of that.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I won because the other team forfeited despite playing out their first innings, and my side getting bowled out for combined less, I think...

What?

Cloete

International Captain
NZTailender said:
I won because the other team forfeited despite playing out their first innings, and my side getting bowled out for combined less, I think...

What?
Basically if a team forfeits you automatically win the match. The match is always played though for the sake of bonus points in 4D and run rates in OD. Also it means every team plays 10 matches and you get stats for your players.

So everything about the match counts, except at the end of the day you get the points for the win.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Ach, we lost again.

Man of the Match: Arjen Robben(SA) 12-102

(This isn't really a match report, I just can't get much creative insperation from a wet fish display like this)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Cloete said:
Basically if a team forfeits you automatically win the match. The match is always played though for the sake of bonus points in 4D and run rates in OD. Also it means every team plays 10 matches and you get stats for your players.

So everything about the match counts, except at the end of the day you get the points for the win.
Oh, okay. Neat! Thanks for clearing up my confusion :)

My team played...not so good. Shall improve the lineup for O/D...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
F*ck.

Why? Of all the matches we could have let slip having a lead of 46 on first innings and the other side 8/195 in their second dig, this is the worst...

Nothing more I can say:@

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Simon, or anyone else ! could you please sent me the scorecards from my Barbados match(incase you guys dont notice im the new Barbados manager :D)

andyc

kwek said:
Simon, or anyone else ! could you please sent me the scorecards from my Barbados match(incase you guys dont notice im the new Barbados manager :D)
congratulations on being promoted. i just sent you the scorecards

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
In a closely fought game at The Oval, South Australia got into more trouble than they really needed, but yet again Oliver Snow was the hero - with the bat. Winning the toss and bowling first, captain Khanderao Rangnekar had to see Surrey run away with it to 149 for 2, all-rounder Graham Wagg doing the brunt of the damage with a splendid 76. However, Arjen Robben and James Anderson, bowling together with fiery pace, wished otherwise. The last eight wickets fell for 43 runs, including golden ducks for Denny and Tino Best, and Robben finished with six for 63 off 16 overs, Anderson with three for 36 off 12. Rangnekar could live with Snow going wicketless.

In reply, solid partnerships carried South Australia just past 200, a slender lead of 14, but the pace and bounce of Tino Best always had the batsmen worried. Rahul Dravid, the best batsman, made only 45, but the opening partnership of 55 between Robben and Snow was arguably the most useful. Surrey's second innings started like the first, James Anderson ripping out a couple of wickets but looking somewhat inconsistent, but Robben and Snow - this time bowling together - induced a Surrey collapse from 143 for 3 to 150 for 8. Snow, who had a terrible day with the ball on a non-spinning pitch, got his reward with two wickets, but bowled terribly poorly at the tail and it was eventually Robben - coming back for his second spell of the day - who removed Shrinivas and Tully and bowled Surrey out for 183, to end with match figures of 12 for 102.

South Australia blazed out, with Robben and Snow hitting 17 for 1 in the first five overs before Robben edged Best to first slip Arlott. A great partnership between Snow and Rahul Dravid, however, saw the score to 82 for 2 (Dravid hitting 40 off 35 balls!), and despite wickets tumbling around Snow, he kept his head and made his highest score in first-class cricket this season with 69 not out. South Australia scraped a four-wicket win over the bottom team, with manager Mørk admitting that "our batting is really struggling at the moment, luckily Olly (Snow, ed. note) and Arjen are bowling well and we've got James who's also banging it in really well and not getting too much reward for it. But against Tamil Nadu, I think we need some really big partnerships, and not to slog it out like we did today."

In other matches, Tamil Nadu and Lancashire ran away with huge victories, and they look to rival each other for the title this year - South Australia's poor start means they have to look to the CW Cup and the OD league.

Tamil Nadu 60
Lancashire 55
South Australia 41
Queensland 26
Kent 20
Surrey 8