• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How are the sceptics feeling?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Damn, was just about to edit that post adding a "yeah, I got your jest BTW". Too late.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I feel old knowing those names.
:)
Its a lot to do with the lack of interest in reading the older books. When I was seventeen, I had read half a dozen books by Cardus and knew a lot about cricketers from Hobbs', WG's and even the pre test match eras.

I feel it is very unfortunate that so little interest remains in the history of the game. It is fine to have heroes from your own times as we had the Jaisimhas, Durrani's, Borde's and Manjrekars but it is even better to have your heroes amongst the Trumpers, the Gunns, the Jacksons and The Spofforths.

Knowing Larwood only from his 78 test wickets at 28 apiece or from the drop in Bradman's average by nearly a half is nothing short of being so very sad..

Knowing Merchant only from his first class average and CK Nayudu from his aggressive hitting is bad enough, not knowing Professor Deodhar at all is a monumental tragedy.

sunilreddy

Banned
If that's Fanie De Villiers I can say that I've never seen him bowl in my life which is a great shame as I've heard that he was a top bowler.

Talking about PS de Villiers, he is the most dangerous and decorated fast bowlers I have ever seen.I think he would have extended his career a little further. He has Pace, Bounce, Swing all three combined in one ball. It's great to watch him bowl.

Last edited: