• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tournament XI

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Matthew Hayden
Gautum Gambhir
Yuvraj Singh
Misbah-ul-Haq
Craig McMillan
MS Dhoni (wk) (c)
Shahid Afridi
Daniel Vettori
Stuart Clark
Umar Gul
RP Singh

There are a few contentious spots. Irfan Pathan, Nathan Bracken, Mohammad Asif and Morne Morkel are all in with a shot for a bowling slot, while Kevin Pietersen or Shoaib Malik could slot into the middle order, or Sanath Jayasuriya, Herschelle Gibbs, Brendon McCullum could open. I'd really like some thoughts on this if possible guys, could be an interesting discussion.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Matthew Hayden
Gautum Gambhir
Yuvraj Singh
Misbah-ul-Haq
Craig McMillan
MS Dhoni (wk) (c)
Shahid Afridi
Daniel Vettori
Stuart Clark
Umar Gul
RP Singh

There are a few contentious spots. Irfan Pathan, Nathan Bracken, Mohammad Asif and Morne Morkel are all in with a shot for a bowling slot, while Kevin Pietersen or Shoaib Malik could slot into the middle order, or Sanath Jayasuriya, Herschelle Gibbs, Brendon McCullum could open. I'd really like some thoughts on this if possible guys, could be an interesting discussion.
Afridi batting that far up the order is worrisome for me, given his performance in the tournament itself, bowling wise he was great, the side just feels a little light with the bat. Afridi for Malik maybe?

Good squad IMO. Gilchrist and McCullum I feel would both have a good shout at taking it from Dhoni though, especially if Malik was in the squad.

Perm

Afridi batting that far up the order is worrisome for me, given his performance in the tournament itself, bowling wise he was great, the side just feels a little light with the bat. Afridi for Malik maybe?

Good squad IMO. Gilchrist and McCullum I feel would both have a good shout at taking it from Dhoni though, especially if Malik was in the squad.
I thought about that, but how often are you going to need your #7 to bat for any length of time in a twenty over match? Also, we need the 5th bowling option, which I suppose could be provided with a mix of Malik/Yuvraj/McMillan, although it would be significantly weaker.

McCullum was poor for the majority of the tournament IMO. Got a few unbeaten runs against Kenya that boosted his average, and scored slowly against Sri Lanka, Pakistan and England. In reality, his only good game with the bat was against South Africa were he scored 38 from 26. Gilchrist is another possibility, although Dhoni's captaincy really swings it his way.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Better options than Dhoni as captain IMO, never been fond of the idea of wicketkeeping captains. He's done alright so far, but I wouldn't call him a good captain just yet.

I thought McCullum looked as good as he always does in T20, aggressive and quick between the wickets, but I think Hayden and Gambhir would be an excellent opening pair.

But lets say McCullum instead, which would free up Dhoni's position.

Matthew Hayden
Brendon McCullum (wk)
Chris Gayle (c?)
Shoaib Malik (c?)
Yurjav Singh
Misbah-ul-Haq
Craig McMillan
Daniel Vettori
Umar Gul
Stuart Clark
RP Singh

12th man Albie Morkel

Perm

Better options than Dhoni as captain IMO, never been fond of the idea of wicketkeeping captains. He's done alright so far, but I wouldn't call him a good captain just yet.
I would, I think he captained very well during the tournament, and that's all we have to judge him on. I'm not a big fan of captains who keep wicket either, and I beleive it will be hard for him to do so, especially when he is one of the premier batsman in his side. But he performed well, so I think he deserves the captaincy of this imaginary team :p

I thought McCullum looked as good as he always does in T20, aggressive and quick between the wickets, but I think Hayden and Gambhir would be an excellent opening pair.
McCullum always looks good, but as I said before, his productive was quite limited. Gambhir's knock in the final practically pushes aside any other options, unless he were to bat at #3.

But lets say McCullum instead, which would free up Dhoni's position.

Matthew Hayden
Brendon McCullum (wk)
Chris Gayle (c?)
Shoaib Malik (c?)
Yurjav Singh
Misbah-ul-Haq
Craig McMillan
Daniel Vettori
Umar Gul
Stuart Clark
RP Singh

12th man Albie Morkel
I thought about having Gayle in the team, he did score a century against South Africa and bowl four very tight overs against Bangladesh, but he only played two games which counted against him. He didn't captain either, Ramnaresh Sarwan did, so that wouldn't be a fair selection. Shoaib Malik is definitely in contention though. Albie Morkel played well against Bangladesh, superbly against England and kept his team in the hunt againts India. Definitely worth a look.

sunilreddy

Banned
Gambhir
Hayden
Malik(C)
Misbah
Mcmillan
Jayawardene
MSDhoni(wk)
Vettori
Gul
S.Clark
R.P.Singh
Morne.Morkel(12th man)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Hayden
Taylor (wk)
Yuvraj
Malik (coffee)
Misbah
McMillan
Afridi
Vettori
Clark
Gul
Singh

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I had posted a team immediately after the tournament ended on the semi-finals-final. Here it is again.

Here is my team of the WC Twenty 20 2007

1. Hayden
  2. Gayle
  3. Yuvraj
  4. Kemp
  5. Misbah
  6. Gilchrist (keeper)
  7. Afridi
  8. Vettori (captain)
  9. Clarke
  10. Gul
  11. RP Singh
On second thoughts I would replace Kemp with McMillan

Mister Wright

Love how Hayden has been selected in everyone's team after some were calling for his head after Australia's first game. :)

Julian87

State Captain
1 Matt Hayden
2 Chris Gayle
3 Brendon Taylor (+)
4 Yuvraj Singh
5 Misbah Ul Haque
6 Craig McMillan (c) (yep, I think he's that good, should open the bowling too tbh)
7 Shahid Afridi
8 Daniel Vettori
9 Stuart Clark
10 Umar Gul
11 RP Singh