• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Effigies burnt of Pakistani players

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
KARACHI: Minutes after Shoaib Malik's team lost the Twenty20 World Cup final to India in Johannesburg, Pakistan's angry cricket lovers burnt effigies of Younis Khan and Shahid Afridi to vent their anger.

In yet another incident that revealed that people here can be very unforgiving when it comes to conceding defeat against India, the incident occurred at the stadium where the Asian Football Confederation tournament is being played in Lahore these days.

Here in Karachi also, mobs in some places gathered to raise slogans against the Pakistani players particularly Afridi and Younis.

"What the hell! This is the second time we lost a match to India in the World Cup. Such a big match and such careless play from senior players like Younis and Afridi. It is so disappointing to lose like this to India," Kamil Butt said as his friends engaged in animated discussion on the final at a fast food restaurant.

Given the level of interest in the final, five-star hotels, fast food chains and small restaurants on Monday had all set up television screens and arranged special Iftaar menus to attract crowds as the people also broke fast during the match itself.

"We were so happy at half time because we restricted the Indians to just 157. On such a wicket we were sure Pakistan would finally beat India in a World Cup match," complained Shakir, a student.
IMO, if you are that mad at a Pakistan team after that performance, you shouldn't ever watch cricket again in your life.

R_D

International Debutant
IMO, if you are that mad at a Pakistan team after that performance, you shouldn't ever watch cricket again in your life.
i agree with you.
There so many idiots like this on both sides of the borders... its pretty sad.
I know same thing would've happend in India if they had lost as well.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Unfortunately that will cntinue to happen in Subcontinent.However still i feel better that some clowns are not accusing team of match fixing.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
i agree with you.
When will we ever learn,
when will we ever learn.

R_D

International Debutant
Unfortunately that will cntinue to happen in Subcontinent.However still i feel better that some clowns are not accusing team of match fixing.
Yeah true...... but wait few more days and some idiot will come up with that as well.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
i agree with you.
Actually i have never seen such a drama back home myself even though i lived there for 30 years, didn't even see ppl celebrating on streets after their team win matches against arch rivals.I just wonder how if i ever actually missed something??

Fusion

Global Moderator
Those people truly are idiots. Considering that President Musharaff is also the Patron of PCB, I say he should lock all of them up and throw away the keys! After the kind of year Pakistan cricket had, these players should be celebrated for what they achieved. A new captain, coach, vice captain, and even a few players that one had never heard of took Pakistan to the Final (and beat two pre-tournaments favs in Aus and SL along the way). That they lost is disappointing, but nothing to be ashamed off. I am proud of this team and generally have optimism for a bright future to come.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i don't wana say they are right or wrong but i wana add this that both afridi and younis played irresponsibly in the final... as sinor players they should have played with more responsibilities spacially afridi...he went for six in the first ball.... considering that how much pressure was out there and he had the ability to change the match....if he would have stayed in the wicket... instead hiting the first ball in the air

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disgraceful. In saying that, I don't expect any less from these moronic fans.

R_D

International Debutant
i don't wana say they are right or wrong but i wana add this that both afridi and younis played irresponsibly in the final... as sinor players they should have played with more responsibilities spacially afridi...he went for six in the first ball.... considering that how much pressure was out there and he had the ability to change the match....if he would have stayed in the wicket... instead hiting the first ball in the air
Thats the way Afridi plays.. sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn't.
I don't what there is to complain about. He hasn't learn to play responisbly in a decade so he's not likely to learn now.