• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Malik's comment after the game!!!

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
after the game Shoaib malik apologized for his teams failure to all "MUSLIMS" in the world. He pushed religion into the game, very bad. what do you guys feel?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
after the game Shoaib malik apologized for his teams failure to all "MUSLIMS" in the world. He pushed religion into the game, very bad. what do you guys feel?
Haha yeah, that was kinda' weird. Don't know what exactly he wanted to say, it might've been something that just came out in the wrong way. :unsure:

biased indian

International Coach

i dont think we need to discuss this thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

being a person coming from ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF PAKISTAN he is entitled to say that :)

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year

being a person coming from ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF PAKISTAN he is entitled to say that :)
No no, that isn't what he said though. He said something like, I'd like to thank all the muslim nations or something like that. But what he meant by that is what I want to know. He can say whatever he wants I don't care or am against anything, but I am just curious what he meant.

haroon510

International 12th Man
well i dont think he meant it that way...consdering that it came from shoaib who is not as religious as inzi and yousuf are...

anoop4real

U19 12th Man

His comment gave some hint like:-" all MUSLIMS in the world are supporting for PAKISTAN only"............this what I feel.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Whatever he wanted to say, he should have directed it to the Muslims of Pakistan, But he addressed it to the Muslims of World and that's where he crossed the line of stupidity and ignorance. Pakistan doesn't represent muslims of the world, there were two muslims in the Indian side and they were not supporting Pakistan in any way.

I really have no problem with them thanking God before the interview though, It is their personal choice and should be respected, there is no need to ridicule him or anyone for saying that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It was very odd to say the least.

I must say Afridi was really good in acknowledging the loss to India. I have much more respect for him as a person.

It was really nice to see Afridi and Harbhajan hugging each other very warmly after the match. For most people and players India Pakistan matches are still great pressure games but they have changed in a fantastic way allowing us to enjoy each others game, skills, company and friendship.

I wish our leaders had learnt this decades ago.

bond21

Banned
India v Pakistan matches are like Australia vs England.

Only India and Pakistan are evenly matched :P

haroon510

International 12th Man
It was very odd to say the least.

I must say Afridi was really good in acknowledging the loss to India. I have much more respect for him as a person.

It was really nice to see Afridi and Harbhajan hugging each other very warmly after the match. For most people and players India Pakistan matches are still great pressure games but they have changed in a fantastic way allowing us to enjoy each others game, skills, company and friendship.

I wish our leaders had learnt this decades ago.
nooooo afridi was saying to him " i will see in home series, i will hit u for six sixes this time.. last time u were lucky i manage only four of four" lol.... ya afridi was good in aknowledging the crowd and indian team's win... i felt like he didn't deserve it... guys like gul, misbah or even Gambir deserve it more than him.... i think what they wanted to do was to select someone who is fivorite in the crowd and whose style suits this type of game...they based their selection on that

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It was extremely stupid of Malik to have said that. Maybe he wanted to say something else and given his lack of proficiency in English, it came out the wrong way, we wil have to wait and see.

IF he did mean what he say, he is an absolute tool. Not only is it stupid that he thinks Muslims all over the world only support Pakistan but it is also stupid to assume that ONLY Muslims support Pakistan. Heck, I have rooted for Pakistan so many times in other games that it is not funny... He really deserves to be talked to if he did mean what he said.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably just said the wrong thing, hype of the moment and all that must've got to this head.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It was extremely stupid of Malik to have said that. Maybe he wanted to say something else and given his lack of proficiency in English, it came out the wrong way, we wil have to wait and see.

IF he did mean what he say, he is an absolute tool. Not only is it stupid that he thinks Muslims all over the world only support Pakistan but it is also stupid to assume that ONLY Muslims support Pakistan. Heck, I have rooted for Pakistan so many times in other games that it is not funny... He really deserves to be talked to if he did mean what he said
No it was very clear what he was wanting to say. And yes it looked very bad. I am sure it was not discussed by the anchors in the analysis afterwards only because ti would have made it very messy. Thy musthave realised this is something to be buried and limit the damage.

He made it sound as if Pakistan were playing on behalf of all the Muslims of the world and he owed an explanation to all the Muslims of the world as to why they lost and to assure them that they will come out on top next time around.

It had nothing but wrong connotations.

I was very dismayed because other than this it was a game played in the finest traditions of sportsmanship for which the Pakistani team deserves as much kudos as anyone else.

R_D

International Debutant
No it was very clear what he was wanting to say. And yes it looked very bad. I am sure it was not discussed by the anchors in the analysis afterwards only because ti would have made it very messy. Thy musthave realised this is something to be buried and limit the damage.

He made it sound as if Pakistan were playing on behalf of all the Muslims of the world and he owed an explanation to all the Muslims of the world as to why they lost and to assure them that they will come out on top next time around.

It had nothing but wrong connotations.

I was very dismayed because other than this it was a game played in the finest traditions of sportsmanship for which the Pakistani team deserves as much kudos as anyone else.
yeah it did sound bit like that.
I wonder how Danish Kaneria or Lawson would be feeling.
What about all the muslims in India that were supporting India.. FFS there were 2 muslims who were playing for India. I was with my muslim friends and luckliy we were just over the moon by India's win so didn't hear much of what they were saying, they would have been pretty pissed off about it as well.
Don't know where he got the impression that Pakistan were playing for all the muslims8-)
I do hope it was mistake and he was trying to say all the pakistani muslims.

I must say my respect for Afridi has gone up heaps for his interview and the way he acknowledged India's play as well. The way him and Harbhjan were hugging was great to see.
India, Pakistan matches are same, played with same spirit and hardness where noone wants to be the loser but without the nastiness that used to be around 90's. I remember many matches where it looked like players from each side was ready to kill the other and there would be alot of swearing etc. Good to see both teams get on so well.

Kriketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Come'on guys! He probably meants Pakistanis instead of Muslims. It slipped from him b/c of the lose or probabaly b/c of his own performance....its so obvious...tho he made a very foolish mistake, but then again mistake is a mistake.

Malik is a very nice, cool and calm guy, and he would never mean such a thing.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Could have been worse, he's not a politician, he's a cricket player.

Not like he was speaking at OPEC in Austria or anything.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
I'd like to think given his non-fluency in English and trying to talk quickly he meant Pakistanis all over the world and not Muslims... but non-fluency in English does not have anything to do with jumbling the words Pakistanis & Muslims... even if he didn't mean what people think it means,it sure made my neighbours here uneasy...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Come'on guys! He probably meants Pakistanis instead of Muslims. It slipped from him b/c of the lose or probabaly b/c of his own performance....its so obvious...tho he made a very foolish mistake, but then again mistake is a mistake.

Malik is a very nice, cool and calm guy, and he would never mean such a thing.
I think we should put it behind us. Its done and dusted. There is no other corroborative 'evidence' so lets just forget it.

Pakistan played a greatgame in great spirit and in a close game that anyone could have won, they just happened to lose it.

I remember when I was a kid, I used to go to watch these football tournaments like The Durand Cup in Delhi. The atmosphere was electric and the support for one's side was fanatical. It may be hard to believe todaybut in the early sixties the supporters of Mohun Bagan, Mohammaden Sporting, East Bengal, Hyderabad Police (later Andhra Police), Salgaonkar Goa etc went crazy shouting each other out. Imitially I used to be scared that those sitting close to me would become violent.

In all this there was one very fan, who had been coming for decades. Everyone knew him and he was a permanent fixtureand an icon. The cops and authorities allowed this man free access all across the ground. Maybe they didnt even charge him for his ticket. :)

Why I remember him today is that in a really close match between two top sides, he would suddenly stand up nd in his booming voice shout for all the thousands to hear him "Dono achhe , dono achhe" meaning botth are great both are great. It always brougfht smiles to everyone's face and the tensions eased perceptibly.

:)