• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Malik's comment after the game!!!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Why would he say something as silly as that? Why would he want to thank all Muslims of the world? Is Pakistan the "national" team for Muslims everywhere? And what about the religious minorities in Pakistan? How would they feel if they are segregated like this?

It is one thing to thank God but brandishing your religion at every opportunity (like most Pakistani players do) is very questionable.

By making such a stupid comment, he is only portraying Islam as an elitist religion and the match as being Muslims vs Kaffirs (non-believers of Islam).
It was a stupid comment at best, there clearly was no malice involved.

On the other hand you sir are full of crap.

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
It was a stupid comment at best, there clearly was no malice involved.

On the other hand you sir are full of crap.
I am willing to give benefit of the doubt to Malik.

But that still does not take away from the fact that Pakistan team is brandishing Islam everywhere it goes. Praying on the ground is one of that. I do not mind it if they start with thanking Allah but that's where it should end.

Even with thanking Allah...lets assume players start saying, "Praise Jesus"...we would be having lots of discussions over that. But lets not get into that now.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I am willing to give benefit of the doubt to Malik.

But that still does not take away from the fact that Pakistan team is brandishing Islam everywhere it goes. Praying on the ground is one of that. I do not mind it if they start with thanking Allah but that's where it should end.
Who are you to dictate where should it start and where should it end ? I personally find no issues with that as long as they dont interrupt teh match.Infact I play with players who pray during interval or break, I find it very spiritual and inspired just by looking at them praying. And I am neither a muslim nor a very religious person. If it gives them peace, strength then why not.

Even with thanking Allah...lets assume players start saying, "Praise Jesus"...we would be having lots of discussions over that. But lets not get into that now.
Why would we have discussion about it ? Those who are religious, express their gratitude to their god everyday at every given opportunity. Some do it symbolically, some otherwise.

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Who are you to dictate where should it start and where should it end ? I personally find no issues with that as long as they dont interrupt teh match.Infact I play with players who pray during interval or break, I find it very spiritual and inspired just by looking at them praying. And I am neither a muslim nor a very religious person. If it gives them peace, strength then why not.
It should end as soon as it gets into the public eye. They can pray all they want indoors. When they can very easily pray indoors, why do they want to pray outdoors? I feel that the main reason is to brandish their religion.

And I don't feel inspired by them praying.

And if you do, maybe you should pray yourself (indoors), instead of watching them pray.

Why would we have discussion about it ? Those who are religious, express their gratitude to their god everyday at every given opportunity. Some do it symbolically, some otherwise.
Like I already said, I am not against religions or praying. I am only against religion being used as a means of outward display of one's supposed moral superiority or as means of segregation. And for sure, we would be talking quite a bit and discussing if players from England or Australia kept saying, "praise Jesus" all the time. Or if a player from India started with their sanskrit hyms.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It should end as soon as it gets into the public eye. They can pray all they want indoors. When they can very easily pray indoors, why do they want to pray outdoors? I feel that the main reason is to brandish their religion.

And I don't feel inspired by them praying.

And if you do, maybe you should pray yourself (indoors), instead of watching them pray.
If you are not inspired or dont want to watch then dont, . They are not forcing you to watch them, they are not forcing the camera man to focus on them while they are praying. They can pray whereever they want to as long as they are not interrupting the game. If you feel they are doing it to brandish their religion then the problem is with you and your bigoted thought process.

Its like saying I dont want Sachin Tendulkar looking at the sky after hitting a century. That stuff is brandishing his god and memory of his father and crap like that. Its like I dont want Dravid to bring his son out after victory in SA, Dravid should have kept his son inside. Its like saying sreesanth shouldn't be making those gestures of touching his heart and head and thanking his god, its like saying that Irfan had no business saying 'Mashallah...' after he got his MoM award. It is just pure BS and bigotry stemmed by your own prejudice towards a certain community or country, just incase you didn't know.

Like I already said, I am not against religions or praying. I am only against religion being used as a means of outward display of one's supposed moral superiority or as means of segregation. And for sure, we would be talking quite a bit and discussing if players from England or Australia kept saying, "praise Jesus" all the time. Or if a player from India started with their sanskrit hyms.
You clearly are and your posts indicate that very well. I am not sure If I want to discuss this garbage any more, its like hitting a wall as it is always with any extremist view. But If you continue to make this kind of statements, I will report your post.

nate-d

Cricket Spectator
Yep, his comments were indeed weird. It was somewhat uncalled for. I dont think there was a need to put religion in the game of cricket. Cant do much.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find it absurd that some people are saying that the Pakistan cricket team are forcing religion on the world, or some of it's players. As far as I know Mohammad Yousuf is the only very devout Muslim, and he certainly doesn't appear to be somebody who would force his religion on team-mates, especially when one of them is Hindu.

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am ont 100% sure but I think the "goal" of Islam as per the Quran is to spread acroos the world. Apostates of Islam are to be killed as well.

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
If you are not inspired or dont want to watch then dont, . They are not forcing you to watch them, they are not forcing the camera man to focus on them while they are praying. They can pray whereever they want to as long as they are not interrupting the game. If you feel they are doing it to brandish their religion then the problem is with you and your bigoted thought process.
Ofcourse they are not forcing anybody but if you stand naked in the middle of the road, you cannot hope that you will not be observed. The question here is, why would they do it outside when they can easily do it inside?

We are free to do many things in this world but that does not mean everything you have a right to do is logical.

Its like saying I dont want Sachin Tendulkar looking at the sky after hitting a century. That stuff is brandishing his god and memory of his father and crap like that. Its like I dont want Dravid to bring his son out after victory in SA, Dravid should have kept his son inside. Its like saying sreesanth shouldn't be making those gestures of touching his heart and head and thanking his god, its like saying that Irfan had no business saying 'Mashallah...' after he got his MoM award. It is just pure BS and bigotry stemmed by your own prejudice towards a certain community or country, just incase you didn't know.
Now you are starting to lie. Looking up at the sky and making gestures touching the heart are not comparable to brandishing religion. You know it well and you are grasping for straws. Bringing out the son bit that you said was just stupid.

And I clearly said that it is alright to say mashallah or thank god.

You clearly are and your posts indicate that very well. I am not sure If I want to discuss this garbage any more, its like hitting a wall as it is always with any extremist view. But If you continue to make this kind of statements, I will report your post.
You cannot take an opposing argument and resort to name calling and personal insults. And you are the one wanting to report me? thats funny. :laugh: