Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shoaib Malik's comment after the game!!!

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Show me where either SJS or myself said that, please.
    Actually you are right, he didn't compared the two and just said that he has more respect for Afridi now.

However i think guys like Afridi and Akhtar (especialy Akhtar) has done so much damage to the game that mere mentioning of few kind words shouldn't get them respect.

Well of lately the Pakistani team has been going down the extreme religious path, this started under Inzi, all of a sudden players were sporting long beards, players were supposed to pray together 4-5 times a day etc.etc. Probably has to do more with with the state that pakistan finds itself in politically. Players not totally in synch with this new found religious fervour have been isolated and sidelined(Shoiab Akhtar). Probably now it has reached a stage where the pakistani team feels that they bat for all the muslims in the world in a somewhat similar manner that Bush feels that he is fighting a crusade for the christians.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Show me where .....
    Thanks for the patience to see that one through. I would perhaps have given up and used the ig. button to avoid future fruitless arguments.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdj View Post
    Well of lately the Pakistani team has been going down the extreme religious path, this started under Inzi, all of a sudden players were sporting long beards, players were supposed to pray together 4-5 times a day etc.etc. Probably has to do more with with the state that pakistan finds itself in politically. Players not totally in synch with this new found religious fervour have been isolated and sidelined(Shoiab Akhtar). Probably now it has reached a stage where the pakistani team feels that they bat for all the muslims in the world in a somewhat similar manner that Bush feels that he is fighting a crusade for the christians.

Complete rubbish. First of all Akhtar isn't sidelined coz he's non religious, he's out because he isn't civilized enough to be a part of team.Secondarily, players like Malik, Younis, Gul, etc aren't that religious.The one that were overly religious happen to be Yousuf and Inzamam, which happen to have been sidelined!!

Also i feel nothing wrong with Inzi and Yousuf in being religious and having beard.My only problem with Inzi was that there were reposrts that he started to miss training sessions coz of his religious activities.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Icon14

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/meninwhite...om_a_final.php

Then the Pakistan captain said something that was so irrelevant that I couldn't believe my ears. So I looked at the highlights over and over again to make sure that I'd actually heard him say it. This is what he said to master of ceremonies, Ravi Shastri, who asked him a sympathetic question about the game after Shoaib had collected his loser's medal:
    "First of all I want to say something over here. I want to thank you back home Pakistan and where the Muslim lives all over the world."

This is what he said word for word because it's important to quote him correctly. The problem here isn't the syntax, it is the sentiment. I don't expect Shoaib Malik to be a politically correct intellectual, but it is reasonable to expect him to know the world of cricket that he inhabits.

It is a world where Muslims, Hindus and a Sikh currently play for England, where Buddhists, Muslims, Christians and a Hindu play for Sri Lanka, where Hashim Amla turns out for South Africa, where a Patel plays for New Zealand, where Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and Hindus play (and have always played) for India. Why would Shoaib think, then, that the Muslims of the world were collectively rooting for the Pakistan team or that they felt let down by its defeat? Did he stop to think of how Danish Kaneria, his Hindu team-mate, might feel hearing his Test skipper all but declare that the Pakistan team is a Muslim team that plays for the Muslims of the world? It is one thing to be publicly religious—Shahid Afridi thanked Allah and Matt Hayden and Shaun Pollock are proud, believing Christians—quite another to declare that your country's cricket eleven bats for international Islam.

Is this the forum to talk about this? Shouldn't Cricinfo and cricket's online community stick to cricket and leave issues like this alone? No we shouldn't, because Shoaib Malik chose to make it our business by saying it in team colours at the end of the ICC World Twenty20 final. He said something that goes to the heart of cricket's loyalties, its culture, its plurality of race and faith and language. If Shoaib took in nothing else about the final, he must have noticed that the bowler who took his wicket was called Irfan Khan Pathan, that the Indian team's most visible cheerleader, the guy who was hugging Indian players in turn at the end of the game, was one Shah Rukh Khan. I feel a residual distaste in even mentioning their names because both Shah Rukh and Irfan are admired in India for what they've achieved, not who they are. But sometimes it is important to spell things out and Shoaib could do with the instruction.

You can call me naïve but I believe he misspoke. I think he was thinking of thanking the Pakistani supporters all over the world, but "Muslim" came out instead (perhaps because of the month of Ramadan?). I don't think he meant to imply that ALL Muslims support Pakistan, or even that ONLY Muslims support Pakistan. From what I've heard and read from him, he doesn't seem to be that type. Hell, even Inzi wasn't that type, meaning to assume that Pakistan has the copyright on Muslim support. I think Malik could use a lesson in public speaking by the PCB. I know he's trying to improve his English. He should work on his interview skills as well, because handling media is a big part of a modern Captain's responsibilities.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Thanks for the patience to see that one through. I would perhaps have given up and used the ig. button to avoid future fruitless arguments.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    You can call me naïve but I believe he misspoke.
    It probably was, but one wonders about the lack of commincation skills among Pakistani cricketers.And It has nothing to do with their command over English, even when I hear them speak in Urdu, there exists same problem.
    In the 80s and early 90s most Pakistanis were pretty good, even someone like Javed who didn't have an elite upbringing like Imran etc could communicate well, atleast in Urdu. Now it just seems that most of these players have never been through any kind of education system at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PakPowered View Post
    Complete rubbish. First of all Akhtar isn't sidelined coz he's non religious, he's out because he isn't civilized enough to be a part of team.Secondarily, players like Malik, Younis, Gul, etc aren't that religious.The one that were overly religious happen to be Yousuf and Inzamam, which happen to have been sidelined!!

Also i feel nothing wrong with Inzi and Yousuf in being religious and having beard.My only problem with Inzi was that there were reposrts that he started to miss training sessions coz of his religious activities.
    Hi hi...thts new news
    *****Cricket Rules******

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Why would he say something as silly as that? Why would he want to thank all Muslims of the world? Is Pakistan the "national" team for Muslims everywhere? And what about the religious minorities in Pakistan? How would they feel if they are segregated like this?

It is one thing to thank God but brandishing your religion at every opportunity (like most Pakistani players do) is very questionable.

By making such a stupid comment, he is only portraying Islam as an elitist religion and the match as being Muslims vs Kaffirs (non-believers of Islam).

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSnow View Post
    Why would he say something as silly as that? Why would he want to thank all Muslims of the world? Is Pakistan the "national" team for Muslims everywhere? And what about the religious minorities in Pakistan? How would they feel if they are segregated like this?

It is one thing to thank God but brandishing your religion at every opportunity (like most Pakistani players do) is very questionable.

By making such a stupid comment, he is only portraying Islam as an elitist religion and the match as being Muslims vs Kaffirs (non-believers of Islam).
    It was a stupid comment at best, there clearly was no malice involved.

On the other hand you sir are full of crap.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    It was a stupid comment at best, there clearly was no malice involved.

On the other hand you sir are full of crap.
    I am willing to give benefit of the doubt to Malik.

But that still does not take away from the fact that Pakistan team is brandishing Islam everywhere it goes. Praying on the ground is one of that. I do not mind it if they start with thanking Allah but that's where it should end.

Even with thanking Allah...lets assume players start saying, "Praise Jesus"...we would be having lots of discussions over that. But lets not get into that now.

I am willing to give benefit of the doubt to Malik.

But that still does not take away from the fact that Pakistan team is brandishing Islam everywhere it goes. Praying on the ground is one of that. I do not mind it if they start with thanking Allah but that's where it should end.
    Who are you to dictate where should it start and where should it end ? I personally find no issues with that as long as they dont interrupt teh match.Infact I play with players who pray during interval or break, I find it very spiritual and inspired just by looking at them praying. And I am neither a muslim nor a very religious person. If it gives them peace, strength then why not.

Even with thanking Allah...lets assume players start saying, "Praise Jesus"...we would be having lots of discussions over that. But lets not get into that now.
    Why would we have discussion about it ? Those who are religious, express their gratitude to their god everyday at every given opportunity. Some do it symbolically, some otherwise.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Who are you to dictate where should it start and where should it end ? I personally find no issues with that as long as they dont interrupt teh match.Infact I play with players who pray during interval or break, I find it very spiritual and inspired just by looking at them praying. And I am neither a muslim nor a very religious person. If it gives them peace, strength then why not.
    It should end as soon as it gets into the public eye. They can pray all they want indoors. When they can very easily pray indoors, why do they want to pray outdoors? I feel that the main reason is to brandish their religion.

And I don't feel inspired by them praying.

And if you do, maybe you should pray yourself (indoors), instead of watching them pray.

Why would we have discussion about it ? Those who are religious, express their gratitude to their god everyday at every given opportunity. Some do it symbolically, some otherwise.
    Like I already said, I am not against religions or praying. I am only against religion being used as a means of outward display of one's supposed moral superiority or as means of segregation. And for sure, we would be talking quite a bit and discussing if players from England or Australia kept saying, "praise Jesus" all the time. Or if a player from India started with their sanskrit hyms.
    Last edited by ColdSnow; 26-09-2007 at 08:10 PM.

It should end as soon as it gets into the public eye. They can pray all they want indoors. When they can very easily pray indoors, why do they want to pray outdoors? I feel that the main reason is to brandish their religion.

And I don't feel inspired by them praying.

And if you do, maybe you should pray yourself (indoors), instead of watching them pray.
    If you are not inspired or dont want to watch then dont, . They are not forcing you to watch them, they are not forcing the camera man to focus on them while they are praying. They can pray whereever they want to as long as they are not interrupting the game. If you feel they are doing it to brandish their religion then the problem is with you and your bigoted thought process.

Its like saying I dont want Sachin Tendulkar looking at the sky after hitting a century. That stuff is brandishing his god and memory of his father and crap like that. Its like I dont want Dravid to bring his son out after victory in SA, Dravid should have kept his son inside. Its like saying sreesanth shouldn't be making those gestures of touching his heart and head and thanking his god, its like saying that Irfan had no business saying 'Mashallah...' after he got his MoM award. It is just pure BS and bigotry stemmed by your own prejudice towards a certain community or country, just incase you didn't know.

Like I already said, I am not against religions or praying. I am only against religion being used as a means of outward display of one's supposed moral superiority or as means of segregation. And for sure, we would be talking quite a bit and discussing if players from England or Australia kept saying, "praise Jesus" all the time. Or if a player from India started with their sanskrit hyms.
    You clearly are and your posts indicate that very well. I am not sure If I want to discuss this garbage any more, its like hitting a wall as it is always with any extremist view. But If you continue to make this kind of statements, I will report your post.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information