• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Malik's comment after the game!!!

pasag

RTDAS
I thought it was strange because I remember some discussion on here saying he was distinct from Inzi in that he never bought these things into the interviews. Perhaps someone has gotten into his ear or something, not a big deal anyways.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I think we should put it behind us. Its done and dusted. There is no other corroborative 'evidence' so lets just forget it.

Pakistan played a greatgame in great spirit and in a close game that anyone could have won, they just happened to lose it.

I remember when I was a kid, I used to go to watch these football tournaments like The Durand Cup in Delhi. The atmosphere was electric and the support for one's side was fanatical. It may be hard to believe todaybut in the early sixties the supporters of Mohun Bagan, Mohammaden Sporting, East Bengal, Hyderabad Police (later Andhra Police), Salgaonkar Goa etc went crazy shouting each other out. Imitially I used to be scared that those sitting close to me would become violent.

In all this there was one very fan, who had been coming for decades. Everyone knew him and he was a permanent fixtureand an icon. The cops and authorities allowed this man free access all across the ground. Maybe they didnt even charge him for his ticket. :)

Why I remember him today is that in a really close match between two top sides, he would suddenly stand up nd in his booming voice shout for all the thousands to hear him "Dono achhe , dono achhe" meaning botth are great both are great. It always brougfht smiles to everyone's face and the tensions eased perceptibly.

:)

Exactly, it was a fantastic game. Lets remember that, not the inteviews after it.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
In case you haven't noticed Malik isn't very comfortable speaking in English.I clearly remember Malik running off after being interview by Ian Bishop without properly saying thanks, now you can either say that the guy lacks manners or that he was far too anxious at such moments.
Malik should have congratulated the Indian team, but he probably forgot to do that in his anxiety just like Imran forgot to mention his team mates on winning the '92 WC.Afridi probably realised his captain's fault and did the right thing during the interview.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
It was very odd to say the least.

I must say Afridi was really good in acknowledging the loss to India. I have much more respect for him as a person.

Just coz he's fluent in English, doesn't sufer from high anxiety during interview and had happened to have wish Indians??
I was happy to hear what Afridi has to say, but fact remains that both Afridi and Akhtar are bad boys of Pak cricket, while Malik has always been a sporting charecter.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just coz he's fluent in English, doesn't sufer from high anxiety during interview and had happened to have wish Indians??
I was happy to hear what Afridi has to say, but fact remains that both Afridi and Akhtar are bad boys of Pak cricket, while Malik has always been a sporting charecter.
So sporting that he threw a match?!?!

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
So sporting that he threw a match?!?!
I knew someone will bring that up.Malik made one mistake in his life and that wasn't coz of money.In a domestic match Malik threw a match to prevent another team reaching final because an umpire was helping a team win the final.Malik was banned later and he appoligized.

Still better than tampering pitches in broad daylight, fighting with the team captain and haveing links to bookies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I knew someone will bring that up.Malik made one mistake in his life and that wasn't coz of money.In a domestic match Malik threw a match to prevent another team reaching final because an umpire was helping a team win the final.Malik was banned later and he appoligized.

Still better than tampering pitches in broad daylight, fighting with the team captain and haveing links to bookies.
I never compared him to Afridi and Akhtar. In fact, neither did SJS; that was all your doing. He still hasn't always been a sporting charecter (or character, for that matter) though.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
I never compared him to Afridi and Akhtar. In fact, neither did SJS; that was all your doing. He still hasn't always been a sporting charecter (or character, for that matter) though.
When one say that one has more respect for Afridi than Malik, then there is a clear comparison. Got it??

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Show me where either SJS or myself said that, please.
Actually you are right, he didn't compared the two and just said that he has more respect for Afridi now.

However i think guys like Afridi and Akhtar (especialy Akhtar) has done so much damage to the game that mere mentioning of few kind words shouldn't get them respect.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Well of lately the Pakistani team has been going down the extreme religious path, this started under Inzi, all of a sudden players were sporting long beards, players were supposed to pray together 4-5 times a day etc.etc. Probably has to do more with with the state that pakistan finds itself in politically. Players not totally in synch with this new found religious fervour have been isolated and sidelined(Shoiab Akhtar). Probably now it has reached a stage where the pakistani team feels that they bat for all the muslims in the world in a somewhat similar manner that Bush feels that he is fighting a crusade for the christians.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well of lately the Pakistani team has been going down the extreme religious path, this started under Inzi, all of a sudden players were sporting long beards, players were supposed to pray together 4-5 times a day etc.etc. Probably has to do more with with the state that pakistan finds itself in politically. Players not totally in synch with this new found religious fervour have been isolated and sidelined(Shoiab Akhtar). Probably now it has reached a stage where the pakistani team feels that they bat for all the muslims in the world in a somewhat similar manner that Bush feels that he is fighting a crusade for the christians.

Complete rubbish. First of all Akhtar isn't sidelined coz he's non religious, he's out because he isn't civilized enough to be a part of team.Secondarily, players like Malik, Younis, Gul, etc aren't that religious.The one that were overly religious happen to be Yousuf and Inzamam, which happen to have been sidelined!!

Also i feel nothing wrong with Inzi and Yousuf in being religious and having beard.My only problem with Inzi was that there were reposrts that he started to miss training sessions coz of his religious activities.

RhyZa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
http://blogs.cricinfo.com/meninwhite/archives/2007/09/scenes_from_a_final.php

Then the Pakistan captain said something that was so irrelevant that I couldn't believe my ears. So I looked at the highlights over and over again to make sure that I'd actually heard him say it. This is what he said to master of ceremonies, Ravi Shastri, who asked him a sympathetic question about the game after Shoaib had collected his loser's medal:
"First of all I want to say something over here. I want to thank you back home Pakistan and where the Muslim lives all over the world."

This is what he said word for word because it's important to quote him correctly. The problem here isn't the syntax, it is the sentiment. I don't expect Shoaib Malik to be a politically correct intellectual, but it is reasonable to expect him to know the world of cricket that he inhabits.

It is a world where Muslims, Hindus and a Sikh currently play for England, where Buddhists, Muslims, Christians and a Hindu play for Sri Lanka, where Hashim Amla turns out for South Africa, where a Patel plays for New Zealand, where Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and Hindus play (and have always played) for India. Why would Shoaib think, then, that the Muslims of the world were collectively rooting for the Pakistan team or that they felt let down by its defeat? Did he stop to think of how Danish Kaneria, his Hindu team-mate, might feel hearing his Test skipper all but declare that the Pakistan team is a Muslim team that plays for the Muslims of the world? It is one thing to be publicly religious—Shahid Afridi thanked Allah and Matt Hayden and Shaun Pollock are proud, believing Christians—quite another to declare that your country's cricket eleven bats for international Islam.

Is this the forum to talk about this? Shouldn't Cricinfo and cricket's online community stick to cricket and leave issues like this alone? No we shouldn't, because Shoaib Malik chose to make it our business by saying it in team colours at the end of the ICC World Twenty20 final. He said something that goes to the heart of cricket's loyalties, its culture, its plurality of race and faith and language. If Shoaib took in nothing else about the final, he must have noticed that the bowler who took his wicket was called Irfan Khan Pathan, that the Indian team's most visible cheerleader, the guy who was hugging Indian players in turn at the end of the game, was one Shah Rukh Khan. I feel a residual distaste in even mentioning their names because both Shah Rukh and Irfan are admired in India for what they've achieved, not who they are. But sometimes it is important to spell things out and Shoaib could do with the instruction.

Fusion

Global Moderator
You can call me naïve but I believe he misspoke. I think he was thinking of thanking the Pakistani supporters all over the world, but "Muslim" came out instead (perhaps because of the month of Ramadan?). I don't think he meant to imply that ALL Muslims support Pakistan, or even that ONLY Muslims support Pakistan. From what I've heard and read from him, he doesn't seem to be that type. Hell, even Inzi wasn't that type, meaning to assume that Pakistan has the copyright on Muslim support. I think Malik could use a lesson in public speaking by the PCB. I know he's trying to improve his English. He should work on his interview skills as well, because handling media is a big part of a modern Captain's responsibilities.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You can call me naïve but I believe he misspoke.
It probably was, but one wonders about the lack of commincation skills among Pakistani cricketers.And It has nothing to do with their command over English, even when I hear them speak in Urdu, there exists same problem.
In the 80s and early 90s most Pakistanis were pretty good, even someone like Javed who didn't have an elite upbringing like Imran etc could communicate well, atleast in Urdu. Now it just seems that most of these players have never been through any kind of education system at all.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
Complete rubbish. First of all Akhtar isn't sidelined coz he's non religious, he's out because he isn't civilized enough to be a part of team.Secondarily, players like Malik, Younis, Gul, etc aren't that religious.The one that were overly religious happen to be Yousuf and Inzamam, which happen to have been sidelined!!

Also i feel nothing wrong with Inzi and Yousuf in being religious and having beard.My only problem with Inzi was that there were reposrts that he started to miss training sessions coz of his religious activities.
Hi hi...thts new news:laugh:

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why would he say something as silly as that? Why would he want to thank all Muslims of the world? Is Pakistan the "national" team for Muslims everywhere? And what about the religious minorities in Pakistan? How would they feel if they are segregated like this?

It is one thing to thank God but brandishing your religion at every opportunity (like most Pakistani players do) is very questionable.

By making such a stupid comment, he is only portraying Islam as an elitist religion and the match as being Muslims vs Kaffirs (non-believers of Islam).