Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: which captain was the best captain in the final?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • shoaib malik

7 21.88%
  • ms Dohni

25 78.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best captain of the final match

best captain of the final match

it has been such an intense match..

just wondering which captain did a good job leading thier side??

Hard to judge. Not sure captaincy plays a big part in T20. Dead even, like the match I suppose.

Malik made some brilliant moves, such as containing Yuvraj with spin and introducing Gul earlier than usual. Dhoni was excellent as well and seems like a motivational captain for his players. Both were great but Lawson may have done his part on the Pakistani side.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Malik IMO. Having one of your strike bowlers bowl all of his overs at the death was a stroke of genius and captains will follow this plan for years to come. The way he shifted things around to contain all the big hitters throughout the tournament makes me want to vote for him.

EDIT: Didn't realize this poll was just for the final. Pretty even then I would say.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Dhoni was impressive in the final. Though bowling Sharma in the final over was a mistake. He was very lucky to get away with it.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Malik IMO. Having one of your strike bowlers bowl all of his overs at the death was a stroke of genius and captains will follow this plan for years to come. The way he shifted things around to contain all the big hitters throughout the tournament makes me want to vote for him.

EDIT: Didn't realize this poll was just for the final. Pretty even then I would say.
    Not taking anything away from Malik, but something tells me Lawson had more to do with that (Gul at the death) move.

International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    Malik IMO
    Supported Indian Cricket from 1992-2000 (till the match fixing scandal)

Long Live Test Cricket

Dhoni made crucial decsions at the right time....

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishant View Post
    Dhoni made crucial decsions at the right time....
    Yeah he did.
    really liked how he bowled Joginder Sharma and Yusuf pathan to try and get the 5th bowler quoto of overs quickly realising Pakistan will be trying to rebuild again so won't be able to hit them as freely and Younis was struggling to time the ball. It was risky but payed off.

Malik was excellent too bringing on spinner for Yuvi.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I didn't think either captain was particularly impressive TBH. Dhoni brought on Joginder Sharma for that last over and very nearly lost the game, while Malik was just solid throughout the game. One feels that some of Pakistan's more genius moves came from Geoff Lawson, which is understandable. However, I'll vote for Dhoni on the basis of the beleif that he inspired amongst his players.

EDIT: Actually, Dhoni was pretty good. Was very aggressive with his field placings, had slips in play at times when India needed to attack and brought 5 men into the inner ring when they needed to build pressure.
    Last edited by Perm; 24-09-2007 at 05:35 PM.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    I'll go with Dhoni, marginally. Have been impressed with the way they have both led through the competition, and they were both good in the final.
    The Gul move is certainly a premeditated decision and perhaps Lawson had an input over that, I don't know. Malik has led with the bat also and played crucial innings, just like Dhoni.
    Dhoni's field placings today were good and aggresive, at times bringing long on and off up to force Pakistan to go over the top if they wanted boundaries (the downfall of Younis Khan). Bowling changes were also generally good. Sharma last over was contentious, but think Misbah may well have got hold of Harbhajan anyhow, after his three sixes in his last over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Dhoni was impressive in the final. Though bowling Sharma in the final over was a mistake. He was very lucky to get away with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    IDhoni brought on Joginder Sharma for that last over and very nearly lost the game.

I dont think he had any other option. He wanted to give the ball to Harbhajan Singh but Harbhajan was a. Not confident enough to land his yourkers at the right spot b. was hit for 21 runs in his 3rd over.

Irfan, SreeSanth and RP already had finished their quota.Only guy left was Yusuf Pathan who was playing his first Game, must say though he had bowled a tight over earlier. But it was just a toss up between YK Pathan and Sharma.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    I dont think he had any other option. He wanted to give the ball to Harbhajan Singh but Harbhajan was a. Not confident enough to land his yourkers at the right spot b. was hit for 21 runs in his 3rd over.

Irfan, SreeSanth and RP already had finished their quota.Only guy left was Yusuf Pathan who was playing his first Game, must say though he had bowled a tight over earlier. But it was just a toss up between YK Pathan and Sharma.
    Given how hittable Sharma has been throughout the tournament, India and Dhoni were very lucky that the move didn't backfire. Harbhajan had been inconsistent, but I would've felt a bit more comfortable with him bowling the last over than Joginder Sharma. Of course, Yusuf Pathan could have been another option, although I'm not sure how well he can bowl at the death.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I can't picture Harbhajan lacking confidence there. As against Australia in the semi-final, he's always seemed a guy who wants the ball in the pressure situations. He had a difficult start to his spell in that match, but recovered supremely in the clutch. I think it was far more a lack of Dhoni's confidence in Harbhajan, than Harbhajan's lack of self-belief.

I'd still have gone with him ahead of Sharma. It's like choosing McGrath (9-0-70-0 or the like) ahead of Mitchell Johnson (9-0-54-2) to bowl the 50th of an ODI. As I said before, Sharma was very lucky to survive that task.

Dhoni for sure
    *****Cricket Rules******

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information