Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was the format wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    It is not uncalled for at all. This is thread from a South African fan looking for excuses after their world cup loss. You wouldn't have opened this thread If SA were still around.
    You are completely wrong! Don't attribute thoughts, feelings and actions to me that you have no basis for. You are probably judging me by your thoughts, actions and feelings.
    In no way, at any time, have I made excuses for our loss. I honestly believe we played appalling cricket and deserved to lose. What's more, my reaction when we lost, was humorous.
    To me this has and always will be just a game.
    I believe it is this sort of thing that is causing cricketweb to lose some of it's best posters.
    If certain people don't agree with a statement you make hoping to start an interesting discussion, they attack you.
    Get over yourself, Sanz. Either discuss the issue and give intelligent reasons why you disagree, or get out of my thread.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by jot1 View Post
    get out of my thread.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Wouldn't a more true reflection of the best team be, the team with the most wins goes through to the final. The team that won the second most matches goes through to the final. Only when there is no such winner in either case, should the finalists be chosen by runrate or whatever.
    This was the basic pretence underlining the super eight in the Caribbean this spring, wasn't it? That hardly produced entertaining cricket, did it?

This was a format aimed at producing intensity and as many crunch games as possible - yes, we've had a handful of dead games, but it's an improvement on there being a handful of live ones.

Winning a KO tournament is about winning when it matters. Ultimately, if you win all of your games, then you're going to win the tournament and run-rate will come nowhere near it.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

You are completely wrong! Don't attribute thoughts, feelings and actions to me that you have no basis for. You are probably judging me by your thoughts, actions and feelings.
    In no way, at any time, have I made excuses for our loss. I honestly believe we played appalling cricket and deserved to lose. What's more, my reaction when we lost, was humorous.
    To me this has and always will be just a game.
    I believe it is this sort of thing that is causing cricketweb to lose some of it's best posters.
    If certain people don't agree with a statement you make hoping to start an interesting discussion, they attack you.
    Get over yourself, Sanz. Either discuss the issue and give intelligent reasons why you disagree, or get out of my thread.

Oh and I have already given intelligent reason which you seemed to have ignored.

Icon12

This format is cool and really entertaining .....it has turned lots of people to cricket lovers...
    *****Cricket Rules******

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    It is not uncalled for at all. This is thread from a South African fan looking for excuses after their world cup loss. You wouldn't have opened this thread If SA were still around.
    Psychic are we?
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    The nature of group stages is that there is always the chance that two or more teams will finish on the same number of points. Any method one chooses to separate them might be more or less arbitrary, but net RR seems less so than, say, sixes scored or wickets taken.

The obvious answer would be to have had straight quarter-finals rather than the super 8 stage, but that would've meant an even shorter tournament. Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing, one of the strengths of this tournament has been its hit-and-run brevity, especially when compared with the interminable ODI WC.

&, I may've turned two pages over at once, but has the ICC decided this isn't the 20/20 world cup? I was under the impression that that's exactly what it was.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

This one isn't an official World Cup no, the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup is going to be held in two years time.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Eh? Really? I thought that's what it was too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    This one isn't an official World Cup no, the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup is going to be held in two years time.
    Really? Always thought this was the first World Cup. Don't tell me this is the Champions Trophy of Twenty20.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

I don't know why the ICC didn't call it an official World Cup really, there are mixed messages as to whether the one in England in 2009 will be a World Cup or another 'ICC World Twenty20' - the bit on Cricinfo must have changed from the former to the latter over these last few days.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Really, WTF does it matter what the stupid thing's called? It's a global Twenty20 tournament - nothing else matters in the slightest. I$C$C can call it whatever they think will do them most help.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

School Boy/Girl Captain

Oh and I have already given intelligent reason which you seemed to have ignored.
    Sanz, I think your dig at Jot was uncalled for. He just made a point that the format might be flawed.

Anyway...Jot, I think the "best" format to ensure that the best team goes forward is obviously have each team play against each other and then the two best play the final.

But such a format will run too long. This format was very entertaining for me.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Really, WTF does it matter what the stupid thing's called? It's a global Twenty20 tournament - nothing else matters in the slightest. I$C$C can call it whatever they think will do them most help.
    It matters in the same way it matters whether you are playing in a ODI World Cup or ODI Champions Trophy. Big difference in terms of the prestige.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It matters in the same way it matters whether you are playing in a ODI World Cup or ODI Champions Trophy. Big difference in terms of the prestige.
    Well World Championships is just another name for a World Cup really and it basically is the Twenty20 equivalent of the ODI World Cup, even tho this isn't officially called a World Cup. ICC are just confusing the issue with their branding.

Like I said earlier I think the reason for calling it something else was negative association on the 'World Cup' name in cricket if this event failed (or to possibly differentiate it generally speaking). But anyway don't worry it.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 23-09-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information