• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif doubtful for semi-final

haroon510

International 12th Man
Asif doubtful for semi-final

Pakistan were dealt a blow ahead of their semi-final against New Zealand with Mohammad Asif in doubt for the match with an elbow injury.

Nasim Ashraf, the chairman of the Pakistan board, said Asif had sustained the injury during the net practice before the game against Australia and has been in pain since then.

"That is why he has looked out of sorts and struggled with his line and length, Ashraf told PTI. "He has played because of the importance of the game against Australia but I think the team management should have given him rest for the match against Bangladesh."

Asif has taken nine wickets at 17 from five matches in the tournament so far. Ashraf said he had played after taking injections but he was still not 100% fit.

"The manner in which Asif bowled against Bangladesh, he does not bowl like this even in the nets," he said.

Shoaib Malik, the Pakistan captain, admitted that Asif was crucial to the team's chances in the event.

here is the link
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/twenty20wc/content/current/story/312051.html

the whole thing sounds fishy here... if asif was injured or wasn't feeling good why he was played against bangladish...the match was n't an important one...

The_Bunny

State Regular
Huge blow to Pakistans chances imo,
Hope that if they get through to the final he will be fit to play :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The way he bowled in the last match, this may actually boost Pakistan's chances :dry:
Seriously, that's a massive blow to Pakistan. He is not just their star bowler, he is the only one. Afridi cant do everything in four overs.

Itdramatically tilts the game in Kiwis way

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Good on him, he bowled well. Full credit.
Superb. But for me the Pakistani bowler of the tournament is neither Asif nor Afridi - it is GUL.

And Pakistan's strategy to bowl one of their main bowlers (not a spinner) only in the second half of the innings, is the master stroke of the tournament. We may see more teams looking to ape that in the future but they will have to be very lucky to have a bowler as good as GUL to 'spare' for this job.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Superb. But for me the Pakistani bowler of the tournament is neither Asif nor Afridi - it is GUL.

And Pakistan's strategy to bowl one of their main bowlers (not a spinner) only in the second half of the innings, is the master stroke of the tournament. We may see more teams looking to ape that in the future but they will have to be very lucky to have a bowler as good as GUL to 'spare' for this job.
Haven't Sri Lanka been doing the same thing with Lasith Malinga? Bowling him primarily in the second half of the innings, allowing him to bowl four overs of yorkers once the ball has become a little more worn.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't Sri Lanka been doing the same thing with Lasith Malinga? Bowling him primarily in the second half of the innings, allowing him to bowl four overs of yorkers once the ball has become a little more worn.
Yes you are right But there is some difference.

In Vaas and Fernando they have a tried and tested duo at the top and Mahroof to bowl at first change but Pakistan, now without Shoaib would have been excused for using Gul to partner Asif with Tanvir being so fresh..

Secondly, I could be wrong but I think Malinga comes on earlier than Gul.

Finally Gul is doing a fabulous job. Malinga is a toe crusher so seems in theory more suited for this role but Gul is a revelation.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yes you are right But there is some difference.

In Vaas and Fernando they have a tried and tested duo at the top and Mahroof to bowl at first change but Pakistan, now without Shoaib would have been excused for using Gul to partner Asif with Tanvir being so fresh..

Secondly, I could be wrong but I think Malinga comes on earlier than Gul.

Finally Gul is doing a fabulous job. Malinga is a toe crusher so seems in theory more suited for this role but Gul is a revelation.
You're trying to jinx him aren't you?