• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Global sport?

dro87

U19 12th Man
Do you think that twenty20 cricket may help make cricket a real global sport? Yes it's played in something like 120 coutries, but considering i know that italy are in the top 30 makes me think a lot... The biggest problems we find here are money and media following.
What do you think would happen if cricket gets into the Olympics? Of course it would be played with the twenty20 format. Like this tournament is proving minnows can try to compete in the shortest version of the game. And if cricket would be an Olympics sport the CONI (sort of the ministry of sports) would invest much more money in cricket, which would produce facilities, and of course better standards of players. And any sport in which italy plays is shown on tv, which would be great.
Italians think cricket is a slow and boring sport. But all my italian friends once understood the basic started liking it. Twenty20 would certanly give them an exiciting view of cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It saddens me to say it, but I think Twenty20 is the only way of making cricket a global sport. The financial implications of it are very attractive, and the format certainly has wider appeal than Test cricket.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm all for it.

In the end it will mean more cricket fans which will have the affect of more visitors to Cricket Web.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm all for it.

In the end it will mean more cricket fans which will have the affect of more visitors to Cricket Web.
Maybe we'll have to start introducing Mandarin, German and French versions.

If Cricket was to be at the Olympics I would make it that Test Playing nations must select Under 23 players, while other teams can pick whoever they like..

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
will it help if the LBW law is taken off? then the smaller nations(cricket wise) can have more level playing field then again they may suffer too,

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I'd rather if we didn't alter that game that much.

The first international match was between the US and Canada. They lost interest in cricket when baseball came about.

I believe that we should endors test cricket, as thats what cricket is. If you are too impatient then that your own fault. If people get hooked on 20/20 then they may find test matches really slow and boring.

The_Bunny

State Regular
I'd rather if we didn't alter that game that much.

The first international match was between the US and Canada. They lost interest in cricket when baseball came about.

I believe that we should endors test cricket, as thats what cricket is. If you are too impatient then that your own fault. If people get hooked on 20/20 then they may find test matches really slow and boring.
Some people dont have the time to watch test cricket, and if I had never seen cricket before then I'm not sure I would want to watch somthing for 8 hours a day for 5 days without even being assured of a result...
So its not just people thinking test cricket is boring, they may just not have the time;)

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
This tournament has been everything the real World Cup should have been and could really pull in crowds even in non test playing countries. I think it reduces the gap between great teams and average teams. In test cricket invariably the better team wins, atleast T20 gives a chance to newcomers to be a little competative.

I think Twenty20 & ODIs should be banned & only test cricket should.Also,I think there's no need to globalise the sport and only 8 teams should be allowed to play it,other tteams should be given FC matches against these 8 sides and should only be given test status after winning a few of those FC matches againt the top test sides.

dro87

U19 12th Man
to get to good standards of players you need to get faciltys and players, and you may get this two thing only if twenty20 gets spread

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Some student circles say that T20 was conceived primarily to target the United States, given their short attention spans and the money that is exchanged in sport there.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nah. Twenty20 cricket was invented to stimulate domestic audiences to attend games and therefore spend money. I really don't think there was much foresight beyond raising funds in domestic cricket in countries already well-versed in the sport.

Mr Mxyzptlk

You could say the same about a faulty batch of condoms...

Doesn't make it a good thing though..
You're contending that globalization of the sport is anything but good?

Agreed though. Faulty condoms aren't as wonderful as advertised.

Last edited: