• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals and Finals

adharcric

International Coach
By the way, we really need to clean out the Cricbuzz crap from here. You all know who I'm referring to. That's right, there's more than one of them.

adharcric

International Coach
and i some times i feel like he is more against pakistani team than any other team considering his recent comments about shoaib akhter... well shoaib is bad but i don't agree with his point that two Ws has influnaced his behaviors... associating shoaib's recent behaviors with legends like wasim and waqar is just dire and disgrace..
You do realize that Wasim Akram recently said that Shoaib didn't do anything seriously wrong and should have stayed with the team?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont think he has potential . If he has, one hasn't seen any signs of it so far in all his games for India - odi or T20.
That's why I used "may", because I've seen nothing of him outside of this tournament, so I didn't want to write him off entirely.

adharcric

International Coach
I dont think he has potential . If he has, one hasn't seen any signs of it so far in all his games for India - odi or T20.
Looking back at my statement, I'll take that back. Joginder bowled much better in his final 5 overs but not as well as the figures indicate. The final over against Australia was excellent though, without doubt.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You do realize that Wasim Akram recently said that Shoaib didn't do anything seriously wrong and should have stayed with the team?
If Pakistan almost won this tournament it has something to do with Shoaib not playing and Sohail Tanveer taking his spot.

haroon510

International 12th Man
OK enough of you. First stop insulting my country by saying crap and stuff in your quotes. And i mean it damn seriously.
Secondly, i clearly came to the conclusion you are like ABCD or NBCD and you do not live in india, but pretending to be so by posting anti-india stuff by using india's name and a city. This is unacceptable and shows you in bad light.
Thirdly iam pretty much sure you are delusional and i will never post for any of your messages again u looser.
Anyways i hope you stay away from the forum or get banned for using and abusing indias name.
and fourth ur contridicting ur name... as suppose ur name says that u r neutral... u r taking a side here and that is contridiction of ur name...

fifth everyone is entitled to thier opinions... i am not pakistani i am from afghanistan and i support pakistani team... i hate indian team as much as most afghans like it... it is my point of view and it needs to be respected... u shouldn't take that effensive.. he is from india and he hates indian team it is his point of views and opinion and it needs to be respected..

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
If Pakistan almost won this tournament it has something to do with Shoaib not playing and Sohail Tanveer taking his spot.
Yes SJS, Tanvir played extremely well. I doubt Shoib performance above Tanvir ATM

pasag

RTDAS
Amazing that India won with no head coach, none of the star players and not one practice match. Really a great story and not meaning to take anything away from India and this probably isn't the appropriate time but I have to agree with SS that the Test win in England was so much greater than their achievements here and it saddens me that that isn't being recognised in certain terms (mainly excitment, joy of players, fans etc). Not saying there is too much celebration here, but perhaps there wasn't enough celebration over there :)

haroon510

International 12th Man
is there a prove of that?? would u mind sharing that article with me...

if he might have said it is his point of views but if u fallow wasim and waqar's careers they weren't as undispline as shoaib has been... then why tony Graig is saying that wasim and waqar didn't set a good example to young bowlers like shoaib... shoaib is also a human and he knows what is good and what isn't and he is old enough to make his choices then why some one else gets bashed for someone else's actions..

irfan

State Captain
What a sensational match - it ebbed and flowed brilliantly throughout - after India made 157, Pakistan was surely in the box seat.
Out came Nazir and absolutely pastes Sreesanth and I think the most crucial moment of the match was Uthappa running him out - cos Nazir basically had a dead leg - he wasn't going to nurdle the ball around and 2 more overs of his batting and it would have been curtains.

Really I had given no hope after RP, Sharma & Pathan destroyed the middle-order once Arafat went I was pretty sure India would romp home comfortably. Boy, did I discount Misbah - superbly constructed innings and Tanvir - the first ball he faced at intl level smacks Sreesanth for six - simply brilliant stuff. They were edging closer and closer but I think Misbah on his part made two tactical errors

1) Coasted for a wicket too long (only after Arafat's dismissal IIRC) before he made his charge

2) Obviously the execution of the final shot. I mean the shot was on but Sharma doesn't bowl with enough pace and on top of that - naturally curves it away so scooping it over fine leg requires perfect execution - he just had to go for a four through the covers/down the ground and then look for a two. Easier said than done tho, and it was a brilliant innings from him nevertheless.

Gul should have got MOTS for mine - he actually performed in the final unlike Afridi and Gambhir might consider himself unlucky for missing out on MOM as he was the onky batsman to cross 50.

Dhoni captained brilliantly - loved his field placings and the only way Pakistan got momentum was when they cleared the field whereas I felt Malik missed a trick when he conceded too many singles to Gambhir/Yuvraj/Uthappa at the start.

ALL in ALL a ****in awesome tense unpredictable game - where are all the T20IBS Society hiding now!!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Amazing that India won with no head coach, none of the star players and not one practice match. Really a great story and not meaning to take anything away from India and this probably isn't the appropriate time but I have to agree with SS that the Test win in England was so much greater than their achievements here and it saddens me that that isn't being recognised in certain terms (mainly excitment, joy of players, fans etc). Not saying there is too much celebration here, but perhaps there wasn't enough celebration over there :)
There have been celebration in the past when a test match has gone to the wire(like T20 Final) and India has won it. I think people mistake this sort of celebration as some sort of celebration of Twenty20, It is not.

It is celebration of the hard earned victory , which came after so many ups and downs. Would there have been as much celebration had this been a one sided match. No definately not. It is the closeness of the match (regardless of the type of the match) against rivals Pakistan that makes people celebrate more. I have seen people dancing in the streets after our test series win in Pakistan.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is my team of the WC Twenty 20 2007

1. Hayden
  2. Gayle
  3. Yuvraj
  4. Kemp
  5. Misbah
  6. Gilchrist (keeper)
  7. Afridi
  8. Vettori (captain)
  9. Clarke
  10. Gul
  11. RP Singh

adharcric

International Coach
is there a prove of that?? would u mind sharing that article with me...

if he might have said it is his point of views but if u fallow wasim and waqar's careers they weren't as undispline as shoaib has been... then why tony Graig is saying that wasim and waqar didn't set a good example to young bowlers like shoaib... shoaib is also a human and he knows what is good and what isn't and he is old enough to make his choices then why some one else gets bashed for someone else's actions..
It's all over the place.

Here's one: http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2007/sep/21akram1.htm

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
As much as I like test matches over ODI's and ODI's over T20, T20 is here to stay and most likely will take over ODI's in 5 years. The notion that this is s rubbish format is wrong, this will give more players to play at international level and make cricket more competitive internationally and nationally. Also to say cricket is a business now is again wrong assesment. Any sport is entertainment and also run mainly due to business it brings, why expect sponsors to sponor events for the greatness of the game ??? Also to say that T20 will become more famous now because IND and PAK were in final maybe true to some extent, but they did not invent this format, nor were favoured to win.

pasag

RTDAS
There have been celebration in the past when a test match has gone to the wire(like T20 Final) and India has won it. I think people mistake this sort of celebration as some sort of celebration of Twenty20, It is not.

It is celebration of the hard earned victory , which came after so many ups and downs. Would there have been as much celebration had this been a one sided match. No definately not. It is the closeness of the match (regardless of the type of the match) against rivals Pakistan that makes people celebrate more. I have seen people dancing in the streets after our test series win in Pakistan.
Yeah fair points, I guess the dour end to the Test series didn't help either.

sideshowtim

Banned
My only problem with T20 is that you can't really say one team is better than the other based upon these matches. Can anyone honestly say that India are better than Pakistan based on them winning tonight? I certainly can't, they were dead even tonight. Same goes for a lot of other matches in this series. Are India a better side than South Africa? Not in my books...

It kind of takes away bragging rights, as the winning team won't always be the best one...see what I'm getting at?

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
In another sense, the ICC should seriously consider scrapping the meaningless champions trophy and have 2020 world cup in that slot.
So in that sense , it will create a new niche for this type of game without too much player burnout/injuries.
Now that 2009 world cup 2020 will be held in england, i wish the ICC will scrap the champions trophy that year, so that we could have something like this
2009-world cup 2020- England
2011-world cup LOI- subcontinent
2013- world cup 2020-?

sideshowtim

Banned
In another sense, the ICC should seriously consider scrapping the meaningless champions trophy and have 2020 world cup in that slot.
So in that sense , it will create a new niche for this type of game without too much player burnout/injuries.
Now that 2009 world cup 2020 will be held in england, i wish the ICC will scrap the champions trophy that year, so that we could have something like this
2009-world cup 2020- England
2011-world cup LOI- subcontinent
2013- world cup 2020-?
Good idea. Completely agreed. Champions Trophy doesn't really serve much of a purpose...

jeevan

International 12th Man
Was a part of T20IBS society before this tourney, thinking that bowling had been reduced to a sideshow and that mindless slogging was all there was to it.

Boy was I wrong on both counts. Bowlers matter so much. A 2-wicket over (like Pathan's today) or even a 1 wicket over (like Harbhajan's 1-0-3-1 against Australia) or even a steady 4 overs (like Gul today) can make the match. And the part time bowler of ODIs suddenly becomes the baggage to carry.

All you,the fan, have to do to appreciate bowling is to reset ER baseline from 4 in ODI to 7 in T20. OTOH you get strike rates that are just terrific.

'Slogging': First of all, the mindless type has no place except for the tailender. On the skilful part, if you can do it like Yuvi against Australia & England, certainly. But even he flopped in the 3 other innings he played. So you cannot count on only that type of display to win a championship, though once in a while it will get you a game. You need a Gambhir and a Hayden, and sometimes (like today) , they end up doing the heavy lifting.

I think a consistency requirement when applied to T20 has something to really separate the wheat from the chaff. So tournament style play is better suited for T20 than a 3-match bilateral series that fits ODIs.

At this point, dont mind swapping out T20 for ODIs completely. Tests rule, of course.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Just caught a few highlights of the final(dam match on during school) looks like it was a exciting game to round off what i got to say has been a very succesful tournement.Roll on the winter series.