• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowl-Outs

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Am I the only one that thinks this is a ridiculous way of deciding a match?

If the game must be split not tied, then surely it would be better to give the win to the team with the most wickets - at least that is a reflection of what has gone on in the match. You could go further down this track as well of needed (eg most wickets 'bowled' or most stumpings). You could even do it on dropped catches, anything really rather than the farcical bowl out.

May as well get all the players to spin round looking at the sky holding a stump to their foreheads and see who falls down last.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree its a ridiculous way to decide..but it adds to the thrill of the game.

I also thought Pakistan looked like they really could not be bothered by the bowl out ...I felt they were satisfied they had done enough and the bowl out was farcical or not important to them.....

Heaven forbid the Semi finals or Final from being decided in this manner...:ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Odd that both international bowl outs so far have ended with one side wiping the floor with the other.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Odd that both international bowl outs so far have ended with one side wiping the floor with the other.
Its like the Penalty shoot outs at the end of Soccer World Cup games...you get the feeling one Team has already conceded the game to the other... and they are just going through the motions. (in soccer the Team with one player sent off usually or....along those lines..)

Athlai

Not Terrible
nightprowler just suggested an extra innings style format as opposed to this, as cricket is a game of two parts, batting and bowling (fielding too) wouldn't it make more sense to involve the other part of the game, an extra few overs? Maybe even as few as 2 with 2 bowlers and 4 batsman?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's certainly ridiculous. Probably the stupidest and most farcical thing I've ever seen in a game of international cricket. It's not comparable to penalty shootouts, because at least that tests a relevant skill to football, given people do actually take penalties. Nobody bowls at stumps without a batsman in cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Would prefer a tied game. If they really wanted to declare a winner, they should have given it to the team that lost less wickets. This BOWL OUT is a stupid joke in the name of cricket and one of the reasons why I hate Twenty20.

adharcric

International Coach
Ridiculous indeed. Most idiotic concept I have ever seen introduced in cricket. I was beginning to appreciate the Twenty20 format but this is pathetic.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
This rule is even more disgraceful than Imran Nazir's approach to batting, both should be chucked out of game as soon as possible.

Imagine WC final being decided on hitting stumps!!

pasag

RTDAS
Would prefer a tied game. If they really wanted to declare a winner, they should have given it to the team that lost less wickets. This BOWL OUT is a stupid joke in the name of cricket and one of the reasons why I hate Twenty20.
Most 6s I was thinking, but agreed, Bowl Outs are horrible as I posted when it first happened with NZ WI.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I like them for a few reasons

• The pressure they build
  • The spectacle that it is, (bowler and wicket keeper in the middle of it all)
  • The expressions of the teams and of the fans with every ball that goes down
  • The excitement of the make or break moments it creates

But there are better options (a few proper extra time overs) and I would HATE it if it were part of ODI cricket, this is T20. It fits right in with the rest of the things.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I can actually understand them as a way of deciding a tied knock-out match, but in a group stage like yesterday's game, the tie should be left to stand as it is. Both teams scored an equal amount of runs, therefore the points should be split, just as in an abandoned match.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
Yes man it makes sense...but in a fast game like this ....some decision are needed...i feel it will be easier for further stages also:)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like them for a few reasons

• The pressure they build
  • The spectacle that it is, (bowler and wicket keeper in the middle of it all)
  • The expressions of the teams and of the fans with every ball that goes down
  • The excitement of the make or break moments it creates

But there are better options (a few proper extra time overs) and I would HATE it if it were part of ODI cricket, this is T20. It fits right in with the rest of the things.
Haha surely you're taking the piss?

Let's go even one step further. Have a batsman hit the ball high in the air, and see if the fielder can catch it. Whichever team catches it the most out of the 5 times wins.

A bowl-out is the worst concept ever. EVER!

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haha surely you're taking the piss?

Let's go even one step further. Have a batsman hit the ball high in the air, and see if the fielder can catch it. Whichever team catches it the most out of the 5 times wins.

A bowl-out is the worst concept ever. EVER!
If it doesn't make me turn off the television then it works TBH.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it doesn't make me turn off the television then it works TBH.
Agreed, although I can see why almost everybody is criticising it, I'd much prefer the winner to be based on number of wickets lost, or number of sixes hit. But a bowl-off does the job.