• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowl-Outs

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Drop dead stroke : How about getting five batsmen to block five deliveries by a bowling machine and try to drop them dead. The distance the ball travels for each of the batsmen to be added up and the team with the lower distance wins :)
This should be an Olympic sport in itself. Both team and individual.

Imagine the crowds that would flock to the stadiums to watch Drop dead stroke.

What penalties would you get if you missed the ball and blocked or nicked the ball backwards?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yes but 'best technique' is a bit difficult to judge objectively.
That's what makes it exciting.

It's like Gymnastics and Diving. In fact Prince, Geoff Boycott and a token Russian Judge would be good choices..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How about they get a bowling machine out and 6 batsmen get judged by the 3 umpires on who has the best blocking technique.

The players would be judged out of 10 and the team with the highest score wins.
Drop dead stroke : How about getting five batsmen to block five deliveries by a bowling machine and try to drop them dead. The distance the ball travels for each of the batsmen to be added up and the team with the lower distance wins :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been away for a while, and I'm not about to read through this entire thread, so forgive me if this point has been addressed already...

If the game must be split not tied, then surely it would be better to give the win to the team with the most wickets - at least that is a reflection of what has gone on in the match.
No it isn't a fair reflection. Because the team batting first may have lost more wickets in trying to set a target, and that doesn't reflect a lesser performance. Setting a target and chasing a target are entirely different in so many ways. And it's hardly fair to quantify wickets lost as a manner of deciding the winning team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How about they get a bowling machine out and 6 batsmen get judged by the 3 umpires on who has the best blocking technique.

The players would be judged out of 10 and the team with the highest score wins.
But a perfect defensive stroke doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being a quality cricketer. I don't see how that's much better than a bowl-out.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
all the ideas are funny and lets have a laugh at this bowl out concept, but when it comes down to it, there is more chance a soccer match will end in draw/tie and i read that 65% of soccer games will be decided from shoot outs.. but in cricket a tied game surely is rare and in the end its kind of a nessacary evil, if the team puts themselves in the position of tied game they must and their fans have to accept that the game will be decided upon a bowl out. if you know tha points are going to be split if you tie its a shrug of the shoulders... if you tie.. however if the tie results into another "chance" for both teams then this should be your reason to win...if you dont like the idea of a bowl out then win the match simple.

side note 43 int. 20/20 have been played 2 have resulted in bowl outs thats 5%...