Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 77

Thread: Bowl-Outs

  1. #46
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    That's just rubbish. It is absolutely not a test of cricketing skill. There is no part of the game in which bowling and hitting the stumps without a batsman to defend them is required, and in fact the sort of deliveries one might bowl in a bowl off would likely be hit for six under normal circumstances. It really boggles the mind that cricket fans would attempt to defend such a ridiculous concept.

    Penalty shootouts are a bad part of football, but they are a necessary evil, and penalty taking is a relevant skill. Bowl offs in cricket are unnecessary, and you may as well decide the game by arm wrestling or a foot race. Both involve abilities which have some connection to being good at cricket, but neither are cricket skills.

    And really, the emergence of the bowl-out is testament to the poisonous nature of the attitude surrounding 20/20 - that our game is fundamentally dull and must be artifically hyped up to appeal to fans with short attention spans.
    Wow, vintage Fuller. A gem the like of which we've not seen for a while.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #47
    International Regular Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,903
    Maybe we could decide the game by which side has the more attractive romantic partners??

  3. #48
    State Vice-Captain Poker Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kilbirnie, Scotland
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    That's just rubbish. It is absolutely not a test of cricketing skill. There is no part of the game in which bowling and hitting the stumps without a batsman to defend them is required, and in fact the sort of deliveries one might bowl in a bowl off would likely be hit for six under normal circumstances. It really boggles the mind that cricket fans would attempt to defend such a ridiculous concept.

    Penalty shootouts are a bad part of football, but they are a necessary evil, and penalty taking is a relevant skill. Bowl offs in cricket are unnecessary, and you may as well decide the game by arm wrestling or a foot race. Both involve abilities which have some connection to being good at cricket, but neither are cricket skills.

    And really, the emergence of the bowl-out is testament to the poisonous nature of the attitude surrounding 20/20 - that our game is fundamentally dull and must be artifically hyped up to appeal to fans with short attention spans.
    As I wrote before, they had bowl outs in English domestic cricket (when a knockout tie couldn't be completed because of the weather) 12 years before 20/20 begun here. Still I suppose for a tied knock out game you could use a toss of a coin....
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

  4. #49
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    As I wrote before, they had bowl outs in English domestic cricket (when a knockout tie couldn't be completed because of the weather) 12 years before 20/20 begun here.
    Didn't know that but so what?

    Who says stupid concepts dont have a history ?


  5. #50
    U19 12th Man anoop4real's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    TVM,India
    Posts
    237

    Icon10

    Hi hi thats right
    *****Cricket Rules******
    ______________________________________
    "Born to play Cricket"

  6. #51
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,215
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    And really, the emergence of the bowl-out is testament to the poisonous nature of the attitude surrounding 20/20 - that our game is fundamentally dull and must be artifically hyped up to appeal to fans with short attention spans.
    Couldn't agree with this more. This is why I hate the introduction of dancers/cheerleaders and any other references to American sports (like the use of the word dugout).
    RIP Craigos

  7. #52
    Hall of Fame Member Jamee999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    15,094
    If it's not a dugout then what is it? An outdoor preparation area?
    Or something.

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

  8. #53
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,029
    How the hell could an International player miss the stumps?

    It is such a stupid idea, I can't believe it. I would rather extra time, even if it is just an extra over.

    Or they could have a field off similar to donkey, but instead you spell out the word dire...

    So a player from team 'A' chooses a place to throw the ball and he has to hit the stumps. if he does and team b misses he is on D and so on. LOL

  9. #54
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,261
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Or they could have a field off similar to donkey, but instead you spell out the word dire...

    So a player from team 'A' chooses a place to throw the ball and he has to hit the stumps. if he does and team b misses he is on D and so on. LOL
    BRILLIANT !!!


    Let's try some more ideas. They should be 'entertaining' in keeping with the 'spirit' of T20 .

    They could play antakshari !

    I am afraid only Indian and Pakistani fans may recognise the word.
    Last edited by SJS; 16-09-2007 at 09:23 PM.

  10. #55
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,530
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Couldn't agree with this more. This is why I hate the introduction of dancers/cheerleaders and any other references to American sports (like the use of the word dugout).
    Oh, so you don't like that word?
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  11. #56
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Oh, so you don't like that word?
    I think it has to do with being a traditionalist, something cricket fans have loved being over time. Things are changing but cricket WAS different in many respects and anything that makes it look as if we are 'apeing' the 'American' way does make many cringe as they do in other areas of life.

    It may have something to do with the 'Englishness" of the game.

  12. #57
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,530
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I think it has to do with being a traditionalist, something cricket fans have loved being over time. Things are changing but cricket WAS different in many respects and anything that makes it look as if we are 'apeing' the 'American' way does make many cringe as they do in other areas of life.

    It may have something to do with the 'Englishness" of the game.
    Yeah, I agree really. I was just stirring nightprowler up - inside joke.

  13. #58
    State Vice-Captain jot1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    BRILLIANT !!!


    Let's try some more ideas. They should be 'entertaining' in keeping with the 'spirit' of T20 .

    They could play antakshari !

    I am afraid only Indian and Pakistani fans may recognise the word.
    Each side chooses one of the dancing girls to represent their side and let her bowl.

  14. #59
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,029
    How about they get a bowling machine out and 6 batsmen get judged by the 3 umpires on who has the best blocking technique.

    The players would be judged out of 10 and the team with the highest score wins.

  15. #60
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,261
    Drop dead stroke : How about getting five batsmen to block five deliveries by a bowling machine and try to drop them dead. The distance the ball travels for each of the batsmen to be added up and the team with the lower distance wins

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Trinidad and Tobago Super Cup (XI-XII)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 447
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 01:23 AM
  2. Sim a match
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 342
    Last Post: 31-12-2006, 03:03 PM
  3. Academy Rookie averages season 6
    By The Argonaut in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23-08-2005, 06:30 PM
  4. Academy rookie stats
    By The Argonaut in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 07:45 PM
  5. Rookie averages
    By The Argonaut in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-02-2004, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •